Author Topic: prevost H60  (Read 19636 times)

Offline Boomer

Re: prevost H60
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 08:55:56 AM »
I knew that would twist ya BK.  Heck, Setra couldn't stay viable in the USA so they had to merge with MCI, lol.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438, NO MORE
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
'48 Kenworth W-1 highway coach, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 10:04:25 AM »
I just read the sales report for MCI/Setra and Prevost they are killing Prevost even with the Prevost creative financing
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline B_K

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 06:43:24 PM »
I knew that would twist ya BK.  Heck, Setra couldn't stay viable in the USA so they had to merge with MCI, lol.

Come on Mark yer smarter than that! Everybody knows Diamler has a habit of taking over companies that are in trouble by loaning them $ until they get a controlling share,
Then they just swoop it up and take over. (Chrysler, Western Star, Freightliner, Detroit Diesel.... need I say more)

So back when MCI was failing and about to crumble and Diamler/Setra could have put the nail in the coffin by not allowing MCI to use DD or MB engines, Prevost had exclusive rights to Volvo (whoopie who wants a Volvo engine), Van Hool had Cummins, and CAT was pulling out of the over the road market. Everybody could have left MCI with no power plant AND NO $!

But Diamler saw an opportunity to set the hook by offering MCI $ to bail them out. And in return MCI would handle all SETRA US operations. (parts, sales, repairs, and tech support)   

Let me tell you it was a really rough start and after many calls and emails to Dialer Corporate HQ things finally got somewhat smoother. (still not perfect but an email to Diamler gets action quick!)

It's only a matter of time before MCI is another Diamler company!

Then they'll set their sights on Prevost! ;)
;D  BK  ;D

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 07:21:43 PM »
Looks like they are reeling in VanHool I saw a new TX45 with the DD13 and a big chrome strip like a Setra only lower, a good looking bus for sure has a American drive train 

Offline CrabbyMilton

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 03:40:59 AM »
It would appear that VAN-HOOL had less than grand products in terms of quality here back in the 90's thru the early '00's but their latest offerings are much improved. Yes the new TX and CX are sharp lookers and VAN-HOOL also dropped the 3035RE so I guess they don't see much in the market for 35' over the road buses. But then again TEMSA has that 35' model and I have heard they are gaining popularity and now they have a 45' model. That MCI/SETRA deal is indeed a spaghetti plate so it will be interesting to see if any models on both sides of the brands will be dropped .BCI tried to make a dent but there quality was horrible at best and they offered MAXFORCE engines and now it apprears that NAVISTAR is showing signs of getting out of the engine business. As some of you know, I own CUMMINS stock but that VOLVO engine is a good one(gobs of torque) and PREVOST did the right thing from a cost standpoint by just concentrating on one engine though it would be nice if they offered a CUMMINS..oh well.

Offline digesterman

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 07:08:34 AM »
Since Ford owns both Prevost and Volvo I doubt they are likely to offer any other power unit in the near future.
Lee
Le Mirage XL 45E
Detroit Series 60
470HP
111,230 original miles (11-2015)

Offline Jon

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 07:45:23 AM »
Ford has nothing to do with the Volvo that owns Prevost.
Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN

Offline dukegrad98

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 07:46:05 AM »
Since Ford owns both Prevost and Volvo I doubt they are likely to offer any other power unit in the near future.

Ford dumped its ownership of Volvo Cars back in 2010 -- like most of its acquisitions, it was a money-loser.  I don't think Ford ever owned any interested in Volvo Trucks, Volvo Bus, Penta, etc.  

Volvo Bus Corporation has owned Prevost since 1995, but I think Prevost only started installing Volvo engines a couple of years ago.  Mostly Detroit Diesels before that.

Cheers, John

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 08:09:29 AM »
Volvo has never been one smart enough to build their own products but have been smart enough to buy manufactures with a good product, their construction equipment sucks big time,it is cheap enough compared to Cat but no where in the same class The Volvo buses rule Mexico I don't what engine they have but here in AZ you sure see a lot on the side of the road with their skirt pulled up and Mexicans looking  ::)  

I believe since Scinia has open their engine plant here in the US and their engines are EPA compliance they are going to make a moves on the big guys with their trucks and buses just a matter of time  

Offline TomC

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 08:20:52 AM »
Had a VanHool in the shop with a recent DD13 and all the DEF stuff. Talk about cramming in a lot of equipment! Good luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline digesterman

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2014, 06:07:06 AM »
Ford dumped its ownership of Volvo Cars back in 2010 -- like most of its acquisitions, it was a money-loser.  I don't think Ford ever owned any interested in Volvo Trucks, Volvo Bus, Penta, etc.  

Volvo Bus Corporation has owned Prevost since 1995, but I think Prevost only started installing Volvo engines a couple of years ago.  Mostly Detroit Diesels before that.

Cheers, John

Thanks Jon and John, I hate misinformation on the net, it never happens does it  ;D. I really don't remember how that bit of misinformation got into my head and why it stuck there. You are of course right. Thanks for the correction, makes much more sense. Lee
Lee
Le Mirage XL 45E
Detroit Series 60
470HP
111,230 original miles (11-2015)

Offline CrabbyMilton

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2014, 06:22:15 AM »
Don't feel bad about it. At one time VOLVO probably was one company. Then they sold off parts of it and made agreements that the new owners could keep the name for marketing purposes. TV and radio is often like that too with their respective networks and stations. Here in Milwaukee WISN TV CHANNEL 12 the almost forever ABC affiliate is not associated with WISN AM 1130 radio. But at one time many years ago they were owned by the same company. This causes some confusion thinking they are part of the same group.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2014, 06:45:11 AM »
One never knows who owns what Volvo for years has kept Scania out of the US market with their 21% stake in Scania now with the merger and takeover by VW and Man over night Scania has become the 2nd largest producer in the world of trucks and buses they are coming  ::)

Offline Ryan B

• Conversion Blog
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 06:50:22 AM »
I was in Seattle at Northwest Bus Sales and they had three of these, ex Grey Line Buses. I never knew they only came with the 8v71, I can't imagine trying to throttle one of those up a hill while full or bodies.

Offline dukegrad98

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 07:04:13 AM »
Don't sweat the who-owns-what stuff.  Like someone said, it can be very hard to follow, and these things change hands a lot more often than you'd think!  I just follow Ford a bit because a bigwig buddy of mine is on the board up there, and I've always had fantasies about an Aston Martin in the garage (which, by the way, has also been mostly divested -- I think Ford still holds about 15% or so). 

I never knew they only came with the 8v71, I can't imagine trying to throttle one of those up a hill while full or bodies.

Is that right?  I feel like I've seen one with an 8V92, but I could sure be wrong.  And I'm positive that I have seen a transit version of the bendy-bus with a Series 50, but I couldn't swear what model it was.  S50 seemed like it would be okay for around town, but might struggle down the interstate in something that big.

Cheers, John

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal