Author Topic: Hookups... left or right side?  (Read 27952 times)

Offline sparkplug188

• 1979 Model 5 Eagle - 45/102 8v92 HT740
Re: Hookups... left or right side?
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2014, 04:01:55 PM »
Good point Tom. I guess I assumed it was in the back but I took another look today and there is no vent tube. There is a propane smell due to a leaking hose clamp though...  >:(

Time to add it to the list...

:o Add it to the TOP of the list!

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2014, 05:06:43 PM »
If you are only going to take short jaunts the stationary tanks are fine, fill before you go. If you plan to spend any length of time in the coach go for the portable tanks!

Which brings up the subject of automatic tank change over valves.  Really a super great idea. One tank empty's and the valve magically switches to the other with out any effort on your part.  Modern technology, don't you love it?

So when you are in middle of cooking a really nice NY strip and you run out of gas, you now have 2  empty LP tanks ;D
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline Audiomaker

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2014, 07:14:41 PM »
If you are only going to take short jaunts the stationary tanks are fine, fill before you go. If you plan to spend any length of time in the coach go for the portable tanks!

Makes sense.  I had room for a 30gal (120lb?) horizontal tank.   I would think 120lbs should last awhile but I really don't know.

I will tuck away one or two portables as well.

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2014, 05:48:49 AM »

Which brings up the subject of automatic tank change over valves.  Really a super great idea. One tank empty's and the valve magically switches to the other with out any effort on your part.  Modern technology, don't you love it?

So when you are in middle of cooking a really nice NY strip and you run out of gas, you now have 2  empty LP tanks ;D

If you do not have automatic change over valves, it will always be cold and rainy when one tank empties.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2014, 06:00:13 AM »
It will be an absolutely gorgeous day out when one tank empty's, you are outside grilling steaks remember. :D
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2014, 06:08:24 AM »
  If you do not have automatic change over valves, it will always be cold and rainy when one tank empties. 

Not a fight I got a dog in, but is there any indication (separate gauges for each tank???) when the first tank is empty and the change over valve changes over?
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2014, 06:34:56 AM »
Nope
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline TomC

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2014, 08:26:44 AM »
Nice thing about permanent chassis mounted tanks, is that you can have a gauge inside the bus. I also have a switched solenoid so I can only have on the gas when needed (I only use propane for furnace and stove). Then with the gauge you have plenty of notice before running out. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2014, 09:28:50 AM »
We have a permanent tank and a removable one connected with an automatic switch over.  I always use the portable tank first and generally refill it as soon as it empties.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Audiomaker

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2014, 10:29:44 AM »
We have a permanent tank and a removable one connected with an automatic switch over.  I always use the portable tank first and generally refill it as soon as it empties.

I like this idea.

I wonder...

My stationary tank has a sender built into the physical gauge (0-90ohm).  I wonder if one could install such a sender on a portable so that you could have an interior gauge for your portable(s)?

0-90ohm is common as fuel tank gauge impedance so you should be able to use an aftermarket automotive fuel gauge (including digital if you liked).

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2014, 12:32:41 PM »
    Not a fight I got a dog in, but is there any indication (separate gauges for each tank???) when the first tank is empty and the change over valve changes over?
The Camco 59005 regulator has a small colored indicator that changes between green and red when it switches from one cylinder to the other.   Besides, each of my cylinders has its own little gauge showing sort-of how full-ish it is  -  they will tell you which cylinder has run out and which is still OK.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »
When the automatic switchover takes place, it does not move the valve handle/indicator.  Hence, even though it is using the second tank, the indicator still points toward the first tank and displays red to show it is empty.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline sparkplug188

• 1979 Model 5 Eagle - 45/102 8v92 HT740
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2014, 03:26:01 AM »
I ordered the Camco 59005 regulator and supply hoses. The regulator supply lines are long enough to mount the regulator next to the tankless water heater.  I need help with the low pressure side-- I plan on using a 1' long piece of black pipe, a couple 90° fittings, and a brass adapter to go from 3/8 NPT female regulator output  to 3/4 black pipe.  However, I have not been able to find that specific brass adapter.  Anyone know where I can find one?

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
Re: Re: Hookups... left or right side?
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2014, 07:25:42 AM »
You may Have to go to OSH or the depot and it might take a few pieces to get from 1to the other with reducers.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: Hookups... left or right side?
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »
Pexsupply.com

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org