Author Topic: type of slide outs rooms  (Read 5964 times)

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
type of slide outs rooms
« on: November 19, 2013, 06:24:16 AM »
and why:  Second set; better than first ? I think.  Front room -couch and refrig (as last) designed as unit with couch frame as part of structure and floor thin only to serve as weather break. It keeps weight down that way. It does have rollers on it like on the S&S units available on Ebay. See pic under busprojects  45xle.  Icebox goes in and out also.  163 inches long.  30 inch travel... I chose a chain drive below the frame because of the length of the slide with a jack shaft. WHY: easily adjustable with a screw adjustment on each end to length of travel to make slide come in even along two tube inside of tube guides below frame.  A simple Overhead garage door opener with limit switches drive and stop the unit.  Seals are like those on a regular camper on this one.  The bedroom slide  is rack and pinion above frame out of a wrecked motorhome and is 8 ft it is 30 inches also and was attached to the original bus wall before I cut it loose.. The third ---across from the bed is much shallower because there is just so much room left to close--this ended up being tube in tube with a screw drive because of height and space restrictions. this slide is only 6 ft and 20 inches deep but when both are extended in the bedroom leaves us 50 inches at the bottom of our bed as a isle way to the rear( the bed head board goes out into the drivers side slide) I didn't use hydraulic Why? Just have had more reliability with the mechanical things you can over-ride with a 1/2 inch ratchet. Lesson learned...Steel roofs   slant down    awning drop   4inches from coach to outside slope  6 inch hangover on each end.  Air bladder would be nice but not realistic in cost for homebuilder(trade-offs)  My slide cost this project  under 2grand awnings and all  28ft of slides.    I have heard pro jobs can be in $1000 per ft or more..  Will share this for info only...  Life is compromise!  We spend extended time in place. Floor space is a building feature for us.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline luvrbus

Re: type of slide outs rooms
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 06:46:39 AM »
Bob, 1000 bucks a ft is a bargain for a slide more like 2000 bucks for the bare slide from places like B&B and HB Industries depends on slide mechanism HWH goes way up in price

Cole had 2 HWH slides installed in his Eagle a few years ago at Vantre in FL it was over 100 grand fwiw   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »
Just put pic up of rear rack and pinion slide on bus projects under 45xle  will try here but not to good at it.  Wrong pic first time this is curb side outside view across from bed slide is also tube in tube with screw drive because of space restrictions.. it extends 20/12 inches  basic debt  of dresser. All finished before last winter.  The two triangles at the bottom are the center of the inside tubes ends .

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 04:53:06 PM »
correct  picture:  first is outside curb slide bedroom. This is rack and pinion drive  tube inside tube.  headboard goes out with slide plus 2 night tables queen bed  50 inches at bottom isle when both extended Isle. If you look close you can see the extra truss work and bridging around the opening.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »
If anyone would like to see the slide sealing material I use on the cheap I will take a picture  it is the same the sticks and staple use.  I try to make sure it gets squeezed between the frame of the slide when it is extended or retracted. Air seal would be nice--Wow --definitely above my pay grade and can't imagine the maintenance and having to keep air pressure to it all the time.  FWIW  Hobby only..

Offline TheHollands!

• thehollands!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 07:57:16 PM »
Bob, I take my hat off to you undertaking a job like this. Pics are great. Craig
The Hollands!
1984 MCI-9
www.tillersandtravelers.wordpress.com
Musical Nomads

Offline busing704

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 08:52:41 PM »
I would like to find someone that could me with a app. 15 ft slide. coach is done so this would be a refit on a 102a3 any rep. Thanks

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 12:15:31 AM »
My only experience with a slide MC8 version (Not mine) was a disaster, due to lack of understanding the structure and the result of cutting the side out.

Otherwise my Foretravel has a fine slide, dinette & couch by HWH, hydraulic, does add a lot of space.  Only issue was a bad DC motor and a 3,000 psi switch in over 104,000 miles, so I am delighted, I travel mostly alone, DW likes staying home sometimes, so do not need the open the slide unless am staying a few days.

It seals up nice, uses a rubber bladder, think skinny inner tube around the room, that inflates and deflates to move the room,  no water leaks, if in snow country, the slide  stays in,
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 05:23:12 AM »
What ever anyone does!! don't  don't  follow my ideal.. I replaced the bus structure with more than original before I cut the holes in the side. Prevost also has a frame.. That is the fact '''  We, Sons friends and I---  do things like this all the time.  Some not so good.  Was just trying to explain here for the::::: crazy   nuts   plum   dumb  that can't be done   crowd    it will break into      fall on the ground ::::    you finish the rest      of the comments .  Life is a adventure !  when does it end?  Do we all need to do it the same way?

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 06:24:19 AM »
Robert,
Actually the rubber air inner tube style seal that HWH uses, works great, mine is still origional, but I am one of the stupid types who use a dry silicone spray where it contacts the room in or out.  Seems the problem tend to be when a slide sequence goes wrong and the operator is clueless, winds up tearing the rubber bladder due to its not being sucked flat by vaccum.  Some units, the slide has to be removed to replace the seal, some can be pushed inside far enough to replace the seal.  Nothing is idiot proof.  Lie I mentioned earlier, in 104,000 miles, I replaced the DC motor on the pump and replaced the 3,000 psi hydraulic pressure switch.
It works for me, but fully agree, any slide is not for everyone.  They do add some cost and maybe a reliability issue if your stuck with it out and need to go.
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 06:34:52 AM »
With the popularity of slides over the years Prevost and MCI both used a beam running the full length of the buses in later years to support the buses for slides fwiw  

The guy BJ in OR made slides work on a MCI 8 he had the engineering co he worked for design a roof truss to support the slides it was slick.

A guy here has slides in a MCI 8 that is a nightmare it sags terrible he has it for sale a long time with no takers  

The Eagle with their truss designed frame was the strongest in the industry even with rust  ::) If I was doing slides they would not have a outside flange like most have they would fit flush like a Foretravel or Newell      
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 10:43:17 AM »
...If I was doing slides they would not have a outside flange like most have they would fit flush like a Foretravel or Newell      

or mine!

Flush slides with no external flanges was one of my design requirements

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal