Author Topic: mini-split / Arcadia  (Read 5008 times)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
mini-split / Arcadia
« on: December 06, 2013, 05:49:11 AM »
Anyone going to be at Arcadia that is using or plans to use a mini-split system?  I'm installing one, but would like to see what others have done for the outdoor unit.

I'm near Tampa, Florida now.

Dave
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline Bill 340

• rvwindshieldcovers.com
Re: mini-split / Arcadia
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 07:57:35 PM »
I don't know who had  that system, but in the past I have seen them  at the  Arcadia rally, lots of new faces coming this year, so its hard to say, come on down and join the fun, with or without the bus, you never know you may leave with a split system installed, I remember a fellow losing his clutch getting to the rally,  And yes the guys helped him install another on site,  lots of great guys and tremendous amount of FREE knowledge  running around there,   See ya in Arcadia,  Bill  arcadiarally.com
Bill & Brenda Phelan
Lakeland florida..........Host of the ARCADIA RALLY

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »
We'll be there this year....with the bus, and with the mini-split system, just not installed yet.  Need ideas and advice.

Dave

P.S.  We're not far from Arcadia now....closer to Tampa
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 06:02:56 AM »
I installed a one ton mini in 2007 and last year in Yuma it stalled and burned the wiring inside  both units. I had too large of breaker 20 amp and it didn't trip. When I got home I pulled both units and rewired them and installed a new start cap and reinstalled them added the lost 410. I has been working just fine since and also replaced the 20 amp breaker with a 15. Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline Gordie Allen

• THIS OLD BUS
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 12:36:29 PM »
I've had mine running for about two months.  Right now the bus is home (Augusta, MI) and is set to lowest heating setting 64F.  Has kept the bus at that temp when it was close 10F last night.  Installed in a 4104 front left bay.  I made a second expanded SS bay door from parts bus for the smaller front bay door.  I have two 9000 BTU 120v units.  Cools fine at 85F, but that's the warmest ambient we've been in.  Headed to San Mateo, CA in two weeks.  Plan on being at Quartzsite in Jan.  Bus is operational, but not finished.

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 01:00:21 PM »
Jerry:good hands on referring to breaker size..will address that on my system. thanks!  Gordie: nice pic-neat work.. looks tight and secure..think that is the secret to making these work in our conditions.  best of luck guys.  bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 08:16:30 AM »
Bill, you said, "I remember a fellow losing his clutch getting to the rally,  And yes the guys helped him install another on site,", does that mean I should tow our bus down, and we would leave with a first class conversion!"
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline Gordie Allen

• THIS OLD BUS
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 10:21:08 AM »
Jerry:good hands on referring to breaker size..will address that on my system. thanks!  Gordie: nice pic-neat work.. looks tight and secure..think that is the secret to making these work in our conditions.  best of luck guys.  bob

Outer units are lag bolted down with lines anchored every foot or so.  Inside units are hung on 2x12's glued and screwed to partitions.  Objective is to eliminate vibration between components as much as possible.  They run VERY quietly - like wispier quiet.  I have a backup propane furnace for really cold conditions and for limited electric access.  I restored the over-the-road heating system with new heater cores and cleaning of all ducting.
Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 05:56:21 AM »
We put two in our bus. I have the pictures of the inside and outside units installed on our bus build thread here:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=22081.0

I wish you success, my friend!
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline Bill 340

• rvwindshieldcovers.com
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »
Jack Hart cant promise anything, just that you will have a good time, may have to tow it home though,  That type of stuff is between you all, My job is to  organize , collect and pay for the event, along with a few  volunteers we  Giter Done ok,  Again we are blessed with The great White Eagle (Here on the board)  as our Rally M C,  Certainly a  labor of love, for him and a blessing for us,  gates will open  8am on Dec 26, if you are in town we will be there the eve of the 25, so you dont have to sleep on the streets come on in,  Today we recieved the  Bus Conversion Magazine to place in the welcome packets, courtesy of BCM. as always a great supporter of this rally,  BCM and their staff we thank you again for your continued support,  Bill and Brenda,   arcadiarally.com
Bill & Brenda Phelan
Lakeland florida..........Host of the ARCADIA RALLY

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal