Author Topic: 4107, Sell or Scrap -- looking for suggestions  (Read 9804 times)

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
4107, Sell or Scrap -- looking for suggestions
« on: February 13, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »
I haven't posted in quite a while, but looking for suggestions in case someone here has a better idea.  Bit of background.  We bought the 4107 a few years ago, and were in the process of redoing the interior.  While it was in the storage lot, it got hit in the front end (guy that hit us called right away, his insurance paid for the full front end rebuild).  Took quite a while for the repairs, when I went to pick it up, bad alternator -- thus alternator rebuild.

Got it back to the storage lot (about 4 miles from the house, so can't work on it in the back yard.)  We almost sold it, but at the last minute the wife got cold feet -- and I still appreciate Marc (Jumpsuit Man) understanding the situation at the time. 

Not only have I not been to the coach in over a year, but I've had major eye surgery.  One eye done last September, waiting for full healing to schedule the other eye.  While they say full vision should be restored eventually, we've decided that the coach doesn't really fit what we want to do.  We had our first trip to Europe last summer, want to go again.  Another factor is the amount of money I've already put into mechanicals on a 45+ year old coach -- and the possiblity of having to put more in.  Wife finally agrees that it's become more of an albatross than something we'd actually want to use -- and that car/hotel is a lot cheaper in the end. 

So, the most logical thing is to dispose of the coach.  That also stops the ongoing costs -- storage, registration, insurance.  I figure those costs alone total around $1200/year.   

My thought is to have it towed to the scrapyard, as painful as that is.  Since I haven't started the coach in so long, the new batteries are probably dead -- and maybe sulfated.  Of course, inspection sticker also expired -- thus a tow job rather than driving it (even if I could see properly).  While I hate to waste the low-time rebuilt starter, alternator, etc. -- I'm not in a position to harvest them/part out the coach.

So, other than having it towed to the scrapper, does anyone have a better suggestion?

Arthur   
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline TomC

Re: 4107, Sell or Scrap -- looking for suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:10:37 PM »
So what I gather-seeing Europe is more important then seeing North America. If you haven't seen all of the United States and Canada-including Alaska, why waste your time and money traveling to Europe? Europe will cost more then traveling in the bus. Get your eyes fixed and finish the bus-you'll always be proud that way. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline hatchhome

• Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks your NUTS!
  • My wife is looking for the bus nut cure.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 07:25:37 PM »
Arthur, The truth of it is if its gutted and its not running its probably worth the same scrapped as you will get someone to pay. Heres the thing, its history, when that history is gone its gone. Maybe you can find a museum that you can donate to for a tax write off. I would give you more then scrap value if I was closer as I love the 4107. Good luck and travel anywhere your heart desires. But I will say it must have been a dream of yours to travel in this baby and its sad to see you have to let it go.
Cameron Hatch
New Orleans, LA
504-250-4838

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:29:31 PM »
Arthur,

Sorry to hear about your eyes. Hope you heal quickly.

I agree with you. If nobody wants it for more than scrap, I would scrap it. Realistically, it will always be a money pit. You will breathe easier when you don't have it.

FWIW

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »
Arthur -

Sorry to hear about your eyesight problems, my friend!  Hard to do a runcut in that situation, eh?  (Industry joke, for those of you who aren't familiar with transit jargon.)

Hate to see you scrap your 4107!  There's a busnut out there somewhere who'd be interested in your coach, you just have to find him/her!  Here's my suggestion:

JL Vickers (RoadRunnerTex) is just down the road a bit from you in Palestine, TX.  He's got plenty of room on his property to park your Buffalo, and would probably be more than willing to help you sell it.  After all, he's got a Buffalo, too, albeit a 4905.  He's also got a family member that lives in Plano, which is really close to you.

I wouldn't worry about an inspection sticker for simply moving the bus from your place to JLV's, just get a temporary 30-day registration from the DMV, telling the technician you need it to move the coach to a service facility.

Then sit down with John and work out a plan, but give yourself plenty of time.  As you know, it's easy to buy a bus, but much harder to sell one.  Price it to sell, even in this depressed market.   

I'm also guessing that if you topped off the water and charged each battery separately, you might bring them back to life enough to get the coach started for the run to JLV's.  Get a neighbor's teenager to assist you getting the batteries from the coach to your house for charging and then back again.

If you're interested in having JLV help you, send me a PM and I'll share his contact info.

FWIW & HTH. . .

RJ
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Scott Crosby

• Bus Grease Monkey Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 04:20:02 AM »
Why would you come to a site where people love buses, and announce that you are going to murder your bus?  Go to a dog lovers website and announce that you bought a dog but no longer have time for it so your either going to shoot it in the head, or maybe try to sell it.  I get sick over hearing about a bus getting scrapped.  They can't all be saved but just scrapping it because your plans have changed is not an excuse that a real bus lover wants to hear.

Go watch some videos of buses being scrapped before you make a decision. Maybe the graphic carnage will change your mind.  I personally would rather give a bus to a good home than sell it for scrap. 

Am I the only person that gets my panties all up in a bunch about people scrapping buses?  Maybe I need a bus intervention.
61 GM Fishbowl TDH 4516 102" 35'
1947 GM PD 3751
www.busgreasemonkey.com

Offline muldoonman

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 04:32:03 AM »
[quote

Go watch some videos of buses being scrapped before you make a decision. Maybe the graphic carnage will change your mind.  I personally would rather give a bus to a good home than sell it for scrap. 

Am I the only person that gets my panties all up in a bunch about people scrapping buses?  Maybe I need a bus intervention.
[/quote]

Or a 4107.

Offline scanzel

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 05:32:06 AM »
Lets be kind here. This person has a medical issue and is trying to make the best choice here for himself and the bus. Wether he wants to see Europe or the USA is not the issue here it is what to do with the bus. If some one cannot buy it or make a good suggestion your opinions should be kept to your self. I hate to see a bus scraped too but we can't all own several buses. The Texas suggestion sounds like a possibility.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
Re: Re: 4107, Sell or Scrap -- looking for suggestions
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 06:23:46 AM »
Maybe figure out a price and post it somewhere free and leave a link to it. Someone here will probably pm you to ask questions etc and it may be sold in a reasonable amount of time. Good luck with your eyes.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 08:11:04 AM »
A simple solution here Arthur you have a guy on another post that is going to looking for a engine for a 4108 sell him the engine make cans out of the rest everyone wins,  sorry to hear about your eye problem
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline pabusnut

• P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 09:22:57 AM »
Aurthur,

I understand your situation, but if you are resigned to not finishing/using it, I would vote for selling----NOT SCRAPPING.

Sell it for what the scrap price would be, and be satisified.  There are probably enough folks around who would buy a running coach(when it gets batteries).  It would be a shame to lose the history, and or all the parts that could be harvested.

Steve Toomey
Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »
Steve, I absolutely agree -- scrapping is the last resort to cut my losses, I'd prefer to sell.  However, in this market, there are a lot of functional coaches at reasonable prices -- while the 4107 is still in mid-renovation.  While buying it in the first place was a good idea at the time, life has changed -- and what we want to do in our spare (yeah, right) time has changed too. 

I understand Tom's remarks about seeing this country first.  I agree.  However, over several decades in the transit business, I've been most places -- visiting/working in almost every state on the continent.  My wife has also done a fair amount of travelling.  From where we are in Texas, we would start with a 1-2 day drive, just to get to the start of someplace we'd like to go.  Then, another day or 2 on the return trip -- and pretty soon going to the airport for another colonoscopy looks more reasonable.

Russ, the eye surgery has cut down on my travel -- but fortunately I was able to see the computer screen within a couple of days of the surgery -- thus went back to work.  As long as I can work on the computer, I can get my cost projections and runcuts done.  It did cut into my business travel, because I don't want to drive at night -- particularly in unfamiliar cities.  Fortunately my clients were aware of that -- and since I deal almost exclusively with bus people -- by definition, old friends -- it only slowed me down, not stopped me.

JLV did call me this morning with a couple of ideas.  More interesting, I got a call from someone in a nearby city, who saw the coach while it was in the shop -- but had lost my phone number.  That wasn't the reason I posted the question -- but something could work out.  Could be the best possible outcome to pass the coach on to someone who wants it.  He told me he once owned a 3751, so he'd know what he was getting into. 

Clifford, that post was probably what cause me to make the original post -- I had the same thought.  If he was geographically close, I think that would be a great option.  Mechanically, the coach is sound -- or at least as sound as a 45 year old vehicle can be.

I believe we all have a right, and even a duty to ourselves to do what we think is right for us and our families.  We also each decide how to spend our own money.  If someone is that upset over the thought of scrapping a bus -- which probably won't be here anyway in 100 years --- perhaps they do need a 4107?  I'd even pick them up at the airport, DFW or Dallas Love Field are the closest.  Bring cash.

And, thanks everyone for the good wishes about my eyes.  Despite the problems, I'm amazed at what Doctors can do today.  After the first 2 1/2 hour surgery, I did stop using the phrase "It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick."  Thank God for anesthesia. 

Arthur     
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
Art,

Sorry to hear of your eye problems, and having to get rid of your bus. Sometimes a guy has to do what he has to do and make the best choices he can.

Do what you feel is best and go to Europe and see the sights. Have you been to Prague? A gorgeous city with lots of history.

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 08:17:34 AM »
  Art,  Sorry to hear of your eye problems, ...

Yes, Arthur, add me to the people who have great sympathy for such a debilitating medical problem.  What you do with your bus in very insignificant (in my opinion) compared to my best wishes that the docs will be able to find a way to make your vision better so that you can enjoy life to the fullest. 

BH   NC   USA
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline Singing Land Cruiser

• Michael & Christi Hargis
  • Found another Bus= '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71
    • michaelhargis.com
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 03:50:32 PM »
It was great to talk with you over the weekend Arthur. Christi and I hope to hear from you soon.

FYI; Arthur is doing everything in his power to keep his 4107 out of the scrap yard, I tip my hat to you sir! BUS.
M&C
Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
RV Park MGRS/ Sans End RV Park
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
'77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal