Author Topic: Continually Blowing my Top - A/C cover  (Read 4943 times)

Offline belfert

Re: Continually Blowing my Top - A/C cover
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 02:29:36 PM »
Yes, that is the website.  They have better quality covers for just about every major brand of rooftop except the full height Carrier.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 03:19:31 PM »
Great information - thanks !!

Kind Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
Re: Re: Continually Blowing my Top - A/C cover
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 07:11:00 AM »
Phil -  we have had a Mach 8 up front on our bus for a year now.  About 8k miles on it and the cover is still solidly on there.

I like the fender washer idea and maybe use bolts with locknuts instead of the screws.

Also - if you take it down to about 75mph instead of 90 it might help keep the pressure down a bit on the AC shroud.  ;)

-Sean

Fulltiming somewhere in the USA
1984 Eagle 10S
www.herdofturtles.org
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 10:21:44 AM »
This is an area that a little preventive maintenance could be of use.  When I coat the roof, I always coat the cowlings also.  UV can just disintegrate fiberglass.  Actually though, it has been a heck of a long time since I recoated the roof or even took a good look at what's going on up there. I better put that on the list.

As mention, fender washers or the more heavy duty alternative suggested would be good too, especially if you see any signs of deterioration. 
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 05:51:11 PM »
OK.  This is a very funny group.   ;D

Can't even IMAGINE our MC9 careening through 106+ degree desert at 95+ MPH.  My stars, the engine would get so hot that the misters would melt and you could cook eggs on the front windshield.  If the bus would stay in one piece.   :o

Seriously though.  Thank you for the posts.  :)  

Lin, great idea on preventative maintenance, and checking out the covers.  Looking for signs of aging.  

Interestingly, the owner of the company that he (guy installing our new Coleman a/c) used to work for - several years up in the Prescott Valley, AZ area, built metal a/c covers due to this very problem.  Fabricated to look like the originals but of course, different material.  They have since gone out of business and as Brian pointed out, we now have ICON as a resource for heavy duty covers.  Really this whole problem area surprises me in that this is such an issue.  I'm learning a lot!

So far, LOVE the Mach 8 - Sean, good to hear positive feedback from you on it.  Its only been out for about a year so you were a very early adopter!     Encouraging news for sure.  Compared to our 10 yr old duo therms,  I almost can't tell when the compressor on the Mach 8 comes on.  Veerrryy smoooooth.  No hesitation from the generator w/ the Mach 8 compressor either.  Even w/ higher BTU. (15k vs. 13.5).

As it is new, I'll try to post again after a few more months on what we think of it.  

Kind Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline Tony LEE

• Photo Albums
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 07:01:29 PM »
Just glue an aluminium angle to the roof each side of the shroud using Sikaflex or similar and then run as many holddown straps over the top as you think necessary. Sikaflex works for sticking solar panel brackets to the roof without using rivets or screws so provided you clean both surfaces properly they will stay stuck.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal