Author Topic: Looking for Trailways sign or decal for pd-4106  (Read 5134 times)

Offline hatchhome

• Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks your NUTS!
  • My wife is looking for the bus nut cure.
Looking for Trailways sign or decal for pd-4106
« on: February 16, 2014, 05:25:09 PM »
After much research I have found out my pd-4106 is a retired Trailways bus. Although I don't want to make it an outright Trailways looking bus, I do want to add a little Trailways flare. Does anyone know where I might get a decal or sign made up for the side. Also looking for a reproduction sign for the inside door. My bus in transformation is included also. Thanks everyone
Cameron Hatch
New Orleans, LA
504-250-4838

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
Re: Looking for Trailways sign or decal for pd-4106
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 05:53:41 PM »
You have the option of getting a regular sign maker to do a version in cut-vinyl, or getting a printer to do a proper printed-vinyl reproduction (albeit digitally printed, not silk-screened as the original would have been). Sign-makers with vinyl cutters are ten-a-penny but printers who deal with vinyl aren't nearly as common - but there are lots of online sticker printers / banner printers who will do it without problem (I've had stickers printed and delivered by post, and been very happy with the product and price).

Either way the original artwork will need to be scanned and then converted into a .EPS (vector) file suitable for driving the cutter or printer. There's free software you can download to do this in conjunction will Adobe Illustrator, but you'll probably find the printer or sign maker will do it for you for an extra charge

If it helps, there's a couple of free-to-download Trailways EPS files available here:

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/logo/trailways-0
http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/logo/trailways

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline hatchhome

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »
Thanks Jeremy, So the original outside would have been silkscreened? Heres a ad with a pd-4104 I want the national Trailways sign thats on the side.
Cameron Hatch
New Orleans, LA
504-250-4838

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »
It's possible that the originals were sign-painted actually. When are we talking - 1950s? I'm not sure vinyl stickers were even around then, but if they were they would have been silk-screened - and silk-screening is still in widespread use now where many copies of the same item are being produced. But if it is a sticker / decal (rather than paint) that you need, and only one or two are required, digital printing is definitely the way to go. The end result is identical regardless of whether digital printing or silk-screening is used - they're just different techniques for getting the ink onto the vinyl.

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 07:05:48 AM »
A thought.  Last year, one of my friends/clients bought a bus company that was a Trailways member.  I believe the company he already owned is/was also a Trailways member, which prompted a bit of conversation.

So, with Trailways still around, I wonder if any of their members, especially the older companies, may have the appropriate graphics somewhere in storage.  They'd also be able to give you the paint numbers for the right color match. 

I'd also suggest making sure you have some kind of permission, so there's no trademark issue.   I believe Tom McNally's Scenicruiser is in Greyhound paint, Greyhound graphics, so he may have input on whether there could be a trademark problem.

Arthur 
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline Boomer

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 08:09:04 AM »
Try the Trailways Yahoo group, there are many Trailways old timers on there that can help you, especially Charles Wotring who has a vast memorabilia collection that he is selling off.  His company is Royal Coach.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438, NO MORE
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
'48 Kenworth W-1 highway coach, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

Offline goutoe

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 09:34:56 AM »
There are a few Trailways items listed on Ebay. I picked up a couple of bus stop signs for my bus barn there.>>>> John
John & Linda 1977 AM General 6V92 turbo Detroit 3 Speed allison, 40 ft.

Offline hatchhome

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »
Try the Trailways Yahoo group, there are many Trailways old timers on there that can help you, especially Charles Wotring who has a vast memorabilia collection that he is selling off.  His company is Royal Coach.

Thanks Boomer, I sent a request to join a few days ago and no response yet. I'm definitely scouring eBay.  I'm not needing it to be old, more concerned with condition.
Cameron Hatch
New Orleans, LA
504-250-4838

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 10:35:30 AM »
Jeremy -

FYI, those two links you shared for the Trailways logos are their current style.  Cameron is looking for the mid-'60s designs.  But a good source, none the less.

Cameron -

The middle picture you shared with the initial post in this thread is the same logo that's on the side of the 4104 Trailways pic you posted a little later.  That could be used as an original for a sign shop to make duplicates.

The company that originally purchased your coach is still in business.  You might give them a call and see if they have any fleet pictures in their historical files from the '60s that they could scan for you.  What the hey, go right to the top, since the company has been in the family for several generations!  The CEO, altho busy, might just enjoy talking to a busnut about the history of the company and the fact you're "restoring" one of their old fleet.  Here's a link:

http://www.trailwaysny.com/html/english/about_ch.asp

Have you tried a Google Images search for Pine Hill's fleet?  Something might show up there which could be helpful.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline hatchhome

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 11:02:42 AM »
I like the way you think RJ. I did contact pine hill trailways through email and asked if there was any information or pictures from my coach.  (that was before I realized it was a trailways company.) will hit that route again and you were spot on with what I'm looking for. Will try to bring the picture 2 sign shop.  Forgive my ignorance but I really never knew Trailways as a company before all this.  At first I was disappointed that my bus wasn't a greyhound but now find it kinda neat that it was the competition =) cheers
Cameron Hatch
New Orleans, LA
504-250-4838

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 11:12:46 AM »
Since the coach is from the east coast, the Motor Bus Society may have information/photos.  While MBS members are all over the US, there's a heavy east coast presence in the membership.

http://www.motorbussociety.org/

Arthur
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline gus

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 02:42:09 PM »
Some were bolted on, some were decals. I don't think any were ever painted.

You can find plenty of stuff on the net but bolt on sign prices are outrageous.

I spent hours searching when I first got my 4104 but haven't looked for years.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal