Author Topic: Kohler Generator Won't Turn, Start, or Run  (Read 7865 times)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Kohler Generator Won't Turn, Start, or Run
« on: July 09, 2014, 06:52:51 PM »
My ancient Kohler L654 has been very easy and reliable over the years.  There is a dash toggle you just flip on, the motor starts, the starter mode disengages automatically, and it runs until you flip the toggle off again.  Now, nothing happens when I flip the switch on. The unit is getting power from the switch and various terminals also seem to be getting power. I can jump some terminals to get it to turn over, and I even got it to start that way once. Of course, it shuts down as soon as the jump is removed.  I know that this is not a lot of useful info, but I thought that I would start this now just in case there is a Kolher genius among us.  I will get a picture of the control panel later.

Fortunately, we are at a campground with electrical hookups up in Idyllwild now and do not need the auxiliary power source.  We have a nice shaded spot and have not used the AC since we got here either.  We will be leaving the bus here and spending the weekdays up here and going home to JT for the weekends.  It's nice to leave the heat behind.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: Kohler Generator Won't Turn, Start, or Run
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 06:57:56 PM »
Lin -  I'd do the simple thing first and chase down all the grounds.  If jumping it works then there is a loose wire somewhere.

Its amazing what comes loose on a bus.  This week I've already rewired 2 loose wires going to gauges and a loose cigarette lighter outlet sleeve that caused a short by coming loose.  I'm sure its a loose wire...

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Online robertglines1

• steam nut
Re: Kohler Generator Won't Turn, Start, or Run
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 07:33:31 PM »
One of the experts will hopefully chime in: My experience would look at bad oil pressure sensor or temp. Also I had a inline fuse in rear junction box that corroded. All = no run signal to motor.  FWIW  Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 07:36:31 PM »
a relay ?
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:47:57 PM »

This is a picture of the control panel.  I am hoping that the problem is there because if it is behind this mounting plate, I will have  to remove the generator to get to it. Of the two black magnetic contactors on the right of the panel, the right one starts it turning and the left one disconnects the start mode once the engine is running.  The two metal boxes on the left, I assume are relays, but I have not gotten the engine started by jumping either yet.

It could be an internal fuse that I can't find or a loose wire but again, if it not visible here I will need to at least partially remove the unit.  It would be nice to have it on slides, but there does not seem to be enough overhead space to lift it at all.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:57:58 AM »
I don't know about your model Lin but my current model the low oil relay went bad and it would do nothing,165 bucks and 15 minutes at Cummins we were back running
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »
Clifford, were the symptoms like mine stopping it from even cranking?

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 11:14:15 AM »
Yes it was it would do nothing the way the tech described it to me you push the switch the relay bypasses the oil sensor and lets the starter part engage,$165 bucks for a part that cost $13.85 but I did get a new air filter $12.40 included in the price  ;D maybe that is why Onans are painted green or gold
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 05:59:18 PM »
Easy fix:

After spending a reasonable amount of time testing this and that, studying an unreadable diagram, and thinking about the problem a good deal, I got the inspiration to start feeling around into the inaccessible crevices behind the control wiring housing.  I soon felt something that seemed like a protruding stick.  When I pushed on it, the generator started; it was a reset button!!

May all of your and my repairs be like this.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »
That's awesome.

However, there's probably a reason that breaker tripped, so it may or may not be fixed. But at least you know where to start if it happens again!

Cool.
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Re:
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 01:28:38 PM »
Shhh!  I was trying to ignore that possibility.

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »
Agree, those 4 cylinder flat head L600/654 Kohlers are very sweet running, however any gasoline/ lp gas version is hard on the fuel budget, ran one in my MC7 for a few years before I built up a diesel, went from .75 gph to .41 gph. I run 24/7 on the generator, so a moe happy setup.
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 04:03:15 PM »
   You found it before I could reply. Our old 12kw kohler had a reset button on back side of control box. Had to roll it out on slides to access it. Btw, make sure it is running up to speed before turning on any loads. It'll do that if you try to start it with ac's on.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal