Author Topic: Need more heat.  (Read 36040 times)

Offline luvrbus

Re: Need more heat.
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2013, 11:00:14 AM »
Wind does plays a big part it will suck the heat out in a hurry in a bus I had a RV with NuHeat in the floors it wasn't all that great,then it wasn't a hydronic it was electric
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2013, 11:25:06 AM »
Any unvented gas heater will produce moisture- catalytic or not.  If your climate already has humidity, condensate can be an issue to deal with.  In deserts, it might not matter.  However, aside from using furnaces, there are vented gas space heaters too.  We have a Platinum Cat that is a vented heater similar to the Olympic.  It only puts out about 5000 BTU's but seems to do fine in the bedroom.  Of course, we have not tested it in the genuine cold that many others have to deal with.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline sledhead

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2013, 03:51:24 PM »
We have in floor radiant heat (water ) with 1 1/2 " foam insulation under floor . When on the road with engine heat 180* the whole coach is as warm as we want . When parked or on the pole I have a 2 gal. elect water heater that will heat the coach until about 25 * f colder then that I use the proheat .I installed a valve on the input to the engine two shut off the eng. heat. So that only to heat the floor . The proheat will keep the coach as warm as we want and dose not cycle on very much . The coldest temp we have been in was 5 * Fahrenheit ( to cold to be camping in ) .        dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline twostick

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2013, 05:49:19 PM »
We have in floor radiant heat (water ) with 1 1/2 " foam insulation under floor . When on the road with engine heat 180* the whole coach is as warm as we want . When parked or on the pole I have a 2 gal. elect water heater that will heat the coach until about 25 * f colder then that I use the proheat .I installed a valve on the input to the engine two shut off the eng. heat. So that only to heat the floor . The proheat will keep the coach as warm as we want and dose not cycle on very much . The coldest temp we have been in was 5 * Fahrenheit ( to cold to be camping in ) .        dave

How "thick" is the floor, what is it made of and how is the grid configured? I've always been a fan of hydronic heat.

Kevin

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2013, 06:13:33 PM »
Heated floors really would make a huge difference. The air temp is fine but the floors are cold. I installed a ceiling fan to distribute the heat from the ceiling back down and it helps tremendously but 20 mph winds and 3 degrees F is really hard to keep coach warmer than 74. That's all heaters running on highest setting. If you have a condensation issue, go out and buy a dehumidifier. I'm telling you, it solves the problem....trust me on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2013, 08:29:21 PM »
Have the Aqua Hot and dual payne windows that are sealed to body very well, so no wind issues.  Dual payne glass is a biggie improvement along with the entrance door being well sealed.
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline georgemci102a2

• 1988 MCI
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2013, 09:26:29 PM »
Scott,I picked up on the moister comment, and agree that if the moisture is taken out the air,walls,furniture,windows etc the easier it will be to heat the bus, and should help the same way cooling the bus. what kind of dehumidifer ya got and where is it placed to cover the entire bus?.... thx. George
1988 mci 102a2/6v92ta/Grovetown,Ga.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2013, 04:25:21 AM »
Problem solved just move to AZ where there is no humidity in the air to remove or insulate the entire bus with silica gel  ;D 

41 degrees at 5am beautiful clear skies you can see every star in the sky, no wind and we will be in the 70's today life is good 

Offline sledhead

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2013, 04:47:11 AM »
radiant floor heat in our coach .

tin foil bubble rap on 1/2" floor
1/2 " pex tube with 6 " centres with metal pex reflective plates
 3/4 " tin foil foam board between each loop
5/8 " ply on top , laminate , carpet flooring
under floor 3/4 " tin foil foam board , tin foil bubble rap

the key is lots of heat from the heat exchanger via engine , proheat , elect. water heater 

I have in floor heat in my shop at work and it's strange how the temperature at 3 ' above the floor is warmer then the temperature  at the ceiling 18' high ?              dave
dave , karen

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2013, 05:16:31 AM »
Which is cheaper to heat with electricity or the hydronic diesel fired systems ?

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: Re: Need more heat.
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2013, 06:04:13 AM »
Problem solved just move to AZ where there is no humidity in the air to remove....

Great Idea Cliff!

We are on our way!

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline saddleup

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2013, 07:05:14 AM »
Arizonas the place,we don,t worry about the price of running heaters or air con. electicity is in the price of our lot rent,so its use it or lose it,....lol   
ALTHOUGH the landlord is charging me 25 more per month,because i am all elect.its still the best deal we have all year.
Yuma,Az

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2013, 07:06:30 AM »
Arizona is tempting for next winter... time and money will dictate
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline sledhead

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2013, 03:40:05 PM »
Cliff  if your on the pole elect. is cheaper but when we are on the road and  stop to sleep and don't have a pole its the gene or the proheat . Usually we have enough residual heat from a full day of driving that I shut it all down ( no heat at all ) In the bedroom with good insulation it's always warm and up front the worst temp. I have had was 52 * f in side when it was 14 * f out side . Fire up the proheat for 10 min. then start the old DD and were off for another day's drive .   

dave
dave , karen

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2013, 03:47:47 PM »
That's what I thought Doyle the TBD has a hydronic heating system in his Eagle bus and with his background with a pencil the 6 or 8 bucks was cheaper than he could run his hydronic system for a day I am not saying he is cheap but he is conservative  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal