Author Topic: Looking for a cheap toad  (Read 26964 times)

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
Re: Looking for a cheap toad
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 02:42:18 AM »
Strictly speaking that's a Morris Traveller rather than a Morris Minor - but either way I don't imagine there are many of them in the States.

Putting Moggy bodies on 4x4 chassis is surprisingly popular!:

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 05:14:56 AM »
I have a few cars in my sites on CL in the area (Tampa area).  I prefer small, just because I'm tired of pulling the weight of my Impala and dolly up the hills.  But, I'm not crazy about the harsh ride of some small 4x4s as a daily driver.  We may still make the occasional Michigan to Vermont drive without the bus.  I'm looking at:
a 2000 Volvo 2-door manual shift 150,000 miles, $2000(I'm a Volvo fan),
a 2007 Saturn Ion, 4-door, automatic, 84,000 miles $3100 (more than I want to spend)
a clean 1998 Saturn 4-door, automatic, 100,000 miles, $1850 (hmmm)
a nice 1998 Chevy Tracker, soft top (not a positive for me), 117,000 miles, clean, $2300
a clean 2000 Saturn 4-door, 4-door, automatic,  110,000 miles, $2000

None of these come with tow equipment.  I saw one Saturn that was all set up with blue-ox, wiring, the whole thing, but the car was worse than I want to deal with.  

Dave

P.S.  Love those kit cars, but I have a project car sitting in a barn in Michigan... WAY too much money invested.. and it sits.  Would have made a nice toad, if I could get it done.  http://triumph.tikvahmarketing.com/
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 05:48:54 AM »
  ... I have a project car sitting in a barn in Michigan...

I see it's for sale.  Unfortunately, I have too much "British paint" (also known as "Eagle undercoat") to deal with right now.  But it's sure a nice car!

BH  NC   USA
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline TexasBorderDude

• Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society
  • Nothing simple is ever easy...
    • WheresDoyle
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 06:29:36 AM »
I have a few cars in my sites on CL in the area (Tampa area)...
a 2007 Saturn Ion, 4-door, automatic, 84,000 miles $3100 (more than I want to spend)

Man, I'd jump at that one.  Mine's virtually maintenance free in over 100k driven and towed miles. 

However, guaranteed to get less that 50 miles on a set of new front tires, if the steering is locked when towed, right Clifford?
A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.

Offline saddleup

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 06:42:52 AM »
Tikvah, Should of came to Yuma..lol..Lady that bought my jeep, has a little car of somekind all set up blue ox,good lookin little car,2,200,could be bought for a little less.
Yuma,Az

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 07:24:50 AM »
Hi Dave, I was always concerened that a soft top was an invitation, on a towed vehicle, to slice open a top and take a brake buddy, or other expensive brake assist equipment, lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 08:13:04 AM »
I don't think a Volvo can be towed 4 down.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2013, 08:21:23 AM »
Tikvah, Should of came to Yuma..lol..Lady that bought my jeep, has a little car of somekind all set up blue ox,good lookin little car,2,200,could be bought for a little less.

What's a Yuma?

I don't think a Volvo can be towed 4 down.

How do I find out?  I have been to site after site looking for lists.  Some have suggested FMCA, but they require membership.

Dave
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2013, 02:42:41 PM »
We once had a '98 Volvo.  I spoke to Remco to ask what would make it towable.  They said it would have to be on a trailer--not even a dolly. You could call them to verify if the particular model you are looking at is towable at all.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 04:05:19 AM »
Dave, when you look at a car look at the owners manual. The towing section will tell you all you need to know about it.  No owners manual? i would walk away from it. Don't believe what the owner tells you, don't believe what the dealer tells you, don't believe what the salesman or mechanic tells you because none of these people will be the ones paying for the damage to the car if what they tell you is wrong.....get the owners manual for that year/model of car. Things can change even in mid year for some cars. Also if you can get one already set up for towing it will save you a lot of money.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 04:56:42 AM »
Ed, I'd love to find one all set up.  I guessed when I brought my impala down that it would be easy to find a toad all set up....but I was wrong.
No luck at all
I've looked a a few Saturns, but mostly junk so far
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!

Offline crown

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 02:03:54 PM »
 we bought a saturn on cragislist tows great we also found the tow bar base plate
on cragislist and the owner shipped it to us try a cragslist search
john
 57 crown
 costa rica

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 02:51:30 PM »
Yup, I've been all over craigslist...have the app, check it twice to see who has been....... Okay, it's Craigslist

I can tell you I've gone to see a number of cars, listed for only a few thousand that were described as "mint" or "showroom",  " cherry".
Really?  Do junk yards have showrooms?  Every car so far has been really bad, well all except one.  I found a Volvo c70 two door that was listed with "5 speed manual" .   Made the drive, the car was an automatic.  How do you make a mistake like that?

Anyway, I'll keep looking.  I figured Florida would be the land of plenty.  Old guy dies and the wife doesn't want to tow the car.  Must be everywhere - wrong

:)
Dave
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »
Found a 'Daihatsu Rocky'.  It's a 1992
Anybody ever heard of one?   It's a 5 speed manual 4x4

It's been towed most of its life and comes with the tow equipment.

I've never even heard the name.... but wife thinks it's cute.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal