Author Topic: What's the most important tools and parts to take with you.  (Read 11362 times)

Offline gus

Re: What's the most important tools and parts to take with you.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 04:26:31 PM »
I take everything I can pick up including spare parts which I keep in the bus all the time anyway.

There is absolutely no way you can second guess what you might need, I've had so many mechanical problems I could never guess what is next!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: Re: What's the most important tools and parts to take with you.
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 06:45:27 PM »
Can anyone answer my question about the need for an extra compressor or will the bus be able to support something like taking off the tire?

My understanding (from researching previous posts) is that you won't get enough air pressure from the bus to get your air tool to pull tires.  2nd - you don't really want your bus running while your pulling tires :)
3rd - a lot of guys plumb a 2nd compressor to air up the bus without having to run it for 5-10 minutes at 6am in an RV park.  It also helps when you have air issues and need to troubleshoot.  You should under no circumstances run your bus air system off the auxiliary air system but ir works to get your bus out of the middle of the hwy if you have air issues.   The best plan is probably to have an auxiliary air compressor for those reasons. 

-Sean

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline hatchhome

• Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks your NUTS!
  • My wife is looking for the bus nut cure.
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 06:54:19 PM »
Thanks Sean, Thats what I needed to know. I will look into that type of setup as i also don't like the idea of waking the whole rv park by starting her up. I will look for a spare starter. I still have 2 boxes that came with my bus with seals and parts. Might get them out tomorrow and see what I got. Cheers
Cameron Hatch
New Orleans, LA
504-250-4838

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 07:19:56 PM »
Cameron -

Auxiliary air compressor:

I know a 4106 owner that has a small air compressor mounted in the LF baggage bin directly behind the LF wheel.  It is plumbed into the accessory tank, which is located in the compartment underneath the driver.

Spare Starter:

Make sure you find a LEFT HAND unit, your 8V spins backwards to a truck or T-drive bus engine.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »
Regarding tires.  I have been of the belief that you could proceed with caution on one dually, thereby removing the flat one or using one for a front spare.  Is that reasonable?  We use 11rx22.5 tires and have thought they would be easy to find.  Maybe I am being too optimistic.  I once had some new tires mounted on the rims by Coach-net, so have thought of carrying an unmounted tire though.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 11:50:11 PM »
Tires,  my thoughts on tires, have popular size as 11R22.5, not 12R22.5 and keep good tires, not OLD nor patched many times, keep eye on air pressure.  Tires have never been an issue for me. On the MC7, it came with the 12R22.5, being cheap, I went to the 11R22.5, no like that due to small diameter, so switched to all new steel 24.5 rims with new 11R tires, made the mistake of running a standard truck drive tire on drive axle, with the larger engines, it wore the treat to a saw tooth looking pattern, switched to a steer tread, no more goofy wear pattern, yes I  put many miles on it over 20+ years and never an issue on the road.
If you keep your head clear, take care of the Kill items you should have a fun trip not waiting for road service that might put a big dent in your credit card, removing all fun for the trip/vacation. THINK.
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »
Here we go keep good and the right amount of batteries with the right amps with the right voltage and the old 42MT Delco starter will last for 20 years easy on a old 71 engine  ;D
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline belfert

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 05:07:24 AM »
I have my bus maintained by a well known bus garage since I got the bus.  I've never hesitated to have them fix any problems they have found over the years.  I've probably spent around $15,000 there.  (Bus needed almost $10,000 in work when I got it.)  I have also done a ton of work to fix and maintain things myself.

My point is even if you do lots of preventative stuff at home you can still have problems out on the road.  I've had brake issues three times on the road and a wheel bearing failure on the road too.  I have the brakes inspected yearly plus nearly every part at the wheel ends has been replaced.  The wheel bearings were all replaced when I got the bus yet I had a bearing failure 30,000 miles later.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 06:15:07 AM »
Most of the break downs on old buses are major like Gordie no way can one carry enough tools and parts to prevent it JMO it doesn't take much but carrying a 1in impact to change a tire buy CoachNet or other road side programs
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal