Author Topic: bus towing charges/options  (Read 13459 times)

Offline lostagain

Re: bus towing charges/options
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 06:19:15 AM »
If you are looking at C models, might as well look at D3s (40 foot) or DL3s (45 foot). Lots of them still in service. Price of used ones coming down. One with a pre EGR Series 60 (before '98 I think) would be great.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline Flight102C3

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 07:00:26 AM »
Hi old ford, I'm running a 1991  102c3 with a N14, Allison 740 very happy with the way it turning out. Still have a lot of work to do.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 07:11:10 AM »
The C can be had with a Cat engine also,but like JC I would go for the D just watch the rust on the east coast D's the VanHools and Eagles have nothing on some of the D's they rust with the best  ::)
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 07:47:31 AM »
Old Ford [NAME???]-

Be smart about this.

The market for used conversions is totally in the toilet right now, has been for awhile, and is probably not going to change for at least the foreseeable future .

Far better off to spend a little more up front now to purchase one that's already been converted (especially from one of the pro shops), than to start from scratch.

There are a lot of "dreams" sitting alongside barns where somebody started the way you're thinking, became overwhelmed and gave up, never even getting the opportunity to enjoy their dream.

So go shopping for a completed one, find a coach that's really close to what you want, then simply upgrade here and there as needed, while in the meantime getting to use it. 

Seriously.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 07:56:33 AM »
Yep for 50 grand and under one can buy a nice late model conversion with a little shopping not worth the trouble and money to convert a old bus with a million miles unless you just like to do it your way

Offline Charles in SC

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 05:59:36 PM »
Yep for 50 grand and under one can buy a nice late model conversion with a little shopping not worth the trouble and money to convert a old bus with a million miles unless you just like to do it your way

Wow, 50 grand huh. I think I have about 13 in my 1969 GMC after converting it. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in the end. Also remember that sometimes the journey is a big part of the fun.
S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 06:30:25 PM »
Wow, 50 grand huh. I think I have about 13 in my 1969 GMC after converting it. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in the end. Also remember that sometimes the journey is a big part of the fun.

Tell us more, any motor or suspension work or tires in that number ?
Did you buy it with any house systems, batteries, inverters etc. ?
 ;D ??? :) ::) ??? ;D
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline oldfordlover36

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 08:49:42 PM »
Well I got the 102c3 was bar far the cleanest bus I've looked at thus far and for under 10k I couldn't pass it up.  I would like to get an already converted bus but don't want to spend 50k as previously mentioned and am going to do a bedroom and a few other amenities for now and use it!  I was looking at another s&s motorhome and for 15k u just don't get much so I figured an old bus would just be more fun to drive and work on!  The mci has a m11 cummins which I was pleasantly surprised by.  Maby it will never get fully converted but I will get it usable for now and get bussing.  Will keep. Posted on the progress.

Offline shelled

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 09:14:01 PM »
oldfordlover,

a lot of the cost of converting a bus is directly related to LUCK.  You can rarely be certain that there are no lurking faults.  If you've been restoring old pickups, you already know the drill.  Best of luck to you.

edward

p.s. -- some pics in the projects section would be nice.
Rampside/UltraVan/Excalibur/4104/4107/etc -- Dallas Tx

Offline Charles in SC

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 08:04:29 PM »
Tell us more, any motor or suspension work or tires in that number ?
Did you buy it with any house systems, batteries, inverters etc. ?
 ;D ??? :) ::) ??? ;D

Maybe I was lucky, it was seated when I got it, the motor and running gear has been great so far. That price included replacing all the air bags, a few of the drag like bushings, all tires, installing three roof ac/s, a diesel generator, building tanks and interior. It is not plush as a Prevost but has served me well for ten years now since converting.
I guess if I had gold plated everything maybe I could have had 50k in it but I would have had to work at it.
S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 10:04:58 AM »
You will have 50 grand in a 1,000.000 chassis just keep it long enough with engines costing 20+K to rebuild and not even gold plated either  ::) more like alpine green paint

Offline Jon

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »
The hardest part to trying to give advice such as on this topic is figuring out what constitutes an acceptable conversion and a person's tolerance level for work, problems, living conditions, appearance, decor, etc.

My wife's senior citizen cousin is not only satisfied with camping in primitive conditions, she looks forward to "roughing it". She will accept living in a tent, pooping in the bushes, and living for extended periods on what she can stuff in a back pack. To her our bus is so far over the top she cannot picture herself staying in one. Obviously we come at vacationing from two completely different perspectives so when we give advice our reference point is not roughing it, but living in the greatest amount of comfort we can within the size constraints of our coach.

So when I think of a converted bus my expectations are it will run reliably and if a person takes a 1000 mile trip in it they won't post that the trip went off without a mechanical problem. In fact the opposite would be the case. There might be a post if something needed repairs.

The interior would be done to the extent it will be like living at home. The outlets will have power the appliances will work, the TVs will work, will have hot and cold running water and a flushing toilet and if I choose I can keep the windows closed and enjoy air conditioned comfort. I won't sleep on the floor I won't sit on crates, but in fact will have a real bed and comfortable seating in the living room plus a table in the dining area.

Plywood walls, sleeping bags, port-a-potties and water in jugs won't cut it.

There is no doubt a person can build a coach cheap. With a great deal of scrounging, patience, and a little luck a person can build a great converted coach, especially if time is not a factor. But if the intent is to have a bus that can be a nice RV and to be able to use it while being creative it is hard to beat a completed professionally converted coach that is complete, and that the owner can change to suit his tastes and needs a bit at a time.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 04:26:09 PM »
Lol I paid a ton for my paint job,it all depends on what one wants I know what it costs to resurrect a Eagle 50 grand didn't even come close,I would never do again with the prices of low mileage factory conversions in todays market but we each do it different   

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 07:13:55 PM »
Got to have the   50 grand up front!!  Try borrowing on  bus over 10 yrs old.. Out of my pay grade!!!  Guess I wasn't smart enough..  If you got it ---decide where your going to use it..  Retired,fixed income,and Home-builder.. Bob   PS: doing what I can with what I got.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2014, 07:59:45 AM »
Not enough time left in life for me to even think about project like yours again Bob ,hang on to all the receipts you will be at the 50 grand mark and if you figure 10 bucks a hr for your time it will be over 

LOl not enough time left then I think a about Jack Campbell you gotta love the guy at his age doing another one

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal