Author Topic: recommended diesel generator make???  (Read 24965 times)

Offline oldmansax

Re: recommended diesel generator make???
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 05:07:41 AM »
I had an Onan Marquis air cooled gas generator in my MCI that was quiet as a mouse and very reliable. Very happy with it. The Wanderlodge came with a Kohler 12.5KW diesel water cooled that was very noisy. It died & I replaced it with a diesel 12KW air cooled Onan. It was on a fire truck. I bought it from the junk yard for $600. It had 650 hours on it. It runs fine, does the job with zero problems, & is not any louder that the old Kohler. I also like not having to fool with a radiator & antifreeze. I ran it last summer under about 80% load (3 X 14KBTU A/Cs, electric water heater, electric frig, & misc loads) & it ran fine & didn't overheat at all.

That's why they make chocolate & vanilla........ It's all according to what you like!   ;D ;D

TOM   
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Online lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 06:51:51 AM »
Hi Kitt, looks like the product that they use in Marathon Prevost conversions, lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: Re: recommended diesel generator make???
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 07:03:52 AM »
The reason I would want auto start is that we just visited Big Bend National park and they don't have hookups in the main campground.  On top of that genny hours were from 8am until 8pm.  I often found ourselves having to decide what time of day we had to leave or be back by to start up the generator to run for 2hrs to charge the batteries.  Kind of a pain as we would have liked to have left before 10am each morning and have been back after 6 each night.

Sean, you might take a look at Magnum's auto generator start. They have two models - one that interfaces with their inverters and another that is standalone (http://magnumenergy.com/auto-generator-start-stand-alone-me-ags-s/).

Kitt -  that's exactly what I am looking for.  Love that it has a quiet time setting.  Thanks for this.

Quote from: Len Silva
I would be very nervous about the reliability of auto start when I was away for more than a few hours.  Whether I used auto start or not, I would opt for an alarm system that could call my phone in the event of a malfunction.
Len - most of these auto starts/controllers have a generator fault setting that I am sure you could rig up to that alarm system.  It would be a nice touch. Although we had little to no cell coverage and no wifi when were in Big Bend.

Quote from: wg4t50
Would search for the DynaGen ES52 manual or I can Email it with an address.

Dave -  I looked at this.  That is a great controller with many features. I would love to replace my current control board with that. I think it still  needed a signal from another device to auto start though.  The magnum controller above has that capability and they even have a diagram on the magnum website to wire to a ES52.

Thanks guys. This is awesome stuff.  And Larry - again...sorry that I hijacked your thread (just a little bit). 
-Sean

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 07:56:41 AM »
Many configurations available including  thermostat signal to start the genset to run the A/C and yes the DynaGen ES52 controller is a very popular control unit.
Have installed many, mostly to upgrade older out of production and parts no longer available.
Also they work great on diesel, glow plugs, gas engines, gasoline or vapor and electronic or mechanical governors.
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline belfert

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 08:24:25 AM »
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mace-Wireless-Home-Security-System-80355/100654450

The web page specifically says this requires a land line.  I assume only the sensors themselves are wireless.

There are a number of power outage alarms that send alerts via cellular, but they seem to cost $200 and up.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 01:30:51 PM »
The web page specifically says this requires a land line.  I assume only the sensors themselves are wireless.

There are a number of power outage alarms that send alerts via cellular, but they seem to cost $200 and up.

My bad!  When all else fails, read the instructions.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 05:27:10 PM »
Been looking for a voltage sensitive monitoring relay device to start the generator at 12.2VDC and run for a preset time, think the basic sensor would be this one, then would need to add a time delay opening relay to stop the genset when the battery was full charged.  Anyway take a look.
Dave M

http://atkinsonelectronics.com/manufacturing/product_pdfs/VRDC-40A.pdf

My Setup came with the DynaGen BCM (Battery Cotrol Monitor), however they no longer produce it (Rats)   Has been doing a great job.
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline digesterman

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2014, 08:53:03 AM »
I would be very nervous about the reliability of auto start when I was away for more than a few hours.  Whether I used auto start or not, I would opt for an alarm system that could call my phone in the event of a malfunction.

Here is one from a quick search:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mace-Wireless-Home-Security-System-80355/100654450

Buy a good auto start, then you don't have to worry. I have used the GSCM products for years and have never had a problem. They have dedicated wiring setups for Outback inverter/chargers too, which makes for ease of setup. If you diesel generator has a safety shutdown system, which I think most good ones do, what's to worry about. I have left mine for weeks on end and have never had a problem.
Lee
Le Mirage XL 45E
Detroit Series 60
470HP
111,230 original miles (11-2015)

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2014, 01:52:50 PM »
  ... take a look.   Dave M

http://atkinsonelectronics.com/manufacturing/product_pdfs/VRDC-40A.pdf 

If I read the price list right, that one is about $90, this one (simpler but looks good) is $70.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2014, 03:21:54 PM »
My Foretravel has the DynaGen DC voltage monitor, have it adjusted to start the genset at 12.2 VDC, it runs for 2.5hours, that seems to be correct when I had the 8g8d Gel batteries, now have 4 of them, but very little experience with what run time is correct.
DyanGen no longer makes he DC voltage sensor, I was able to down load the manual before they took it off the list.
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline digesterman

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2014, 04:18:34 PM »
    If I read the price list right, that one is about $90, this one (simpler but looks good) is $70.
That is the company that makes the auto gen starts that I have had good luck with. Seems they cost a lot more than 90 bucks tho. The ones I get are fully adjustable and start diesels, many auto starts don't due to the glow plugs. Very good support also. Before you buy call and talk to a tech, they won't try to oversell you but will explain exactly what their product does.
Lee
Le Mirage XL 45E
Detroit Series 60
470HP
111,230 original miles (11-2015)

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »
Maybe I am missing something (very likely),it looks like there is no adjustable time delay for run time once the low voltage has been triggered,

My setup triggers on at 12.2 volts DC, and keeps the generator running for 2.5 hours, all these setting are adjustable. The Xantrex has a few charge rates, but starts off at 100 amp charge, and in the 2.5 hour run time, it drops back to about 10 amps.

Just glad I do not need one at this time as the DyanGen voltage sensor is doing great (so far).
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Audiomaker

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2014, 08:18:05 PM »
Larry,

The space you have is going to limit your options.  Power Tech (especially the CD 7000) is about the closest I know of at 34" long, and you would need it to be open at the right end (looking at it installed) for air flow to the radiator.
It would just fit your 32" if you ran a remote radiator (which I actually prefer if you can find a location for it).

If I read it correctly, you are going to stick with your Honda for a bit, but down the road you might consider one of these.
A remote radiator setup can be very useful since it is easy to tap the water line with heat exchangers for water or air heating (My CD puts out enough heat to warm the entire rig if it weren't being blasted out into the atmosphere).

Aside from that, as others have mentioned, the APU from a big rig may be your best bet if you are limited to that amount of space.
They also have the advantage of having built in A/C compressors so if you get one complete with the in-cab amenities, you can cool your rig with one at less cost per BTU than an electric A/C.
The truckers know what they're doing here.

I for one will probably install an APU next to my Power Tech.  I like smaller (but still commercial) generators that don't waste so much fuel at low loads, and supplement this with a good inverter (and perhaps solar) setup.

I will probably look for an APU that also carries a Kubota in it.  I've been pleased with mine (currently running 18hrs/day for over 2 months having over 5000hrs on it already).

Anyway, if I had the space to work with that you do, it would be a Powertech CD with remote radiator, or the APU from a big rig.

All the Best

Offline TomC

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2014, 09:19:15 PM »
I am installing a 12kw Wrico Genset into my truck. It is only 36" long and uses a 3cylinder Kubota. It uses a 13kw head, but Dick Wright derated it to 12kw because of the engine.

With Diesel engines, there is very little difference in running a small engine or a large engine fuel wise (for instance, you can get just about the same fuel mileage in a truck with a 350hp as with a 600hp-if driven the same). I would NOT use another APU in addition to the Diesel genset-just a waste of space and weight.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Audiomaker

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2014, 10:29:21 PM »
I am installing a 12kw Wrico Genset into my truck. It is only 36" long and uses a 3cylinder Kubota. It uses a 13kw head, but Dick Wright derated it to 12kw because of the engine.

With Diesel engines, there is very little difference in running a small engine or a large engine fuel wise (for instance, you can get just about the same fuel mileage in a truck with a 350hp as with a 600hp-if driven the same). I would NOT use another APU in addition to the Diesel genset-just a waste of space and weight.  Good Luck, TomC

That's an interesting take Tom.
I would agree that they are not linear but the smaller one's do use less fuel for small loads (ie...running at minimum throttle).
The Power Tech spec's for the genny I own (CD7000) compared to the slightly larger CD8000 (905 and 1105 Kubotas respectively) do show a difference in no load / quarter / half / full between the two, and you are correct... it's not a lot but it's there.

Personally I wanted the smallest commercial generator that I could find as I'm mostly charging batteries with it and I'm trying to do the ultra-green/solar/inverter thing.
For people who are considering boon docking as I am (or the option really), and extra gallon a day might matter.
I have been off grid for over a month now and am in fact typing this from a diesel powered computer and internet connection.
That generator is about as critical as things get for me at least until i can afford some solar up top.
Because of this, and because my generator has been running for the last 20hrs mostly powering maybe 1kw out of it's 7kw potential, I would prefer myself to have one even smaller if I could (but still commercial, and still diesel).
The APU's fill this gap and I think they can supply 5k or so on their 2cyl Kubotas...Perkins..or whatever.
So for the weight, and actual usage, I think you could get a small genset and an APU for about what a 10 or 12k weighs...at least in the ballpark and have not only redundancy of a critical system, but the option to run A/C and other acc's that APUs come with directly instead of running a larger generator to do so.
Setup correctly with battery and inverter power, you get security and efficiency.
At least that's how I calculate it.
My rig had a generator compartment set up for a 30kw set.  I skipped this in favor of the 7kw stuffed in a smaller compartment, and I think I still have room for a used APU when $ allows.

Cheers!
Sean

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal