Author Topic: Propane tank  (Read 9764 times)

Offline bignuf

Propane tank
« on: April 22, 2006, 10:50:44 PM »
I'm converting a AM General transit bus and need to know where I can get a propane tank.
about 50-100 gal. like the ones that used to be mounted across the bed of a pickup.
Any help finding a source would be appreciated
Thanks

DrDave

Re: Propane tank
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 09:48:11 AM »
Check your local propane supplier. And remember that he is the one that has to fill it
so will be more in the know as to what you need to do to make it safe.

You probably will need a  D.O.T. certified, RV style tank and they are not cheap and not cheap to
plumb up for use either..

Others may tell you that you can use a house style tank stuck in a bay.... :o

Just because they did it does not mean it's correct or safe. Propane is a risky business
if you don't follow the installation rules.

Offline FareMaster

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 09:56:27 AM »
How about a couple of those tanks that are mounted to propane fork lifts?

Offline Dale MC8

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 11:47:13 AM »
"You probably will need a  D.O.T. certified, RV style tank and they are not cheap and not cheap to
plumb up for use either.."

It will actually be a ASME tank. The DOT tanks are the removable ones. That being said, when you design your system it may be to your advantage to 'design in' a DOT tank for those times you need LP and don't want to break camp just to drive over and fill the main tank. Just take the smaller tank to be filled. A big convenience at times.

My 2 cents worth.

Dale MC8
Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.

DrDave

Re: Propane tank - Dale is correct...
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 05:26:32 PM »
ASME - yes that is correct.. DOT is the portable tank.. Sorry.. :-\

Fork lift tanks are horizontal and can be tapped for vapor-only.. They are also 33 lb tanks.
that might work and you wouldn't necessarily be stranded as they are portable...

Offline dave870

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 05:52:46 PM »
Try auto wreckers that have pick-ups.  I picked up a 42 gallon tank for $50 with more than 30 gallons of propane.

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 06:00:58 PM »
get a propane tank.
about 50-100 gal. like the ones that used to be mounted across the bed of a pickup.
Any help finding a source would be appreciated
Thanks

May I ask what you plan to operate off LP?  You're going to have a lot of LP on board for the usual RV stuff.  Unless you plan to operate an LP genset, or do cold weather camping and heat with LP, you could get off with a couple 40 lb portable RV style tanks.   That's what I use.  May use one every other year.  Run the fridge and hot water full time, when camping.   Cook with it too. 
You're also going to lose valuable storage space with the huge LP tank. 
Filling fixed tanks can be a PITA...especially in a bus.  You may have someplace convenient...course you only have to fill once or twice in a lifetiime!  ;)
As has been stated, fixed tanks require a good bit of code compliance (and common sense sez this isn't something to dink around with) and can be quite expensive to install properly.
Good Luck, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 06:34:58 PM »
I have seen in the local bus wrecking yard, Propane tanks from NJ tranit buses.
These are big tanks, but they were already in service.
I believe these buses were propane assisted?
You might give that a try.
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

DrDave

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 08:57:18 PM »
AIR tanks from the 87 models for the air starter. The MC9's with the DDEC's and ugly front caps were mostly air started.
took up almost the whole rear bay.

83's were mostly electric start. Mine was, But I looked at 20 of the 87's and all had air...

Offline Chuck Newman

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 11:34:13 PM »
Bignuf,

I have a 50 gallon ASME tank I got from my propane supplier.  It fits in the bay with room to spare.  Cost me $50.00 and was in very good condition.  Visit all the local propane suppliers in your area.  My tank has both liquid and vapor valves.  MAKE SURE YOU USE ONLY THE VAPOR PORT TO RUN YOUR APPLIANCES.  That said, you need to know what you are doing.  If you are not familiar with NFPA 1192 that covers all aspects of propane in RV's/busses, forget doing it yourself.  Many issues involved, but one pertaining to vehicles is you cannot by Code have a tank more than 200 lbs of propane.  That amounts to 44 gallons.  My 50 gallon tank when filled to the maximum legal 85% gives me 42.5 gallons onboard.  So forget a house size tank and plumb a smaller on to NFPA code like the commercial RV manufacturers do.  Otherwise if you have an incident, someone may be injured or killed, you may go jail, your bus won't pay for the legal costs, and the insurance company will not pay the claim.  By the way, if you study the code and follow it, you will find among other things, their are two types of containers for propane: DOT cylinders and ASME tanks.  Two different animals with different safety mechanisms, different thickness, etc., etc.  By the way, DOT cylinders are manufactured to operate either horizontal or vertical, but not both.  Good luck.
1989 MCI 102A3, Series 50, DDEC III, Allison 740D

Offline bignuf

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 11:30:42 PM »
Hey, thanks you guys.
I'm getting a whole new perspective on what I need for a tank.
Good points Chuck.  I'm going to check the NFPA regs.
My gen-set is propane and the all the usual appliances, so feel I want to maximize my capabilities.

BIGNUF

Offline bruceknee

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 03:51:18 AM »
Bignuf,
I have a tank that is 18" in dia. 84" long, has a vapor and liquid port, fuel guage on tank,  sending unit for electric fuel guage and mounting brackets. It is showing 1/4 tank on the guage. Richard Bower may know the gallons it will hold, he got it's twin from me. I will take $###.## for it. It's in Delaware. Email me for info. No $ amounts allowed on board until the items for sale issue has been worked out. What a great board so far!
Bruce Knee

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 05:08:52 AM »
The tank was almost full when I got it from Bruce with a nice 6 kw genset and I have never used it so I really do not know what the tank capacity is.
BTW, it is not available for sale. I got it to use as an emergency power source. We have ice storms here occasionally that take the power out for several days.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal