Author Topic: Arcadia, the GenSet and the Polebarn.  (Read 9746 times)

JerryH

Arcadia, the GenSet and the Polebarn.
« on: December 09, 2006, 03:04:15 PM »
So the plan is to bug outta here on 12/25 to head south to FL.  For the Delaware clan (or anyone else heading down from the Northeast) ... We'll be heading south via I-95 (Phila.) -- expect to hit I-95 by 3:00 PM.  First fuel in North East, MD (Flying J).  Subject to the powers that be ... our goal is to reach Latta, SC by midnight or shortly after.  Fuel, dump tanks and sleep will be the order of business.  IF YOU SEE OUR TAN AND BLACK STRIPED MCI, M-8 ... say Hi!  The next AM we plan to bug out and make our way to Lady Lake, FL, where we'll be there visiting family for a few days.  Head to Arcadia in the early AM of the 29th ... or PM of the 28th, hanging out at the Wal-Mart until the AM.  Bug out either Sat. PM or Sun AM to head back to Lady Lake to rejoin family.  It'll likely just be Jim (father-in-law) and myself, while the women and kids head to Orlando.

So finally got the bus into the polebarn after moving a bunch of stuff and throwing out other stuff.  I don't know about you guys, but I hold on to stuff because "I know I'll need it someday" ... but then after it hangs here too long, off into the dumpster.  I think I should put an expiration date on all the "stuff" I have ... if I don't utilize it by a certain date, off into the dumpster.  I have (3) kitchen and (1) large bath order here jamming up my space.  Not to mention all the other stuff.

Tomorrow plan on pulling the Kohler/Perkins GenSet.  A two person proceedure (safely).  Drain and pull the rad and see about replacing the insulated flex exhaust.  Figure I am just gonna recore the Rad.  I really don't feel like addressing one  or two leaks, putting all back together, simply to have it fail not too long down the road.  I'd rather bite the bullet once.  Nothing sucks more than doing it twice or having it fail when you really need it (ie: Arcadia).

See you in Arcadia,
Jerry H.

ps:  I will try and get a CB installed.  At the moment, I don't have one -- but do have the antenna. :)

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: Polebarn, the GenSet and Arcadia.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 03:10:15 PM »
Hi Jerry,

If you really get in a jam, call me! I'm sure I'd be able to get up to you if I had to...

I gotta pull mine also on Monday to replace the belt and high temp sensor. But I have a fork lift to help me...LOL

Good Luck
Nick-
609-827-7331 cell
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Hartley

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 04:30:13 PM »
Hi Jerry,

If you really get in a jam, call me! I'm sure I'd be able to get up to you if I had to...

I gotta pull mine also on Monday to replace the belt and high temp sensor. But I have a fork lift to help me...LOL

Good Luck
Nick-
609-827-7331 cell

Nick,

Belt? Again?

If that Onan is eating up belts that fast the pulleys must not be aligned or you may be getting the wrong belt.??
I think there is a kevlar wound belt available that may last longer, I know that I have seen them just don't
remember where....

I have been running the same belt on one of my kubota's for about 5 years and it's still in good shape.. wierd... ;D

Uh.. Maybe cutting an access opening in the generator box might be an idea so you can change belts
without having to remove the whole unit each time???

Never take a knife to a gunfight!

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 05:12:49 PM »
Hay Dr. Dave

Yes, And hopefully this is the last time because I finally found the factory [metric] belt.....

yes, Metric.. It cost me $50.00 and I baught a spare. HA! I'll teach that generator who's Boss....   [Or Not]

Also I'll be installing a high temp sensor, and tightening up al the wire connections.

Nick-
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.

JerryH

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 05:13:49 AM »
Hi Jerry,

Good Luck
Nick-
609-827-7331 cell

Niick,
Thanks for the offer.   Although no forklift ... with a floorjack, dolly, some  blocking ... and some elbow grease ... it'll move.
If I get stuck, I've got your cell #.
Thanks again.  Good luck with your belt swap.  Forklift huh?  You lucky bast%rd!  (Someday).
Jerry

Offline Homegrowndiesel

• Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel
  • 73-05 Eagle
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 10:26:06 AM »
Hey Jerry

Glad to hear you are making progress. I agree on the recore, always a pain to do twice.

Hope we all can catch up with you on the 28-29th for the Arcadia Arival. Some are meeting up localy and making the trip down together. We plan on meeting up with some of the crew in SC. on the 27th? as we will be leaving family in WV. and heading down 77. 

Catch you on the way down.

Bill Glenn
302-745-1192 cell
Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3, 102d3 and NABI series 50 transit. Busnut x4

Offline Lee Bradley

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 03:30:37 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I hold on to stuff because "I know I'll need it someday" ... but then after it hangs here too long, off into the dumpster.  I think I should put an expiration date on all the "stuff" I have ... if I don't utilize it by a certain date, off into the dumpster.  I have (3) kitchen and (1) large bath order here jamming up my space.  Not to mention all the other stuff.

Its a losing battle; you'll never need any of it until the day after you dump it or give it away.

JerryH

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 05:02:10 PM »
Its a losing battle; you'll never need any of it until the day after you dump it or give it away.

True Lee, but you have to bite the bullet eventually.  Otherwise, I'd need to keep adding on to the polebarn.

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 05:26:31 PM »
Jerry,

Did you get your radiator out?

I got my genset out, did the belt, hi temp sensor, and an oil change. then put it back in and so far it's working great.

Now for the fuel leak....

Nick-

JerryH

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 05:55:13 PM »
Jerry,

Did you get your radiator out?

I got my genset out, did the belt, hi temp sensor, and an oil change. then put it back in and so far it's working great.

Now for the fuel leak....

Nick-

I got the bus in -- got the genset out ... and then we had family plans.
I should have the rad out tomorrow. 
I guess your AC work is off this time of season?

Jerry H.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 06:15:33 PM »
... and then we had family plans.

then what are you doing on the web ??   ;D
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

JerryH

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »
... and then we had family plans.

then what are you doing on the web ??   ;D

Ok, so the Rad is off and away to get redone.  Should be back by Monday they said.  I'd like to replace the original heat wrap which covers the flex exhaust.  Any suggestions?

Been busy with work (the "paying" kind -- or at least supposed to be paying).  When the evening rolls around, mentally I am not so eager to head to the shop to work on the bus.  Starting to work on the bus at 7 or 8pm sucks.  Mind you, once I get going, I hate to leave.  Weekends are easy, but weekdays ... lately ... not so much.  Is it just ME?

Jerry H.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 10:37:47 AM »
Jerry,

"Its not just you"

Getting dark so early in the winter seems to snatch the motivation!

I have gotten back in the habit of plugging away at the "Project" during the week aqain too.

Good time to get at the little "pain in the a*#neck" projects that eat up a Saturday.

Well get there, someday. ;D

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline edvanland

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 10:44:00 AM »
http://www.engineheatprotection.com/products.html  I used the wet blanket on my gen muffer which is in the bay.  After two hours of it running with the door closed I could put my hand on the muffler and hold it there.  Works for me.
ED
MCI 7
Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 11:42:10 AM »
After much thought, I've decided the reason I hold onto so much crap is because I 'm too lazy to make a decision. If I have space, I can put off making the decision.  ;)

I'm also cheap & hate to buy today what I threw away last week.

But then again, that inventory doesn't do me any good if I have to buy new because I couldn't find it until AFTER I finished the project  :o
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal