Author Topic: Bus Oil  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Frank @ TX

Bus Oil
« on: June 18, 2014, 01:26:34 PM »
I heard in the past that Delo #400 was not a good oil for 6V92.
I'm right now looking for oil and found some Delo #400 -40W - CF2.
Why would this oil not match the DD spec for #92 oil ??
Frank

Offline muldoonman

Re: Bus Oil
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 02:06:48 PM »
Frank, haven't got a clue but was told run Delo 100 in my 8V92TA. Folks say 400 will just start running though it. We will get a  schooling shortly.  ;D

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 02:53:39 PM »
Frank -

What you've found is probably some stock that's been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse somewhere, and now they're trying to move this old inventory.  So for a little background: At one point in time, Delo 400 40w CF-2 was produced by Chevron alongside Delo 100.  D-400 had a little higher sulfated ash content than D-100, but it still met Detroit 2-stroke specs, thus was ok to use.

Chevron then reformulated D-400, and it no longer meets the DD 2-stroke specs - even says so on their website - but is ok for the 4-stroke engines.

Just don't use any multi-weight oil in a two-stroke.

Beyond that, when Clifford (luvrbus) chimes in, listen to him, he's the expert.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)

1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 03:06:24 PM »
I am not even going there RJ but it is well document by DD the engine wear is less with higher contents of ash in the oil than the lower ash oils use straight 40W whatever brand you run
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Van

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 05:48:23 PM »
Awe c'mon you guys, aren't all oils the same? lol ???  ;)

B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline John Z

• 1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota
  • "Tubby"
    • Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 07:22:20 PM »
Wait, wait guys. Let me go make some popcorn and grab a cold drink. This could be good. :)
Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"

Offline Cosmo

• "Waitin' for the Bus"
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 07:46:44 PM »
What about Amsoil? Just pulling your chain lol, I know I'm new to bus motors, but everything I've read and knowing a very good diesel bus mechanic, he swears by Delo 100 40wt. Problem is, getting hard to get, so I hear. I just picked up three cases in OKC and there is a lot more where that came from. Lucky for me, when I got my bus I also got the service manual that goes with it. I have a lot of questions, but I'll save them for a different post. Still need to get pictures posted.
"I have bus fever, kinda like Harley crotch"
1964 GM PD4106 - 2473
DD V8-71/ Spicer 4 speed/ Wind
"Waitin' for the Bus"

Offline Frank @ TX

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 12:16:41 PM »
Thanks guys
Frank

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 02:24:15 PM »
  I am not even going there RJ but it is well document by DD the engine wear is less with higher contents of ash in the oil than the lower ash oils use straight 40W whatever brand you run   

When I stated in this business, the ratings were about SE and CC ("S" is the rating for Spark ignition/gasoline engines and "C" is Compression/diesel engines).  Up to about SE and CF, if you went to a higher letter, it was a better oil -- more protection for the engine, better performance, etc.  After that, it got "political".  The new oils were formulated for something that the gummints around the world threw at the oil companies -- better fuel economy, lower oil burning for emissions, less fouling of catalysts, lower particulates etc.  For most of them the ratings, the improvements were impressive for *What They Were Trying To Regulate*!  But in a lot of cases, the lubrication qualities, engine protection, prevention of wear or corrosion ... not so good.  Listen to Clifford, the "newer" oils are NOT always the better oils.
    (PS - the suffix on "C" ratings in the type of engine; "CF-2" is an oil rated for 2-stroke diesels, "CF-4" is an oil rated for 4-strokes.)
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 09:44:18 PM »
Whats the Spark plug gap set at on a DD!.... ;D ::) :o
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 09:38:12 AM »
LOL I get a big kick from the oil debate people beat it to death here and then pay no attention to the fuel and antifreeze specs for these old engines, there is not much one can do about the fuel specs you buy what they sell at pumps 

The oil companies decided back in 70's they were not going to make a special fuel for the strokes so it has been No 2 fuel for years same with the oil, people are fooling their self thinking the oil companies are going to make a special oil for a obsolete  engine no matter what is said on the internet

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Audiomaker

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 09:57:19 AM »
And additives like Lucas Stabilizer?

Offline gg04

• Full throttle 'til you see God
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »
Still running Royal Purple 50wt..In my bus and race truck....rdw
If you personally have not done it  , or saw it done.. do not say it cannot be done...1960 4104 6L71ta ddec Falfurrias Tx

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal