Author Topic: Video Update - LED Lights and Curtains  (Read 8111 times)

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Video Update - LED Lights and Curtains
« on: March 07, 2014, 11:45:30 AM »
Here is a recent video showing updated LED lights and Curtains in the bunks-

Updated projects on our bus 2/27/14

More info on our website @ www.herdofturtles.org

-Sean
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline BRUISER

• iMPAKS
Re: Video Update - LED Lights and Curtains
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:41:57 PM »
Looks good
iMPAKS.com
Raleigh, NC
1983 MCI MC-9

Offline Van

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 02:39:32 PM »
Nice touch! Internet or local purchase? I love the color change  :)

V-man 8)
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Zeroclearance

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 03:48:42 PM »
Sean, it looks good..   

Are you on the power pole? 

With the family full timing, what is your amp hour demand?   A/C will impact that..

The LED lighting looks great!

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: Video Update - LED Lights and Curtains
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »
V-man (bwaaaaahaaaa...rofl) -
I bought the LED strips from hitlights on Amazon.  The white lights for the awning and the lights for the living room were the 600 LED strips (3528 led chips) and the strips for the bunks and bedroom were the 300 LED strips (5050 led chips).  They were about 28$ per 5m (16') strip.  Hitlights has good support for their products which is why I went with them.   Will be running past your place in about...eh...10 days or so.

Zero - we are mostly on the pole but can often go 4-5 days boondocking it.  We just stayed out at BigBend and had no hookups the week we were out there. We ran the generator sometimes in the morning for about an hour to cook/coffee/charge batts and more often once in the evening for 1.5-2hrs to cook/charge batts.  It was enough to keep the bank at 80-90%.  I am close to hooking up the inverter to two circuits in the bus and that will allow us to cook/coffee without the genny.
Currently I have (2) Costco 100ah marine batteries and (3) group 31 start batteries and if I tie them together we will use about 30%-40% in a 24hr period (we try not to let them get below 12v).  That's running a 12v fridge, all the LED lights, charging 2 phones/3 computers and running (2) fantastic fans and the occasional awning roll out/up.  Its hard to figure out exactly how many ah I am using.  I currently only have a volt meter and our use of the power can vary greatly from day to day.
 I'm hoping to put in (4) L16 batts this year to be able to go 48 -72 hours without the generator. We mostly boondock overnights between trips or when visiting someone.  We are starting to get bolder and do it more often though and we do enjoy it. Its nice being in the middle of nowhere (as opposed to a Walmart) without having to worry about resources.

-Sean

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org
'Cause you know we,

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 06:27:41 AM »
Hi Sean, great work, all of a sudden seems like a flood of different kind of led lights, this will lead to remarkable drop in power consumption and heat creation, not just for busnuts but all electric consumers. Your family seems to be enjoying seeing America, is it working like you thought it would, any surprises about fulltiming? Tom, lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
    • Herd of Turtles
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »
Tom -

Its absolutely amazing.  We were planning a year of fulltiming and now it looks like 2 possibly 3 years...maybe the rest of our lives.  I think the biggest suprise is how much we enjoy doing it.

We are headed towards Vegas next week.  Are you going to be around?  Got any gigs coming up?

-Sean

1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org
'Cause you know we,

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 07:12:28 PM »
Hi Sean, how wonderful to enjoy fulltiming, I think you have a great family there to enjoy the time with you. I'm doing the BMW show at Aria, just got back from red carpet in hollywood for abc, I've never seen it rain like that before there, I sure hope you so. cal. guys weathered the storm ok, doing a show at cosmo in the new chelsia theatre next week, incredible, they cut a five story hole in the end of the hi-rise, and made a traditional balcony theatre with no percenium stage! You've got to come and see it, looks real good on camera, where you staying? Stop by to see Van, Gary & Mike and all 8 busses, tom, lvmci...

Offline belfert

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 01:04:13 PM »
Hi Sean, great work, all of a sudden seems like a flood of different kind of led lights, this will lead to remarkable drop in power consumption and heat creation, not just for busnuts but all electric consumers.

I think LED has a ways to go for a standard house.  Everyone has certain expectations on what lighting should look like in a house.  A long strip of LEDs on the wall or on the ceiling of a house would seem strange in most houses while it would be just fine in a bus.  I have several rolls of LED strip lighting I plan to put in my bus next year.

The typical A19 light bulb shape is terrible for LEDs due to heat build up.  There are a few fixtures built specifically for LED that don't rely on the legacy A19 bulbs, but they aren't real cheap and they don't look like your typical home light fixture.  I hate light fixture manufacturers who say they have an LED light fixture when all they did was put an A19 style LED bulb in the box and charge a premium for it.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Emcemv

• 1973 MCI MC-7 Combo
    • Pictures
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »
sean, thanks for the video, love seeing the inside of other buses! LED`s are cool. 

bruce
Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
    • Herd of Turtles
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 06:02:14 PM »
Tom - I'd love to see that theater!  We will be at duck creek.  I've got a show from the 20th till the 29th but I can hang on the 19th, 30th, 31st, 1st or 2nd.  Definitely planning on seeing Van and the boys at the garage.

Brian - I couldn't agree more.  Its like when HDTV came out and all the manufacturers were playing 4:3 media on them for demos resellers had no clue what the product was or what it could do.  Big manufacturers are idiots when it come to technology.  One company will get it right and then everyone else will copy that product as in what's happening with the A19 except the A19 ain't right but its what they are all doing. 

Bruce - Thanks for the compliment!  I'm having a blast with the LEDs.  I've got a bunch left over and it is very addictive.

-Sean

1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org
'Cause you know we,

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 06:57:33 PM »
Beautiful Duck Creek, isnt it still cold, or snowed in?  Great resturant in Cedar City, from west to east, steep climb, easier from east to west,  Lvmci...

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: Re: Video Update - LED Lights and Curtains
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »
Beautiful Duck Creek, isnt it still cold, or snowed in?  Great resturant in Cedar City, from west to east, steep climb, easier from east to west,  Lvmci...

Tom - Duck Creek RV park over Sam Hurd Stadium ;)

1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org
'Cause you know we,

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 09:09:34 PM »
Ah! Duck Creek rv park, by sam boyd stadium, locals call it the Silver Bowl, I've got duck creek, utah on my mind, time for a vacation! Lvmci...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal