June 24, 2018, 11:57:54 AM

Author Topic: intercooler vs aftercooler choices  (Read 2135 times)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
intercooler vs aftercooler choices
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:49:07 AM »
After reading and pondering all of the advice from my earlier CAC thread, I am now considering going with an aftercooler as an option.  Reasoning is mostly packaging - it's going to be hard to get an appropriately sized intercooler installed in the MC-5C spaces, just not a lot of room.  So the question becomes what is the parts list needed for an aftercooler, and how is it plumbed?  Clifford, you mentioned that you had a air diffuser that I might well need to ask for, I see aftercoolers for sale but with really high prices or a big core charge, can they be found used?  I have an 8V-71 block that has the hole in front that is for the front aftercooler pipe.

I am kind of thinking I would just need to pull the blower off, install the aftercooler bits, plumb it in and reinstall the blower, which is achievable.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline stevet903

Offline TomC

Re: intercooler vs aftercooler choices
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 08:23:37 AM »
First you're going to have to have a block that accepts the plumbing for the aftercooler. On a 8V-71, the highest horsepower Detroit offered with 80 injectors was 400hp with 1200lb/ft torque. A Cummins 8.9 liter ISL that weighs 600lbs less will put out that power and probably get 2-3mpg better. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 10:39:12 AM »
My block has the water outlet port in front of the blower (it was used for the spark ignition pre-heating device on the NATO engine) so I am going to presume that the block will fit the aftercooler for now.  Reading my manual it seems I need the aftercooler itself, the water outlet tube, the water inlet adaptor, a gasket set, some special bolts with locking patches, and that's about it.  I would also need to figure out where to connect the water outlet tube to, since my engine has a coolant cross pipe between the two thermostat housings where the manual shows the coolant outlet pipe connected to.  I suppose I could fabricate a tee-section into that cross-pipe, I can fabricate a coolant outlet housing out of aluminium to fit over the coolant outlet pipe of the aftercooler, and I could fabricate the water inlet adaptor too if it came to that, but I would prefer to find the pieces.  No where is the air diffuser for under the aftercooler mentioned in the manual.

So - anyone got some spare parts sitting in their shop?   ;D

Brian

Offline HB of CJ

Rock And A Hard Place
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »
No room for a good inter cooler.  An after cooler may or may not work that well, plus an after cooler may just transfer the heat burden back to the radiator(s).  A properly designed and constructed inter cooler may or may not greatly affect the existing radiators capacity to remove heat.  A rock and a hard place fur sure.  HB of CJ (old coot) :(

Online luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 08:46:35 AM »
Brian,I have a couple at the shop they are the same as a 8v92 when I get home I'll see what we can come up with but I won't be back home till the end of the month I have to wait till salmon season closes in Idaho   ::) those things are fun to catch and good to eat 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 09:07:17 AM »
Thanks, Clifford - I was hoping you would come in one this!  I'll wait till you get back.  I live on one of the better Salmon rivers in Nova Scotia, I have about 100 feet of river bank on one side of my property, the "holes" are apparently up and down stream about a quarter mile.  They do catch and release only on the Salmon here, but you can keep as much trout as you can get.

Brian