Author Topic: What should I pay for a good shell  (Read 5713 times)

Offline andy

What should I pay for a good shell
« on: December 15, 2006, 09:07:29 PM »
I've got three salesman looking for a 45' prevost alloy wheels 8V92 automatic trans. Something that doesn't need alot of work,before I start my conversion. The years I'm looking at are 89 - 93.  I have gotten several differant prices I need to ask for your opinions. Are buses that come from the southwest or calif. more expensive?  You all have been in this before I trust your judgement and would like to here your opinions.

belfert

Re: What should I pay for a good shell
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 09:24:15 PM »
What model Prevost would help.  Also, Prevost only started building 45 foot models in 1992 and 1993.

Brian Elfert

Offline andy

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 09:44:31 PM »
Brian that info is good to know concidering one of the salesman told me he found an 89 XL 45'.   lemirage XL.Is what I would like to have.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 10:46:12 PM »
west coach buses do tend to bring a bit of a premium as they are less prone to corrosion do to the low humidity and lack of salt use.

that is not to say you can't find a rust free coach on the east coast.

A 45 footer is going to be the biggest premium you pay.....

belfert

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 07:16:13 AM »
Brian that info is good to know concidering one of the salesman told me he found an 89 XL 45'.   lemirage XL.Is what I would like to have.

I got the information from www.prevostcar.com under About Prevost and then Heritage.  The 1990s section talks about the XL-45 entertainer coming out in 1992 and the H3-45 coming out in 1193.

Brian Elfert

Offline andy

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 07:29:07 AM »
Brian can you or anyone else give me the dates for the rally in Arcadia that David told me about. Also can anybody just throw out what might be a fair price for what I'm looking for. I am going to try hard to make the trip to Fla.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 07:32:13 AM »
Check the previous messages above for "ALL UP COMING RALLYS/SPECIAL EVENTS..Click Here "
Everything you need to know, I believe.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 04:13:44 PM »
Rally is from Friday, December 29 through Monday, January 1, 2007, with early arrivals OK beginning December 26. Rally will be held at the Turner Agri Civic Center.  Jack

Brian can you or anyone else give me the dates for the rally in Arcadia that David told me about. Also can anybody just throw out what might be a fair price for what I'm looking for. I am going to try hard to make the trip to Fla.
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 04:26:32 PM »
Andy,

Brian is correct NOBODY came out with a 45' until late '92 which are actually titled as '93s MCI, Prevost, Setra(regular 93 yr shown as '94s), VanHool ('93/'94) & Eagle all came out pretty much together around then! A 45' coach of any kind in any condition is gonna run you between $50,-$100,000 depending on make, condition, mileage and how bad you want it! FWIW BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline steamguy56

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 05:58:20 PM »
Andy, hope to make Arcadia my bus' debut (1997 prevost 45') may have to sleep between the seats in the isle but hope to be there. B.K. is right on his appraisal, funny story behind mine after making the deal on coach operator wanted to make a few runs untill I take delivery...trainy went out on one of these trips..sooo I got a new transmition (yes I did see the paper work from Allison) a new muffler while they in there for the agreeded upon amount.Operater said the old Le mirage just don't fit in with the 2007s H345's. He was right it stuck out like a sore thumb in that line up, but she really looked good to me. Good luck on your seach hope you find just the right coach
                                                     Danny

Offline Rich (Prevost)

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 03:09:09 PM »
Let me know if you need more "feelers" on coaches. Carl Stevens & Eloy Torres are (2) of my friends who sell coach shells for Prevost and are amazing guys. Have been doing it for a long time. They know where the coaches are & can give you some really good insight......

Rich 

Offline TomC

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 08:25:28 AM »
Starting with MC9 and La Mirage Prevost, all were made with stainless below the window belt.  So on newer buses, rusting should not be a problem.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Slide

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 01:09:31 PM »
One of the most important things to know is, how much $. It seems to me that nobody want's to mention how much stuff costs. It sure would help making a decision if you had an idea of what bus stuff cost. How much for a shell guys?

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 03:46:47 PM »
You can't just ball park a shell price beyond what has been said, a 45 coach is not straying much below $50 000 yet. They are still economically viable to the second or third tier commercial operators.

Price on used commercial equipment is all based on condition.

Chassis mileage - axles, kingpins, steering gear, creaks and rattles
Engine mileage - rebuild costs over $10 000
Transmission - auto more desirable to next commercial operator, stick shift less desirable - effects price
Tires - new ones cost up or down from $400 each and there are a lot of them.
Interior -  fresh one worth more to next commercial operator, a crappy one indicates a bus that has not been maintained.

These items alone put well over a $20 000 spread on the price of two coaches of the same model and year parked next to one another in the same lot.

Call Rich and pay good money for a coach coming out of a reputable fleet, that still has some of the same models. Leave the interior behind for spares as part of the deal. The bus dealers don't want the interior.

Pay up front, you'll be ahead in the long run. Believe us all on that one!

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline pete81eaglefanasty

• smithmotorsports
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 09:20:16 AM »
  It's the same ? as how much a car cost, there are some differences between makes and model and years.what kind of condition it is in and if possible the mileage,It all depends on how much Money you want to spend on a shell and have it in good Mechanical condition when you buy it, or you will have to spend it after you get it.

Pete & Jean
               Fantasy
WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal