Author Topic: Fresh Water  (Read 12655 times)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
Fresh Water
« on: March 09, 2014, 06:39:50 AM »
I'm interested in how you handle fresh water.  Most of us have large fresh water tanks and that water is used for showers, washing, flushing, etc.  I use one of those whole house water filters between my fresh water tank and my faucets, but it only "filters" the water, it doesn't kill bad bacteria.

What about drinking water?  What about water for your coffee pot? 
Currently, we buy lots of bottled water for drinking, and we also have almost a dozen gallon size water bottles that we use for coffee or washing fruits and vegetables.  We fill the gallon jugs wherever we feel comfortable with the water supply.  But these are very inconvenient and take up valuable storage space.

I've seen some reverse osmosis systems that do a great job of purifying water, so much so that it doesn't even taste like water, all the good stuff is gone with the bad.  However you could almost pump water from a lake or river and drink it after using the reverse osmosis.  The down side is that these systems are VERY expensive. 

A Brita type water filter is nice, but can it be trusted to clean the bacteria from my fresh water tank?  My wife is very picky about water taste, so it's become a subject of concern for me.  I want a good, fresh, pure water supply that also tastes good.  In addition, I'm one of those people that think the day will come that water could become a very expensive resource.   I would like to maintain easy access to good water.

Ideas?
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline lostagain

Re: Fresh Water
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 06:56:56 AM »
Every 4 or 5 tank refills, I pour 1/2 cup of bleach into the tank first. I would think it kills whatever bad things might be in there.

For coffee and drinking, we fill gallon jugs of RO water from the house. Then buy drinking water while on the road, or refill the bottles at a convenient tap if it is good.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 07:13:45 AM »
The frenchy-bus came with 2 separate systems - 100 gallons of fresh water and a completely separate 20 gallon drinking water tank that is also pressurized but only available on a separate tap at the kitchen sink.  I thought it was a silly system when we bought the bus but I have come around to thinking it is a really good idea.  20 gallons used exclusively for drinking means we can go a long time between refills.  That allows us to pick and choose what we put in that tank which means we never have to worry about the quality of our drinking water.  When we travelled in Mexico we simply bought 5 gallon bottles of purified water and put them into the drinking tank. Anywhere else in North America we test the water on the house system and never put anything in the drinking tank that we are the least bit concerned about.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 07:43:16 AM »
A Brita type water filter is nice, but can it be trusted to clean the bacteria from my fresh water tank?  My wife is very picky about water taste, so it's become a subject of concern for me.  I want a good, fresh, pure water supply that also tastes good.  In addition, I'm one of those people that think the day will come that water could become a very expensive resource.   I would like to maintain easy access to good water.

Ideas?
Brita-type filters use activated carbon to remove bad tastes, but they won't remove bacteria to make your water safer.   Katadyn uses micro-porous ceramic filters that will remove almost all nasties from water  - I've used their Pocket Filter for many years when traveling in far-flung places where potable water is rare, and I've never yet come down with dysentery (or worse) from drinking local water that I've filtered with it.   Katadyn also makes a non-portable unit that could be used in a home or bus.   There are other companies making similar filters, including one that even removes viruses.   UV sterilization is another option.

I'm thinking about using several 2-1/2 gallon jugs of drinking water under the sink, with a simple Rocket-type hand pump to dispense it.   If drinking water isn't available I'll then filter my own from my two on-board tanks.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline Red Rider

• God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »
I do what "lost again" said. I added a single fixture 12V pump that I picked up at NAPA. I mounted it under the sink next to a 5 Gal. "sparklettes" bottle. That in conjunction with a high rise faucet on the counter, I enjoy good water, with a known source for drinking etc.
Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885

Offline TomC

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 09:07:27 AM »
Only fill the tank with chlorinated city water-never raw well water. My tank is 20 years old and don't have any growth inside. If I did have to use well water, I'd use some bleach in it. I also have a drinking water faucet with filter. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »
We recently installed a pump (made by flo-jet if I remember correctly) under the sink and it has a dispenser on the sink that uses a five gallon plastic jug. We keep a crate with four one gallons in the bay for back up and just refill the bottle as necessary.

It is a 110 electric pump so it runs off the same circuit as the refrigerator. You can get the five gallon jugs filled for about a buck or so a lots of gas stations or convenience stores. 

We went to this system because we ended up with some "funky" water that we drained and replaced and then added bleach to be sure it was going to clean the system up. So as previously mentioned by others we have separate drinking and washing water. Hard to tell what you are getting when you fill and if you let it stay and it is bad the bad seems to grow.

HTH

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline Jriddle

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 03:36:20 PM »
I installed a reverse osmosis system and it has been a royal “PITA”. It uses entirely too much water from the tank. I was going to install a line back to the tank to recover the wasted water. I have had to rebuild the valve system trying to cut this water usage issue and now plan to put a pump and five gallon jug under the sink as suggested here. Thank You for the simple solution LOL
John
John Riddle
Townsend MT
1984 MC9

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 03:56:50 PM »
I use city water mostly, but have put in well water. If you are generally using chlorinated city water, you won't have problems as long as you keep your tanks in the dark.
I use a 5 micron sediment filter on the shore line input that gets the big stuff before it get to my tanks. I use a 1 micron (can't find the .5 micron) charcoal filter on my
distribution side. We use the tank water for everything, including drinking right out of the tap. I've never added bleach or any other thing to my fresh water tank,
and have no intentions of doing so. No issues in 10 years, and don't expect to have any in the next 10 or more.
Bottled water is one of the biggest scams ever wrought on mankind. Generally, all it is is tap water, and often not even very good tap water!
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Harry6674

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 05:10:03 PM »
For drinking water Watts sells a pitcher through Amazon with Halo Pure cartridges. These kill over 99% of bacteria. I worked for Halosource Inc. that developed the Halo Pure technology. Google Halosource. I keep a couple of those pitchers full all the time.

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 05:28:15 PM »
Hi All, when cleaning/ purifying with bleach or the other version of bleach, most people just fill and drain at the same spot, if you drive a bit and run your faucets you have a better chance of sloshing away the same stuff that has grown up the interior walls of your tanks, lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline Jriddle

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »
Bottled water is one of the biggest scams ever wrought on mankind. Generally, all it is is tap water, and often not even very good tap water!
Craig
I agree with you on scam on bottled water for the US. Here in the Dominican however the use of bottled water is pretty much mandatory. I'm planning five gallon jug of water of my choice under the sink and I won’t be as picky of the water in the big tank. I like you drink now out of the big tank but would feel better with smaller source of drinking water.

John
John Riddle
Townsend MT
1984 MC9

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 06:04:29 PM »
We never buy bottled water north of the Rio Grande but I'd be pretty shy about drinking tap water south of the Rio Grande.  The big advantage of having two tanks in the US and Canada is that we can pick and choose which water we put where.  While I agree that bottled water is a huge scam, it is also true that some municipal water is crap.  I grew up in Regina in the days when you got out of the shower feeling dirtier than when you went in.  Some places have really good water - that's what we put in the drinking tank.  Its just nice to have the choice.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: Fresh Water
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Dave - we are using 2 house canisters for filtering all the water that comes into our bus.  All the tank water gets filtered twice (its how I set it up)  In addition we have a dual filter system specifically for drinking water with its own tap right at the sink.  I plan on putting a ceramic filter there at some point.  We are 8 months in now and we are doing pretty good on water.  We usually taste/smell the water at the campground before putting any in the tanks. We have never had any bad tasting water while in the bus.  Its usually tastes pretty good. 

Check out ceramic filters.  They are pretty darn amazing for drinking water.  Google the Berkey water system. (It uses ceramic filters)

-Sean

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline Boomer

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 08:45:39 PM »
We never drink water out of our holding tank, even though we add bleach about every third tank fill.  We winter in the desert and the water is usually really bad (by our NW standards). Plus I don't trust RV park water. Instead I installed a Flo-Jet bottled water dispensing system utilizing 5 gallon Primo brand (others available also) purified water bottles.  We carry two 5's so we never run out.  The Primo brand is picked up at all Lowes stores and some Walmarts, which you can usually get a bus into pretty easy.  Drop an empty one and pick up a full one for 6.99 equals piece of mind.  3 gallon bottles also available. On the Eagle the pump puts it right to the fridge; on the Silverside I have a dispensing fixture next to the galley fawcet.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438, NO MORE
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
'48 Kenworth W-1 highway coach, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 12:31:35 PM »
We carry 2 5 gallon blue bottles and fill them at health food stores filtering machines. we keep 1 in the bottom of the big pantry I built in the bus. We found a battery operated pump that just fits on top. You push the button and wa la you have clean water.
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline belfert

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 05:21:33 PM »
We always drink bottled water when using the bus.  The reason why is because lots of arsenic contaminated water has been put through the entire water system.  One place we go every year specifically tells people not to drink the water because of arsenic.  We can't realistically haul enough clean water from another source to avoid filling up with arsenic laced water.

Years ago we bought gallon jugs of drinking water, but we found that we weren't drinking enough water because it wasn't as convenient so we started just buying bottled water in the individual bottles.  Wasteful, yes, but better than heat related illness.  I never buy bottled water for home use.  I drink tap water at home.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 06:15:01 AM »
I'm thinking I might purchase a second tank, maybe 20 gallons or so.  Put a basic filter system on the inlet to the tank, maybe the same filter system I use now.  Then, a charcoal filter system before the water enters the tank.  Then, I'll run a line to a separate tap at the sink and use a ceramic filter just before that tap.  We will need to bottle some of the water and keep it in the fridge just to keep it cold.  But the three systems should give us adequate drinking water.

I'll try to find a tank that has a bottom drain so I can do a good flush or bleach/flush occasionally.  But so far, we have found reasonable water sources.

Thanks,
Dave
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 10:15:42 AM »
Hi Guy's,

Along with 1/4 cup of bleach every other tank fill, I use a commercial filtration system

that I use on ice machines and fountain systems. Everpure MC filters.

http://www.everpure.com/products/ViewProduct/Pages/default.aspx?ProductNumber=EV9275-02

This is the unit I use. It's a little overkill however, the larger unit doesn't restrict any water flow

like the smaller home types. I replace the two MC cartridges every spring. It's a sub micronic

filter down to a 1/2 micron and prevents bacteria growth.

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline scanzel

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 05:05:46 AM »
That Everpure looks great but what can we expect to pay for it ? Looks to be very expensive especially if having to pay retail.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 08:05:59 AM »
Hi Steve,

Yes, on the high side retailing at $590.00 and replacement cartrages are $93.30 each

If anyone here wanted this system "you know" I will pass along my cost + ship.. (30% off retail)

Although I just looked on the interweb and seen them as low as $320.00...

Nick-
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.

Offline scanzel

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 08:10:16 AM »
If one were to install something like the Everpure unit where in line would be the best location for it. Incoming water line from street, between the water tank and water pump before it gets to the hot water heater and faucets ? With the small flow rate of these units how would this affect taking a shower ? I am getting ready this spring to start my water and heating plumbing and would like to incorporate filtration but need some insite on the best location and units.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

• Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 08:15:02 AM »
Steve,

You will have No water restriction with this unit... It's the major reason I chose this one.

I have my system installed in my water bay just after my pump. You can really install

it wherever you like, either before the pump or after. This unit also has a built in bypass

it you ever get to that point of clogging up the filters. There is also a gauge to show you

the operating PSI. This will also let you know when the filters are starting to slow.

Nick-

• Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 08:18:12 AM »
Oh,

I also wanted to mention that they are the easiest filters to replace.

Just a 1/4 turn and they are off!

Offline TomC

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 02:05:15 PM »
I use the same make, but smaller single filter element that is available at Camping World. I change it once a year. Takes maybe as much as 2 minutes to change. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 05:27:51 AM »
We installed a reverse osmosis system. Works well for us. It's plumbed into our fridge ice and water maker like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal