Author Topic: Let me out !! (Escape ladder question)  (Read 5480 times)

Offline skipn20

Let me out !! (Escape ladder question)
« on: December 13, 2006, 07:15:08 AM »
Hi Everybody-
Does anyone have a suggesstion about a portable escape ladder (the kind you throw out the window) for the bedroom of a 81 Prevost?  (Looking for a Christmas gift for Mom & Dad's bus)   Thanks! :)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: Let me out !! (Escape ladder question)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 07:22:11 AM »
No experience here, but how old and agile are Mom and Dad?  Could they realistically climb out a relatively small window onto a flimsy chain ladder and climb down safely?  The escape ladders I've seen advertised for homes look pretty iffy to me.

Might be easier for them to just go out feet first and drop to the ground should the need ever arise. The only reason one would do this is fire in the front of the coach, blocking the exit. Maybe a different idea would be to give them a couple combination smoke/co detectors to be installed inside the coach.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 07:25:24 AM »
We bought one for our condo since we live on the second floor that's closer to 3 stories up.  You could get one of these rope ladders and cut it in half with the appropriate hardware (have to fabricate the hardware since the bus wall is much thinner than a house).  Have one in front and one in back.  Also make sure they have good smoke, gas and carbon monoxide alarms. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 10:47:14 AM »
HMMMM

bus on Fire, paniced exit out emergency windo onto a rope/chain ladder.

Having had a fair ammount of rope laddrer experience and still being young and agile, I would say the drop to the ground is going to be faster and safer.....  I have seen people slip and end up hanging upsidedown when their foot slipped to the inside of the ladder.

and it's no picnic removing yourself from that situation even with one persons help.

A broken bone  from a fall will not limit your abilty to roll/crawl away from the burning bus  that much.

I would go woith smoke/CO2 detectors

Offline gus

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 08:22:28 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how many converters block off the rear escape door in older GMCs!!

I passed up a bunch of 4104s and 4106s because they had blocked these doors.

It is also very handy when doing maintenance or conversion work.

A lady in a S&S saw my rear door while we were in an RV park and asked how she could have one installed. I told her to have one cut at floor level by a good RV shop because her bedroom windows were too small and to high for any possible escape except by an acrobat. 
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 09:56:45 PM »
Just a thought, how about a ladder that could pull double duty? When not using it as an escape ladder it could be used for more common ladder needs. I have seen these at trade shows (A lot of home inspectors seem to use them). They are amazing; compact and light. If I didn’t already have a Little Giant I would probably have one of these:

http://www.rewci.com/tellad.html

Watch the video to see how they work.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 03:49:34 AM »
Hi Barry,

We have been using theese ladders in our work trucks now for 6 years.  I'm now replacing a couple of them because

of the sand here at the beach has gotten into the slides and chewed up the mechinisms..

The 12 ft models are what we use and I think camping world is now selling the 10 ft model.

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladders_telesteps.htm

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

JerryH

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 09:40:47 AM »
Skip:

I think its a nice thought and gesture, but like others said ... in a panic situation, the ladder might not be overly practical.  I'd go for speed and a possible broken leg than getting hung up in a ladder or taking too long.

Maybe some BusNuts here could make "bus gift suggestions" -- this maybe a new thread ... "What I'd like under the tree for my Bus."  Price range??

Jerry H.

Hi Everybody-
Does anyone have a suggesstion about a portable escape ladder (the kind you throw out the window) for the bedroom of a 81 Prevost?  (Looking for a Christmas gift for Mom & Dad's bus)   Thanks! :)

Offline Nusa

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 11:49:14 PM »
What I'd like to see for an escape window is a sturdy handle right above the window (on the inside) to hang onto while getting out the window. Hanging out the window, I'd only have 6 feet to drop at worst, and that doesn't scare me.

But if you must have something, I'd recommend a length of large-diameter rope, perhaps with knots tied into in. If you tie a carabiner to the top, it can be quickly clipped onto the handle above the window or left permanently in place. Climbing up a robe can be hard, but climbing down one is far easier. And no real risk of getting your foot tangled on the way down.

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 04:45:59 AM »
How about a landing pad, a self inflating matress or something like an airplane slide.  Or whatever is in the room already.

CO2 Cartridges can inflate things pretty fast.

Maybe a velcro belt to strap a pillow to to your rear.

and a rope as mentioned before might make for a quick exiit.

Just a thought
It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 05:24:22 AM »
It seems to me that the only reason to bail out of the rear window is a fire. 

The second observation is that many folks have some health issues that prevent them from easily getting out of the window.  I have talked to several folks at trade shows who are handicapped (various degrees) and want some sort of protection to let them exit the RV via the normal exit.  They are often quite passionate about their fears.

I am about a month away from introducing an interior fire suppression system.  The design is complete and the manufacturing has started.

I apologize that this is commercial in nature, but I hope that the safety aspect of the subject justifies the stray from policy. 
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 06:41:41 AM »
QUOTE: [I am about a month away from introducing an interior fire suppression system.  The design is complete and the manufacturing has started.

I apologize that this is commercial in nature, but I hope that the safety aspect of the subject justifies the stray from policy.]

Hi Jim,

Now that you let the cat out of the bag.... Are you going to show folks the prototype at Arcadia?

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 09:28:51 AM »
Hi Nick. 

I will have the prototype of the new elecrically (and mechanically) activated valve on display along with the engine and generator fire detection system.  Plus all my other products as well  ;D 

The interior protection system uses this valve and a special temperature detection bulb that is used in NASCAR racing.  I will try to have a sample on hand.

I don't plan to have a fancy booth, rather I will have a table in place and just have a lot of fun talking to folks.  I think that is in keeping with the low-key tone of this great rally!!!

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline gus

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 09:10:44 PM »
An interior fire suppression system is really nice but I want a safe,  easily used exit just in case the fancy system fails!!

The old GMC rear emergency exits are so simple and well placed, whatever happened to simplicity?
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 09:37:29 PM »
An interior fire suppression system is really nice but I want a safe,  easily used exit just in case the fancy system fails!!

The old GMC rear emergency exits are so simple and well placed, whatever happened to simplicity?
I sure liked the one on my 4104. Was great at nignt while sitting out in the desert for some breeze in the bedroom.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal