Author Topic: Looking for a cheap toad  (Read 27034 times)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
Re: Looking for a cheap toad
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »
  I have a 2003 TDI Jetta, but won't tow it because it doesn't have sufficient ground clearance. There are several reports on the web of taking out the oil pan from some larger debris. It won't straddle a medium dead groundhog.

I won't ask how you know  ;D
But, isn't the problem the same if you drive the car over the groundhog or pull it over the groundhog?

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline HB of CJ

VW Rabbit Diesel 1980 Through 1984?
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 03:06:32 PM »
Later the better.  Five speed manual.  Factory A/C if possible.  Go for the 1600 cc engine with the bigger head bolts and water pump.  Expect to pay around $3500 for a cherry 4 door that has been almost completely rebuilt.  Tow gear may still be obtainable.  Can tow wheels down.  48 to 52 mpg.  No electronical stuff at all.  We loved ours.  HB of CJ (old coot)

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 04:03:31 PM »
     I have a 2003 TDI Jetta, but won't tow it because it doesn't have sufficient ground clearance. ... 

I have the metal under-engine skid plate for that reason.  Works driving or towing.   BH   NC   USA
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline muldoonman

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 05:12:30 PM »
 Panzer Plate for protection if you're driving a VW. Solid Aluminum plate. I installed  one on a 96 Beetle Bug cause you couldn't run over a 24 oz. beer can without it hitting bottom. 295 bucks and easy to install

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 06:48:39 PM »
We towed a Camry on a dolly. She now has 276,000 miles on her but drives excellent still. Sean can attest to that. We currently are flat towing a 6000 lb. Toyota Land Cruiser. It's a beast. But we love it. Sean tows an even heavier conversion van...but it is also their second living room when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 07:13:33 PM »
   Panzer Plate for protection if you're driving a VW. Solid Aluminum plate. I installed  one on a 96 Beetle Bug cause you couldn't run over a 24 oz. beer can without it hitting bottom. 295 bucks and easy to install 

Yep.   

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 07:17:02 PM »
  thanks John, I hadn't thought of That.      :)

anyone tow a VW beetle manual?  the modern kind, not the air cooled. 

The "new Beetle" from about 1998 through about 2008 was built on the A4 body pan so the discussion of the transmission etc. that is above also applies.  The "new new Beetle" from about 2011, I don't know about.  But it looks bigger, heavier, and more complicated.

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 04:23:55 AM »
   I have a 2003 TDI Jetta, but won't tow it because it doesn't have sufficient ground clearance. There are several reports on the web of taking out the oil pan from some larger debris. It won't straddle a medium dead groundhog.

Chessie: As others have suggested, get a Panzer Plate for your Jetta's engine protection. See here:

http://www.dieselgeek.com/Volkswagen_and_Audi_skid_plate_kits_s/1829.htm
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 06:15:02 AM »
   Yeah, I've seen them discussed on fredstdipage.com. So far, I try to avoid hitting anything. (fingers crossed) Mine 2003, 5speed, 230k
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 07:16:13 AM »
Hi All, I always try to avoid hitting things too! But 70mph on an old desert 2 lane hiway, in a 1979 volks rabbit, met two dogs mating, I guess the beatiful full moon was too much for them, in the middle of the road, slaming on the brakes didnt help much, so let the brakes go and rolled over them, as they tumbled under the car, stopping shortly after, backed into the gully, to see them still attached, scampering away! No damage, to anything but the bumber tweaked a little. Good car back then, manual 4 speed and flat towable, the pickup version has become a cult classic, especially the diesel version. More recently, my 93 jeep yj was being flat towed behing the Italian Greyhound, qon a major LA fwy, normally the jeep is dead solid in the rear view camera, all of a sudden the jeep is weeving back and forth in camera frame, just as I got on the off ramp near where the bus parks. I pulled over to discover one of the tow bar arms had broken off and the jeep was attached by one arm, the broken piece dragging on the road, still attached by the chains, the brake buddy never engaged! The jeeps stability saved the day, who knows what a lesser vehicle might have done, maybe flipped over or tumbleed around, possibly hurting a lot of people and property. But it stayed steady all by itself and Im convinced its a great toad. lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline Ralph7

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 07:56:32 AM »
   Bought   tows (3) off craigs list from different parts  of the country, some had cables missing  but chains are cheep. Saved 3-6 hundred on each, look at Hitch trader also.  I buy new adapter for each vehicle, to make certain I get all the correct parts and instructions. Look at the 88 Susukies 4x4 $1500-3500, I had a 98 Grand Cherokee, 200,000mi., now tow  a Dodge diesel 2500, 4x4 and haul my RZR . 
     Also for a small Pickup that has a driveshaft disconnect, the kits are about $600.00.     

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 10:44:49 AM »
   I had a Roadmaster5000 tow bar my dad purchased some years back, but never used. I found the used tow brackets for my Suzuki after about 6 months watching for them on Ebay. All I need yet is electric hook up, for lighting. New adapters are very pricey, so use a popular toad and keep an eye out for the tow pieces you need, OR you can fabricate your own if you're into that. BTW, Suzuki's are somewhat popular for toads, and one set fits most Vitaras and Chevy Trackers, 2 or 4 doors, except the newest ones. And you can tow the automatics, like mine with transfer case in neutral.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: Looking for a cheap toad
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 04:13:30 PM »
Dave -

Im sure you probably thought of all  this but some addl costs you may have not yet budgeted for.  On our tow vehicle it cost 300 for the towplate, 300 for the towbar (was 600 new), 100 for wires parts and pieces and another 150 for the roadmaster tow defender. 

We also got a driveline disconnect installed as well as having to get a brake assist device for the van.  Those two combined were not cheap at all.

So don't forget to budget all the little stuff your gonna need for that cheap toad. 

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 04:59:56 PM »
^^^ what he said....unless you get a truck with a transfer case you can put in neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Like Chessie4905 I am sold on the Suzuki/Geo Tracker.  They are dirt cheap and as long as you choose a 1989 or newer (electronic fuel injection so it starts and runs fine at any elevation) and a 2X4 you can tow 4 down.  Just for OOOOO"s and Ahhhhh"s I put a '59 Morris Minor woodie body on my '89 Tracker 4X4.  With the 4X4 you do have to stop every 100 miles and run the toad to lube the transfer case but I need to get out and stretch and pee about every 100 miles any way sooo-

M' Toad

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal