Author Topic: Arcadia, the GenSet and the Polebarn.  (Read 9745 times)

JerryH

Re: Polebarn, the GenSet and Arcadia.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 02:27:55 PM »
Thanks for the info Ed .. I did phone them.  They were out of stock, but I am also checking locally.

I've also attached a couple of photos of the beast out of the cave.  Another one of my "BusNut" lounge in the polebarn.  The refrigerator in the background stocked with domestic and imported beer (guess which country!).

Jerry H.

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 02:41:40 PM »
Jerry,
"Its not just you"
Getting dark so early in the winter seems to snatch the motivation!
Cliff

Yeah.  Dark and cold.  Really saps ones motivation after working all day....It ain't just you.  I still go like H on the weekends, but weekdays...little slow. 
Back to work!  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 06:05:42 AM »
I've also attached a couple of photos of the beast out of the cave.  Another one of my "BusNut" lounge in the polebarn.  The refrigerator in the background stocked with domestic and imported beer (guess which country!).

Nice lounge! 

Got any Black Bear Beer in that fridge?
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

JerryH

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 10:23:31 AM »
Craig:

No, No dark beer - sorry.

BTW ... just got the phone call from Brian at Westend Radiator.  Said that the original Custom Coach rad was a not-so-well made 'custom unit' which had been repaired several times -- so-so at that.  Although my first thought was to do re-core, Brian and I discussed repair (before he saw it).  But after seeing it in-person, the re-core was really the best way to go.  Don't want to be pulling the GenSet again for the same or similar thing.  It'll be back here on Tues. and hopefully that'll be it.

Jerry

JerryH

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 07:39:41 PM »
Rad's back in -- while readying the flex exhaust for the heat wrap fix, I noticed a kink in the pipe under the wrap.  The flex pipe is shot and I removed it.  Now I need a replacement and fast.  I've got Thurs. and Fri. to find it.  I hope that between here and Philly I can find something.  Suggestions welcomed. 

Thanks,
Jerry H.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 04:43:30 AM »
Check NAPA. They can get it. Might be a store in your area that has some. No idea on cost, but the stainless stuff is not cheap.
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

JerryH

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 02:06:28 PM »
Ahh, problem solved I think. :D

Found a kink in the stainless flex-exhaust pipe.  Wasn't confident I could find a replacement quickly -- nor did I want to spend the $$$ replacing it.  I can only imagine the cost.

Call the friend with a shop that does stainless.  He cut out the kink with a really nifty and clean machine and welded the two halves together.  Looks good and should function fine.

I pulled the tubing insulation wrap up and secured it with mechanics wire.  I bought heat wrap tape from a speed shop to address the missing section.

Ran the unit out of the baggage bay today to check for leaks and operation -- used a 1200 cfm fan I had, blowing over the rad to cool it.

I found some other funky things I think Custom Coach did.  Overall, I don't like the genset install -- but it is some years old.

Do newer PowerTech and other brands have an integral cooling (belt driven) fan.  Or are they electric?

Jerry H.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 06:32:35 PM »
Jerry,
    All the gensets I have seen that have the radiator attached to the genset use a belt driven fan. The only gensets I have seen with electric fans had remote radiators.  Jack

PS: I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night and I have not seen all the gensets
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

JerryH

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 06:50:18 PM »
Jack:

Yeah, this is an older Custom Coach unit.  They installed a squirrel cage (which engages once the AC is produced with the genset) and direct the air over the rad.  Not a big 'fan' of this configuration (no pun intended).

BTW:  Are there batteries w/ higher than 1000 cranking amps @ 32-deg???  Anyone know of a link?

Jerry H.

Offline Homegrowndiesel

• Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel
  • 73-05 Eagle
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2006, 07:29:10 PM »
Glad to see you have it back together.  ;D

Squirrel cage is much quieter and moves more air than propeller style fan. The electric version Uses more energy and complexity than direct drive style. Could have the best of both worlds. Belt drive Squirrel cage. Ok I guess I have to try that one. ::)

What are you going to use the batteries for.  "BTW:  Are there batteries w/ higher than 1000 cranking amps @ 32-deg???  Anyone know of a link?"?

Lots of options depending on use.

Bill

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3, 102d3 and NABI series 50 transit. Busnut x4

JerryH

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 05:16:16 AM »
Glad to see you have it back together.  ;D

Squirrel cage is much quieter and moves more air than propeller style fan. The electric version Uses more energy and complexity than direct drive style. Could have the best of both worlds. Belt drive Squirrel cage. Ok I guess I have to try that one. ::)

What are you going to use the batteries for.  "BTW:  Are there batteries w/ higher than 1000 cranking amps @ 32-deg???  Anyone know of a link?"?

Lots of options depending on use.

Bill

Hey Bill:

In a pinch I bought (2) Marine batteries at Wal-Mart (each cranking 875 @ 32-deg.), wired them in parrallel.  I know it's (likely) not the most ideal way to go.
When Custom Coach wired this conversion, they have all the 12-volt house lighting on the 12v Genset starter batteries.  I don't love it.
The coach actually has 12v,  24v,  120v  lighting circuits.  I wouldn't intentionally recreate certain electrical things here.

Jerry H.

.  Using them

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 05:40:15 AM »
Just a note about WalMart batteries.  I had to replace my 2 bus start batteries last fall in NC. I purchased 2 batteries at WalMart. 2 weeks later, in South Georgia, one of the new batteries failed (This was confirmed with a load tester when bus would not start). I took the bad battery back to the local WalMart. They replaced it with no problem, HOWEVER, it was not the same battery. The sales lady explained that each model battery has a "north" version and a "South" version. My particular battery was a 65-N and replaced with a 65-S. About 75 less CCA @ 32 degrees. Of course, they charge the same price for both.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2006, 05:48:16 AM »
Just a thought on remote radiators and squirrel cage blowers:  I would install a sail switch at the blower and wire it in to the shut down circuit or even just an alarm of some kind.  This would warn you of a blower failure before you get into an overtemp situation.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

JerryH

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2006, 07:38:20 PM »
Well not having a day like Craig (and his travels).
But working on "wrapping up" the genset repairs and ...

So the plywood floor in the battery section was completely trashed (rotted).  The blower upon closer examination was actually just sitting there, unsecured, since the rotted floor didn't hold screws too well.  Removed the blower assembly, replaced the plywood floor, fixed some issues with the blower and reinstalled.  Also addressed the 12v alt cable through it's own dedicated and grometed hole.  Found another wire (broken) running from a wiring block (at battery/genset area) to the front of the coach. 

Well the short of it is it's finally back in the cave, with new oil and filter, cooling fluid, rad, batteries, etc., etc., etc.

Wash the bus tomorrow, try to get a new radio installed, and load the bus.

Yea ... leave on Christmas Day (12 - 2pm).

See ya' all down there,
Jerry H.

ps:  No CB installed.

Offline Homegrowndiesel

• Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel
  • 73-05 Eagle
It is not to late.!!! Arcadia will be THE place to RING IN THE NEW YEAR.
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2006, 08:20:43 PM »
Genset back in place, Good Thing.

Man, you cleared a spot to get yours in. I baulked at pushing the 46 or 49 outside. Glad it has not been that cold out.

That was  the one thing ?????? well something I also did not get done (CB Radio On List) .....
Glad to see progress!!

We plan to leave same time. See family before meeting up for final trip in to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Jack & Paula's NEW YEARS PARTY!!!!! Busnut BASH.     

We will see you there.

Bill

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3, 102d3 and NABI series 50 transit. Busnut x4

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal