Author Topic: Starter battery ?  (Read 13203 times)

Offline luvrbus

Re: Starter battery ?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 08:53:28 AM »
Delco sets a limit on CCA on their starters that is why they have a OP feature on their starters  1 or 20 batteries the 1st battery in a string sets the cold cranking amp Delco says 1250 CCA for the 42 and 1500 CCA for the 50 at 24 volts that is from Delco the newer reduction type starters will handle up to 3000 CCA fwiw so says Delco
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »
I'm gonna go with just 2 of the G31s and use the extra space for a nice battery charger/maintainer. The bus starts so good you don't even hear it turn over before it's running. And I use the preheat even in the summer if I'm hooked up to a pod.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »
Unless you are getting AGM group 31's I don't think it would be a good idea to put a battery charger/ Maintainer in the same compartment as them. A spark or any Gasing may present a big problem. :o

Dave
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 05:18:13 PM »
Unless you are getting AGM group 31's I don't think it would be a good idea to put a battery charger/ Maintainer in the same compartment as them. A spark or any Gasing may present a big problem. :o

Dave

That's a good point Dave. Maybe I'll just replace the 2 little 12V battery tenders that I have now. They're mounted just to the right of the rear electrical panel above the engine and are connected together to deliver 24V at the batteries. So what does someone do with all that open space? LOL

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 05:34:55 PM »
You are fulltimers and have empty space?......that won't last for long!!!!!
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »
Got the new ones in today and she started right up. Seemed a lot more powerful also. I gave them 2 old regular car batteries we had here for the 22.50 core and sold them another for 15.00. So they ended up costing me 35.38 each, SCORE, Lol. I got 36.50 apiece for the old dead 8Ds each and 31.00 each for 6V deep cycles so they sold those to me for 100.00 each US XC 2200 232AH @ 20 rate.
Not a bad day.

PP do you just bolt the +&- wires together on the 12 volt charger maintainers and charge from the ends of each to get 24V. I didn't know you could do that and then plug both units in. Because I have been using 2 chargers and pulling the link between the 2 6volts and the other 6 volts and then charging them up when we are not on the road. I have got to get time to hookup our new Magnum inverter/ charger.

Dave
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

Offline thomasinnv

• Derrick Thomas
  • I may be nuts, but only for buses
Re:
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 07:48:41 AM »
If you are using two 12v maintainers for a 24v bank you would connect a charger to each of the 12v batteries

Sent from my HSG1279 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Some are called, some are sent, some just got up and went.

1998 MCI 102-DL3
Series 60 12.7/Alison B500
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 09:36:48 AM »
Nope have 4-6 volt batteries. In series but don't have my inverter hooked up yet with the charger. So right now I pull the link between the 2 6's and the other two 6's which leave two in each bank for 12 volts. I hook a 12 volt charger up to the neg and pos on the end ones and there is a link between them. Works fine but I have to put the link back on and off for 24 volt or charging.

I thought he said that he used 2 12 volt chargers is series to charge all 4 at once without having to separate them while charging. Was just wondering how that was possible and if you could connect both chargers +- and then use the end +- for 24 volts?...Wishful thinking, lol

As far as open space I don't have much more space than I had with the 8D's. I have a short  2x4 screwed in next to the batteries because they have to go in front to back long ways. So there is about 4 inches on one side and 7 inches behind them or I guess I could shove them back and have some room for battery tools etc.

The Batteries are sealed top lead acid filled so no putting in water but will really have to watch length of charging and always shut off batteries when not in use.

Dave
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

Offline thomasinnv

• Derrick Thomas
  • I may be nuts, but only for buses
Re:
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 06:16:31 AM »
You could do basically the same thing as I stated before with the 4 6v batteries. You have 4 6v batteries all daisy chained together to get 24v. The first 2 batteries are essentially the same as a single 12v battery, same with the second two batteries. Connect one charger to the first pair of batteries (+ on one battery and - on the other) and connect the second charger to the second pair of batteries. Do not connect the chargers to each other. No need to disconnect any cables between any of the batteries. Ive done it this way for years work fine.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Some are called, some are sent, some just got up and went.

1998 MCI 102-DL3
Series 60 12.7/Alison B500
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
Re:
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 06:30:29 AM »
You could do basically the same thing as I stated before with the 4 6v batteries. You have 4 6v batteries all daisy chained together to get 24v. The first 2 batteries are essentially the same as a single 12v battery, same with the second two batteries. Connect one charger to the first pair of batteries (+ on one battery and - on the other) and connect the second charger to the second pair of batteries. Do not connect the chargers to each other. No need to disconnect any cables between any of the batteries. Ive done it this way for years work fine.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cool thanks It is a pain to keep going back and forth pulling the middle cable out. I really just have to get time and install the inverter/ charger.

Dave
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

Offline Oonrahnjay

Re:
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »

I have two Type 31 start batteries.  That's how I connect a trickle charger (about every 2-4 weeks, until it goes to "float"; usually less than 15 minutes).  I've never tried it with the master switch on, only with the battery pair isolated.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »
Hey Dave, sorry I was so long in getting back, we had an electrical storm pass through and I've been busy with fires. Anyway, I agree with ThomasinNV about not hooking the 2 maintainers together to get 24V, but that's the way Marathon or the electrical engineer wired the 2 I have. The electrical engineer was the only owner prior to us and I think he knew what he was doing LOL. I agree with Thomas, I've charged batteries in series like that before by simply connecting the charger to one at a time and not disconnecting anything. Maybe that's why my maintainers don't seem to be working. The wiring goes straight to the master disconnect switch so that if the batteries are connected, the chargers aren't in order to protect them, as well as a fuse inline.
Now get that inverter/charger installed and you won't have to constantly jerryrig everything LOL
Will

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »
I am a little nervous about hooking it up only because this bus has been a wiring nightmare and was all house 12 volt and the original 24 volt bus circuits. I changed to 24 volt and now have to run the 12 volt off the Vanner that I have to test. don't know if it is a working unit or not. The original inverter was burned out when we got it and will hook up the new one when I am sure that all is well. Taking it slowly.
Things like different colored 12 volt wires spliced together every 6 inches and different sizes. Some peoples kids ya know!... :o

Dave
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 10:28:34 AM »
I've hooked two chargers/maintainers together to get 24 volts many times, in fact until I got the Magnum 4024 it was normal for me.  the 12 volt output of most chargers (all of mine but that's a sample of about 5) is fully floating with respect to the 120 volt ac plug, so no issue whatsoever with connecting two together.  What I would do is just connect them to the start batteries leaving the start batteries connected normally, so in effect the positive 12v of one charger is connected to the ground of the other charger.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »
Brian beings we both have 5C, one of my biggest problems is where to put the 4 6volts house bats, and the inverter. Generator is in the old AC bay and just outside in the next bay back on the wall is the transfer switch. Right now the PO put the batteries all the way in the back passenger side engine bay on a rack that holds all 4 in a line by the side door. The old cable went up through the floor along the wall 10 feet through the bedroom and into the closet. That is also where he ran the 120VAC Romex cable to meet the inverter from the transfer switch. I believe this is why the old Freedom 20 burned up for him in the closet because the cable was so long. My start batteries are in the original place on the slide out trays and are not part of my house batteries system. Starts are on off when sitting and I have a converter that charges them when needed or the 24 volt Alt when traveling.

Question to you is if you don't mind telling me, where did you put your house batteries and where is the inverter.

Dave Walker
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal