Author Topic: retreads  (Read 12882 times)

Offline pete36330

• my mc9 ,,gonna finish it one day ,,
retreads
« on: March 25, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
any opinions  on running retreads on the rear of my mc9 ? pro or con ? which ones would be best ? thanks Pete

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
Re: retreads
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 07:07:09 PM »
Hi Pete, I would prefer used over retread, lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 07:38:13 PM »
A good retread like Bandag will give you good results every bus nut should stop at the Bridgestone testing grounds outside Ft Stockton Tx off I 10 I spent a day there Bridgestone the owners of Bandag puts the recaps through some tough testing that will never be seen in the real world
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:56:35 PM »
Believe it or not, 50% of the big rubber pieces in the road-alligators-are from new tires blowing. Nothing wrong with a name brand retread. Like any other tire, keeping the tire pressure up is the main concern. UPS runs recaps on all positions on their delivery cars (step vans). Personally, I'd rather run a recap then a used tire-you don't know where that tire has been. A recap has been carefully inspected before capping. Then it is put in the oven to cure again. Should go to Bandag and see all what they do to recap a tire. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 05:11:12 AM »
Goodyear,Michelin and Bridgestone all have recapping plants I just read on the internet of all places that the Goodyear capping plant in Ft Smith AR was rated the # 1 in the US 

Offline pete36330

• my mc9 ,,gonna finish it one day ,,
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 05:50:26 AM »
thanks for all the responses,,recaps  it will be ,,,especially at less than half the price of new ones ,,Pete

Offline Jon

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 07:24:51 AM »
I cannot imagine a retread or a used tire being much value on a coach only driven a few miles annually.

No matter how you look at it the casing is junk after 6 to 10 years depending on your risk tolerance.

So unless you get a retread or used tire with a nearly new date code your half price is a crap shoot. A trucker who puts 120,000 miles a year on his tires will wear out a 5 year old casing in one year and his money was well spent. An RV owner runs the risk of getting a casing at the limit of its age and it times out long before it wears out.

But to be honest a lot of people on here roll the dice by heading down the road with old tires and dodge a bullet every day so if you are lucky it makes sense. If you are risk averse try to figure out how you can get your half priced tires with year old date codes.
Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 08:18:24 AM »
We just got back from a 4500 mile trip I saw more alligators from tires in Texas than anywhere 5 of the super singles I don't think they like the 80 mph speed limit on I 10 
I saw a new H-45 throw 2 rear Michelin's in New Mexico it was one of the Nascar people new bus it made a mess on the rear the panel it was laying in the road

Offline belfert

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:46:35 AM »
Like Jon says, casing life can be an issue with retreads.  Hardly any of us will wear a new tire out.  If a casing in bus conversion use will last 7 to 10 years do you really want to start with a 5 year old casing?  Maybe I'm wrong and casings used for retreads will last longer than I expect.  I choose not to us retreads when I got new drives last year.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 10:38:55 AM »
I wonder if you could use recaps on the front axle of a converted bus since it is no longer a passenger carrier,a bus is the only vehicle not allowed to use recaps on the front axle truckers run caps on the front axle not that I would just asking the ?

Offline TomC

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 11:01:52 AM »
Commercial big rig trucks are NOT allowed to run recaps on the front axles. I personally would only run the best new tires on the steer axle at all times. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 11:15:04 AM »
The Feds say you can TomC it is in the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Regulations  some states say no but very few of those

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 11:26:21 AM »
Would hope today's recaps are much improved vs 40 yrs ago.  I have not had an issue with caps on trailers, but alwaysran 110-115 psi, very light heating and no issues. Maybe just lucky, just glad to get away from the tube tire, yikes !!
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline TomC

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 11:27:39 AM »
I just talked to my tire guy who is also a Bandag recapper. Let me restate-if you are running a truck across state lines you cannot use recaps on the front axle. If you are carrying passengers, hazmat, petroleum, chemicals, etc you cannot run recaps on the front-even though you can if you are an intra state (inside the state) carrier.
About the only two companies that my recapper knows that runs recaps on the front are UPS on their delivery cars (step vans) and trash trucks. But-the only way you can run a recap on the front is if it only has one casing repair, and it is stamped on the side approved for steer axle. Of which my tire guy will not do.
Some of the trash trucks will have their tires recapped 8 times. Since the trash trucks don't go very fast or don't go long distances, cost of operation is much more important then a tire blowing.

I would run a recap on the drive and tag axles of a motorhome. Good Luck, TomC

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 11:44:46 AM »
Ok just read the book it states you can I just ask the question as I see recaps on the front of about all of the Mexicans trucks running our highways but not on the Mexican buses I am not going to run caps on the front of anything

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal