Author Topic: Suggestions for driving through AZ  (Read 11755 times)

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Suggestions for driving through AZ
« on: February 19, 2014, 03:37:07 PM »
We are moving on through the rest of Texas next week.  San Antonio will be missed for sure.  We are off to Big Bend and then Demming NM to visit some friends.  We are looking for suggestions and places to visit and stay as we drive up through AZ on our way to Las Vegas to visit Van and the crew out there.

So any suggestions on scenic routes and must visit places on the way through AZ?

Thanks all!

-Sean

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
Re: Suggestions for driving through AZ
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:33:36 PM »
Hi Sean, if you take I40 or I10, Needles to Bull Head City, say hi to Clifford and Sonja, are you working in LV? Another prevost at B&B must be 7 or 8 buses there. Lvmci...p.s. please bring my cigar box from Cliffords if you see him!
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 04:41:20 PM »
A little out of the way,  but ZION.  We really enjoyed the place.

Don and Cary
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline dukegrad98

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 04:43:01 PM »
Avoid as much reservation road as possible, and where it cannot be avoided, watch your speed limit like a hawk.  Logic, rationale, U.S. law and due process, and good pavement are not often found on the reservations.

Cheers, John

Offline FolkBus

• It's a family thing
  • 1967 MC-5A - 1949 Crown Supercoach
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 05:27:04 PM »
I disagree with John...take as many reservation roads as is possible.  Use common sense while driving them as you do with all roads.  The scenery is spectacular and being off of the beatin' path is always very refreshing.

--Mike
Mike and Debbie McNeil  Ridgway - Montrose, CO
1949 Crown SuperCoach (Amazing Grace) Conversion 1972  Pancake 220 Cummins  Fuller 5 Speed

1967 MC-5A  (Serenity)  Conversion 1986  8v-71N   Allison MT-644

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »
If you take I 10 I like Texas Canyon --- there is a rest area there to park in and look about.

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 05:36:10 PM »
Before you get to Big Bend just a bit before the entrance, maybe a few miles....there is a very good old family ranch/RV Park called Stillwell Ranch....very kid friendly and bluegrass/country western flavor and historical to boot. Try it for a few days, you may find that commuting in and out o the park is worth it....we did.  ;D Study Butte is worth the ride thru the park to stock up on lettuce and fresh veggies if you don't before you get there...or stay long enough to run out...
IRRC....Van Horn is your last chance. Marathon is kind of $ gougey $...
http://sweetheartsofthewest.blogspot.com/2013/02/hallie-crawford-stillwell-grande-dame.html

http://stillwellstore.com/

if you are thinking of Chisos Basin CG.....scout it out first....especially pulling the toad....I don't think it is doable...

we loved it there. stayed about a month.

The saddle shop in Alpine ( going west on 90 when u leaveis nicer than US 10) the kids and adults might like...near a DQ.

Wear seat belts and drive the speed limit or less near Fort Hancock, TX.... >:(
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline hatchhome

• Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks your NUTS!
  • My wife is looking for the bus nut cure.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 05:39:31 PM »
I have never traveled this in a Bus but take 70 from lordsburg and go up through safford and globe (I don't care for Globe, no one does) :-) then on 188 to Payson (where I grew up). Then over the mogollon rim. From there you can goto Jerome or Sedona. Then onto Flagstaff and I agree take some backroads by the grand canyon and on into Vegas. Thats the way I would go :)
Cameron Hatch
New Orleans, LA
504-250-4838

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 08:59:10 PM »
Sean, the fwy to Sedona is good, stay in Sedona at Oak Creek rv park, right on the river, dont take the bus to Jerome or up the oak canyon to Flagstaff if you want to go that way, far to severe climbs, past flagstaff is williams, az. Best pie shop on rt66, near entrance to Grand Canyon, the Pine Country Restaurant,  also steam and diesel train to thhe Canyon, KOA park along with a couple others, nice trip, lvmci...

Offline TomC

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 07:24:34 AM »
About 40 miles east of Tucson is Kartchner Caverns just south off I-10. Worth seeing because it is a "live" cave-still humid and dripping. They've taken great pains to keep the humidity in by going through a series of doors to get in. There is also an attached RV park that is quite nice.
Also just south of Tucson off I-19 is the Titan museum-very interesting. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 09:19:02 AM »
We just drove I 10 from Quartzsite Az to exit 810 in Anahauc  Tex that is one long @$# drive plenty of ways to go to AZ without 10 and 40 but more to on I 40 than I 10 plenty of state and federal parks along the way and Albuquerque is a neat city with some great Eagle owners there 

If you drive the speed limit on I 10 west at 80 mph not much to see lol we will be going back to AZ on old US 90 I had enough of I 10 for awhile
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline edvanland

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 10:39:32 AM »
Sean
If you come up I17 to hwy 260 and are going to sedona let me know, I know of a great place to park for a few days, has electric, & water. It is half way between Sedona & Cottonwood; Send me a E mail at edvan@q.com, o yes by the way we live here so rent will be a cold adult beverage.
ED & Janet
MCI 7
Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 03:30:49 PM »
Dont forget Tombstone on the south eastern edge of AZ, the kids will love it, lvmci...

Offline georgemci102a2

• 1988 MCI
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »
Sean, If your taking I-10 west after leaving deming ya might want to check out the tripple t truck stop at mile marker 268 just before tucson,lots of parking and tire shop etc.also free dump station. :D...ps tombstone would be cool place to check out like lvmci said.ya could be an extra in a western movie if there filming one ;D...George
1988 mci 102a2/6v92ta/Grovetown,Ga.

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: Suggestions for driving through AZ
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 04:22:11 PM »
Gosh Darn it....y'all are making me have to bust out the map now.

LV Tom - Ill definitely grab that Cigar box if Clifford is home and will have us!  I hope we get to hang out with you a bit in LV.  No work in Vegas but close by.

Don & Cary - Zion is on our list of must visit places but we are waiting on warmer weather for that trip.  I  cannot wait to see Zion.

Ed - I think I could definitely swing an adult beverage or two. 

Thanks all.  This board is awesome.

-Sean

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal