Author Topic: Haven't touched the mc9 in over 7mo  (Read 7990 times)

Offline Jnbroadbent

Haven't touched the mc9 in over 7mo
« on: January 03, 2014, 09:48:30 AM »
Kinda sad thinking about it. Went off to work for about 4 months then moved, bus is about 45 mins away.

I was hoping it'd be done by spring. But I think I'll be picking up new tires this month! Got all the rigid foam for the interior. Need to get back at it!

Just wanted to make a random thread. Carry on.
Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl

Offline Oonrahnjay

Re: Haven't touched the mc9 in over 7mo
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:10:18 AM »
   Yeah, I'm off for a few weeks of work in about a week; I won't be able to get back to the bus until about March.  But then I'll have a good shot at things again.   Good luck with the work on your bus, Jon.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:46:24 AM »
I had to park mine in the "boat shed" for the winter, which is what I call the larger of my two out-buildings because the previous owner manufactured off-shore fishing boats in it.  The smaller building, the "bus barn", got rented to a local business who needed to re-deck and paint a 40' lobster/tuna boat and had run out of space in their shop.  Neat boat, such a simple fiberglass hull, big Volvo 6 cylinder turbo diesel sitting smack dab in the middle of the hull under the mid-deck.  Anyway, to your point about touching the bus I now regularly hit my head on the mirror when I walk by and aren't paying attention...  I go in and check on the battery trickle-charge every once in a while, other than that sleeping until spring.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
   Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on new tires till you're close to using it, especially since they are supposed to be replaced after approx 8 years. You could easily run into more issues that could drag on for a week or several months. Several years ago, I bought new tires for my ACF Brill-11:00xR22....six of them, while I was making big changes to install a rear mounted diesel. Never got to use them. Still have four mounted staring at me in the shop.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline TomC

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 11:40:49 AM »
I have much the same issue-my bus warehouse is 42 miles from my house. I'm hoping eventually I can buy a house with enough room to put a 60' x 40' RV garage. This so I have enough room also for a wood shop. But-is hard to find a 3/4 acre lot in the city. Good luckk, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 12:39:39 PM »
I've mentioned before that I specifically bought a fairly unusual 'short' full-size bus (if that isn't a contradiction in terms) because I couldn't maneuver the full-length version into my yard. Being able to park at home is excellent, except I don't have nearly enough room to be able to erect a building to put it in, so the entire conversion (including roof raise and multiple slideouts etc) is being done outside. At the moment I'm still at the stage of having tarpaulins covering big holes in the bodywork - which isn't too bad during the summer but at this time of year weeks can go by without any work getting done.

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline belfert

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 12:57:33 PM »
I have room to erect a building on my lot, but the city only allows for 750 square feet of buildings other than the house and the 600 sq ft attached garage has to be subtracted from the 750 sq ft.

Tom, I couldn't even imagine the cost of a 3/4 acre lot in Southern California if you could even find one.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 05:35:13 PM »
I had to park mine in the "boat shed" for the winter, which is what I call the larger of my two out-buildings because the previous owner manufactured off-shore fishing boats in it.  The smaller building, the "bus barn", got rented to a local business who needed to re-deck and paint a 40' lobster/tuna boat and had run out of space in their shop.  Neat boat, such a simple fiberglass hull, big Volvo 6 cylinder turbo diesel sitting smack dab in the middle of the hull under the mid-deck.  Anyway, to your point about touching the bus I now regularly hit my head on the mirror when I walk by and aren't paying attention...  I go in and check on the battery trickle-charge every once in a while, other than that sleeping until spring.

Brian

Where are you located Brian?
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 10:59:54 PM »
Hi All, Tom I keep my 5A in Acton (lancaster/palmdale area of LA County), but every Nov, I bring her up to LV for the Dam Rally and to do some work on her. I too would love to have a cheap place in LA, to store the bus and work on her, lets all getogether and rent a lot and shop, you know what, why dont we get busnuts in every region to pull together and start our own network of lots and shops! Wait a minute,,, was that my inside or outside voice saying that? lvmci
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 03:56:30 AM »
Steve, I am in Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia Canada.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 06:02:44 AM »
I agree with Chessie.  I wasted a lot of money on tires and batteries while the bus sat unused.  If you are seriously going to tin-tent with it, that's fine. Otherwise, hold off on tires and batteries until you are ready for the road.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline Oregonconversion

• Somethingforever.com
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 11:37:53 AM »
I hope y'all try real hard to start the engine at least once a month!!! You don't want rust on your cylinder walls!!! 
1977 MC8
8V92 HT740

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 11:40:44 AM »
I hope y'all try real hard to start the engine at least once a month!!! You don't want rust on your cylinder walls!!! 

Yup - as long as you get in it and drive it sufficiently to thoroughly warm everything up.

Firing it up and letting it idle does more harm than letting it sit.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 04:36:22 PM »
  You could plug in the block heater once a month for 8 hours.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Jnbroadbent

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 12:50:10 PM »
So this happened so it was the universe telling
Me to work on it.

Jon
1980 Mc9 w/ veg oil
8v71
Jacksonville Fl

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal