Author Topic: Automatic Transfer switch question  (Read 2369 times)

Offline bcbusman

• 1991 Setra S 215 DHD, 1989 MCI 102C3, 1972 Flyer D700A
  • NOT BOUGHT, " BUILT "
    • My Setra build
Automatic Transfer switch question
« on: December 01, 2013, 08:52:22 AM »
Got the POWERMAX PMTS-30 and did hook it up as follows, shore line : black to L1, white to NEUTRAL, green to ground, same for the generator and control panel. When hooked up to shore , no problem I have power, when I disconect and start the generator after 30 seconds I hear the click and see green LED on the transfer switch but no power. I'm using the L14-30R plug for the gen set, conected black to X, white to W and Green to G on the plug so I can use 110V 1 phase but no power. On the gen set it says that it has floating neutral but I don't think it has anything to do with it. Why is not powering up my control panel ? Should I plug in into the regular outlet on the generator ? The generator i'm using is a Vertex 7500.
P.S. I did remove the jumpers on the transfer switch
Thank you in advance

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
Re: Automatic Transfer switch question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »
Talk to the Mfg but I wouldn't be suprised to find that the switch thinks there is not a complete circuit in the genny because of the floating neutral.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: Automatic Transfer switch question
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 03:44:46 AM »
If the generator has a 15 amp plug as well as the Nema L14-30, you can make up a neutral-ground bond plug by tying neutral to ground inside a plug and inserting into the 15 amp outlet.  Not having neutral bonded to ground should have no effect on the transfer switch operation, though.  The transfer switch is just a relay with a timing section.  Mine works fine with an un-bonded generator.  What jumpers did you remove - none of the instructions for the PMTS-30 make mention of any jumpers.  Do you have a voltmeter to look to see if you have generator voltage at the input to the switch?

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal