Author Topic: Which fluid for Transmission?  (Read 8868 times)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Which fluid for Transmission?
« on: February 13, 2014, 02:13:07 PM »
I know this has been gone through before, but I have a specific purpose for reviewing it.  I currently have an MT647.  It is running fine but has a significant leak in around where it connects to the engine.  Since it seems to me that it can not be fixed without removing the engine/trans from the bus, which I do not want to do, I am looking for a thicker fluid in the hope of slowing the leak a bit.  I think I remember people saying they have used 30wt motor oil instead of transmission fluid.  Does anyone have specific experience with that?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline wg4t50

Re: Which fluid for Transmission?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:58:27 PM »
I did that #30 wt oil in a 55 Chevy Power Glide, did fine for a while but let me sit when it pushed the seal out where the torque converter slid into the Power Glide, dumped the oil and I was in need of a tow.  That was 1960 when on liberty as a Jarhead 72 hr pass.
I would fix it while you have better choices.
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 05:33:44 PM »
Lin I had one and just tightened the bolts and it pretty much sealed it up.
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »
The leak will only get worse-get it fixed properly. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline gus

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:04:20 PM »
I'm having the same problem with my V730, 2 qts leak overnight!!

I'm thinking but haven't come up with a solution yet.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline AndyG

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 07:27:07 AM »
Automatic transmissions do not like "substitute" fluids.  ATF is not simply a light weight oil.  It has different additives to help it lubricate as well as help the clutch plates grip properly.  Auto transmissions are also complex hydraulic systems which rely on the viscosity of the fluid to work correctly.  I think that most Allisons use Dexron fluid so stick with that.  As unpleasant as it sounds, you need to do a little investigating.  Get under the coach and clean things up to identify where the fluid is actually coming from.  Maybe you will get lucky and discover that it is only a lose plug/bolt/hose.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 08:49:43 AM »
The HT 600 and 700 series can use about any type oil  the 15/40 is a common oil used and it is approved for Allison but I think the heavier the oil it is going to make the leak worse in time but give the 15/40 a shot it may work for you   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »
Thanks- I will look again to see if there is something that I can tighten to help.  I did show it to an independent transmission mechanic yesterday who said that one would have to get the engine separated from the transmission to fix whatever is leaking.  However, I was not to impressed with his knowledge.

It took me a long time to figure where the fluid was leaking because there were never significant amounts of oil on or under the bus.  When I noticed that it seemed moist around the plug on the housing between the engine and transmission, I removed the plug and the fluid poured out.  I did not see any way to get at what would be inside, but maybe there is.

Clifford, with regard to using 15/40 oil-- could the change over be done gradually by adding quarts as needed or would I have to change it all at once?

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »
When you check your transmission is your dipstick always in all the way or is it pushed out??Are you checking it hot with engine running or cold??  you prob are doing right but others reading might not know answers.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 05:26:54 PM »
Thanks Bob, but the engine is running and hot, on reasonably level ground, using the whole transmission dipstick.

Do you think that making the dipstick longer could be a temporary fix?

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
Lin, your problem is going to get worse and leave you the road when it goes,you are close to United Transmission Exchange have them check it for you,small leaks on Allison's turn into gushers in time fwiw 

Allison sells the kit with the pump gasket,seal,0-rings and the washers the kit is cheap the labor is not so cheap neither is the snap ring fixture I paid 385 bucks for one to install a $15.00 seal ouch!!!! maybe this spring I can find some time and help you,when you guys install the lockup for the torque converter for jakes sooner or later one is going to pay the price BTDT

good luck

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »
Thanks for the reality check. I should really get a handle on the cost of the fix.  United Transmission is in San Bernardino-- about 2 hours at bus speeds.  Incidentally, this problem predates the Jake lockup project.  I've actually had it from the very beginning when the transmission was installed almost three years ago.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 06:40:34 PM »
Was that a rebuilt or a take out Don installed in your bus ?

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »
Lin; Just have to remind myself sometimes we have new readers that  need a little background and overfill transmissions and engines doing more harm than good..  Did'nt think about a longer dipstick---good one!   had a filter (spin on) gasket start leaking on a 750 thought I was in for a major!! got lucky and changed filter..  got lucky!!   ;D
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Re: Re: Which fluid for Transmission?
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 07:43:49 PM »
It was a rebuilt from Az/Global.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal