Author Topic: Suggestions for driving through AZ  (Read 11698 times)

Offline LowTide

Re: Suggestions for driving through AZ
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 03:26:51 PM »
Looks like most have mentioned the good spots as you come in from Tucson. I you don't mind going a little out of the way once you hit Phoenix, try the Sedona area, Montezuma well and Montezuma Castle.

Here is a link to the Castle; http://www.nps.gov/moca/index.htm
Link to the well: http://www.nps.gov/moca/planyourvisit/exploring-montezuma-well.htm
NOTE: the Castle and well are not suited for big rigs, you may want to drive your toad in...parking for smaller vehicles.

Here are a couple Sedona RV park links....there are more out there.
http://ranchosedona.com/
http://www.rioverdervpark.com/
If you want to go further, then you may want to try the Grand Canyon.

Be sure to check the weather for those areas.....they may have snow.

Once you get up to where Van is, be sure to go visit the valley of fire.....absolutely awesome!
http://www.valley-of-fire.com/

Good luck and have a fantastic trip!

Mike
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"
"Just Misbehavein' "

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"

Offline wagwar

• Mighty Bus Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 03:33:51 PM »
One of the most scenic and spectacular drives I have ever taken is the state road west out of Big Bend Nat. Park to Presidio, TX. Take your time and enjoy the vistas.

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: Re: Suggestions for driving through AZ
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 09:14:36 AM »
One of the most scenic and spectacular drives I have ever taken is the state road west out of Big Bend Nat. Park to Presidio, TX. Take your time and enjoy the vistas.

Jim - We left Big Bend yesterday and followed 170 out to Presidio.  What an amazing drive that was!

Absolutely breathtaking and you gotta have your A game on driving it.  That 15% grade going through the canyon slowed us down to 8mph while towing the 4 ton van.  Had me worried for a minute that we would slow to a halt :)

-Sean

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »
Van Horn, Tx, seems everyone that has stoped there got a parking ticket, even if your in the truck stop in a RV looking vehicle, expect a ticket or got the to RV park, they seem to have bought the police dept. Other forums all have lots of negative info about Van Horn Tx, bypass it if you can.
I have never been there, but know some that have and got tickets for eating lunch in their RV.
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 11:43:12 AM »
Never heard that before Dave we go thru Van Horn 3 times a year we spend the night at a grocery on the west end of town beside a Motel 6 then across the street is a city park where you can sleep for the night,plus Pilot and Loves 

They did get upset a few years back when the people would park in the wide marked area on the main street with the slides out into the traffic The big RV park has closed there is only a couple of small ones open in that town there is no WalMart the last would be the new one Ft Stockton till you reach El Paso fwiw   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline dukegrad98

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 11:48:09 AM »
... Ft Stockton till you reach El Paso fwiw   

Whew...I stopped at a La Quinta motel in Ft. Stockton a few years ago on a Phoenix-to-Houston run in a car.  That was the filthiest place I have ever been -- actually slept on top of the bed with my clothes on.  Not a problem if you're traveling by coach, but I wouldn't so much as tap the brakes going past that town again.

Now cruising I-10 at a steady 80-90mph...that some good pavement and an enjoyable drive.

Cheers, John

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 12:26:29 PM »
I like the Texas Autobahn myself a Texas Trooper told me he writes more tickets now than he ever did before mostly for over 95 mph

Offline Bill B /bus

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 04:13:25 PM »
Tombstone Territories RV Park, a Passport America park, convenient to Tombstone, Ft Huachua (sp?),Bisbee. We prefer Bisbee over Tombstone as Tombstone always has their hand out for money.

Oatman has the best ever "shootout". Do not try to take the bus there.

Zion is fun as you're seeing the canyon from the bottom.

Just some thoughts.

Bill
Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT740

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 04:44:22 PM »
Never heard that before Dave we go thru Van Horn 3 times a year we spend the night at a grocery on the west end of town beside a Motel 6 then across the street is a city park where you can sleep for the night,plus Pilot and Loves

** Copied from a forum**
RV'ers traveling east and west on I-10 in west Texas may find themselves with a ticket if they stop in Van Horn, Texas, when not staying in a campground.
The ordinance wording allows Law Enforcement to assume all stops, any time of day or night are for sleeping, allowing an $85 ticket to be issued.
Stays over 4 hours is mentioned, but is much easier to avoid RV Unfriendly towns than to argue over a sheriff’s stopwatch accuracy.
We understand that there are no signs on the recent ordinance that target RVers and not trucks.

An RVer stated they pulled into the truck stop parking area, where they have stayed many times before, right behind McDonalds for a nap and breakfast.
When they awoke several hours later, there was a ticket taped to the windshield.
“Violation of City of Van Horn ordinance 12/2010. Fine of $85 payable by money order only."
Here is a link to the Anti-RV Ordinance:  Title 12 - STREETS, SIDEWALKS AND PUBLIC PLACES.

The City Manager has said she was pressured by the RV Parks in her City to enforce the Ordinance.

No Idea, just alot of yakking about how bad the Van Horn town was, Hope it has mproved as the FMCA and other RV types have been trying to get the law changed.  As Mentioned, I never been there, but the name Van Horn perks up the ears.
Good luck to one and all.
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »
We recently moved to AZ and love it!   

If you can make it further north as Mike said - The Williamson train to the Grand Canyon is an absolute blast.  And you can make a 1 - 2 day trip of it if you'd like.  Entertainment on the train, wonderful sites, and of course, the Canyon. 
The train :  http://www.thetrain.com/?gclid=CPqQ7c7B-rwCFcURMwodTnQAtg

Sedona is fun.  Prescott used to be the capital of AZ and is worth a visit as well.  We've got a few other ideas as well for up north.  Also, if you need a place up here to stay for a couple of days, we have 50 AM hookups, water & sewer at our bus-friendly property in Prescott Valley.  IM me if we can be of assistance or you'd like to set a spell up here.  No charge of course for a certified bus enthusiast.   ;D

Kind Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline LowTide

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 02:11:27 AM »
Stay away from Flagstaff, they are an unfriendy RV town.....not worth the visit or to spend any of your money with....2 cents.

Link to Article:
http://gypsyjournal.net/Unfriendly.html
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"
"Just Misbehavein' "

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"

Offline scanzel

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 05:44:49 AM »
I looked at the no RV's in the Gypsy Journal and don't like it either but then again you cannot blame some of the towns. Some rv users have ruined it for others and leave the towns/cities no choice but to ban. Also if everyone parks for free anywhere some rv parks will just go out of business, especially in the more remote areas. A friend of ours lives in Arizona and some Home Depot parking lots were becoming camp ground with trailers, rv's etc just setting up camp for days. No wonder they put bans on especially when they leave trash behind.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 06:34:49 AM »
I just know Van Horn has never been a problem for us hell they don't have any RV parks left 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal