Author Topic: Help installing generator  (Read 6413 times)

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
Help installing generator
« on: July 28, 2014, 02:28:11 PM »
 My bus came with a Power Tech Ultimate generator installed in it ( it only has 250 hours on it  ;D). But of course it is not correctly installed  :o  It is wired and runs  the house electric correctly, but starts off the start batteries, and runs them dead if left running. I am going to wire the generator to it's own battery in the compartment with it. The problem is the generator is not wired to charge any of the batteries while running. There is wires with a plug coming out the back, and a matching plug that was cut out of the rv that the generator came out of, laying on top of the generator. It has a Grey, Yellow, Green, And Blue wire. I was told by "Power Tech" that these were for the remote start in the bus. There is 3 wires coming into the generator compartment that are green, yellow, and black. Could these be for the remote start, and if so how would I wire the 3 wires to the 4 wires?  Also this generator does not have a alternator, and the technician told me a alternator would be about 800 dollars, and I could just hook up a 6 amp charger to charge the battery. Since I want to have the generator charge the house batteries( which are in 2 different compartments) what would be the best way to wire the chargers up?
  The generator wiring diagram is not on their website, since mine has the Caterpillar engine, and not the Kubota one. I have the wiring diagram, that they emailed me, but don't know how to upload it here, since it is in pdf format.

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1

Offline Zeroclearance

Re: Help installing generator
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »
How are you starting the genset now?  Which model and KW?

I'd get a small battery just for your genset and use the 110 volt to charge the small battery charger. 

Then putchase a larger battery charger for the house bank.

You can open the PDF file and print screen the document and paste it to Paint and upload the picture/screenshot.   

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »
Is there some reason you can't add a little lawn tractor alternator?  40 amps would do, you just need a pulley for a belt probably.  On the remote start, I'd just trace out the wires and see where they go.  If it's diesel it probably has a run wire, a glow plug wire and a starter wire, going to solenoids.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 06:24:25 PM »
    Do you have an inverter, acting to supply 120Volt from the house batteries when the generator isn't running and you're not plugged in to "shore power"? 
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline TomC

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 09:36:01 PM »
I disconnected my little alternator from my Powertech generator since it was interfering with the big Delco 300amp alternator. I use the starting batteries for the genset. I also have a jumper solenoid to jump the starting and house batteries. With my Trace inverter that has a 130amp smart charger in it, I use the inverter to charge all batteries when the generator is running. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:41:28 AM »
I disconnected my little alternator from my Powertech generator since it was interfering with the big Delco 300amp alternator. I use the starting batteries for the genset. I also have a jumper solenoid to jump the starting and house batteries. With my Trace inverter that has a 130amp smart charger in it, I use the inverter to charge all batteries when the generator is running. Good Luck, TomC

Would you be interested in selling the little alternator from your Powertech generator?
Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:47:27 AM »
    Do you have an inverter, acting to supply 120Volt from the house batteries when the generator isn't running and you're not plugged in to "shore power"? 

No I don't the bus had a 24 volt inverter in it, but had also been converted to 12 volt. I do have a converter that charges.
Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 01:49:59 AM »
Is there some reason you can't add a little lawn tractor alternator?  40 amps would do, you just need a pulley for a belt probably.  On the remote start, I'd just trace out the wires and see where they go.  If it's diesel it probably has a run wire, a glow plug wire and a starter wire, going to solenoids.

Brian

My Powertech is in a quiet box so Im not sure I will have room to mount a pulley and alternator, but I will look closer.
Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 01:58:44 AM »
How are you starting the genset now?  Which model and KW?

I'd get a small battery just for your genset and use the 110 volt to charge the small battery charger. 

Then putchase a larger battery charger for the house bank.

You can open the PDF file and print screen the document and paste it to Paint and upload the picture/screenshot. 

I can't figure out how to "print screen page" ?

My generator:

Powertech Ultimate
KW 8000
Phase 1
Hertz 60
RPM 1800
Duty Continuous
Serial # CAC 20 DHC6562CST
Model PTS SCST MO
Amps 66
Volts 120
Insulation Class F

It also has the Caterpillar diesel engine

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »

quote author=harleyman_1000 link=topic=27755.msg305610#msg305610 date=1406623647]

No I don't the bus had a 24 volt inverter in it, but had also been converted to 12 volt. I do have a converter that charges.

Brother, you *do* have an electrical mess in that bus, don't you????
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline TomC

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 12:58:55 PM »
The little alternator on my Powertech gen, even though it isn't hooked up, is still working as the belt tensioner. Hence I can't remove it. Good luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline brmax

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 08:07:09 PM »
I have picked up a C-Gen generator with I believe the same Kubota engine, Not positive but have heard same engines from the same plant some painted yellow?. I have a pile of wires for a future project to sort but anyhow I tried to see the alternator no. but tag is to far gone but did notice a ND stamping and take that as nipondenso, ( possibly call a tractor salvage yard). as 800.00 is gold money in my book and way out of line . Do you have a picture of that Gen.
When the gen is running it is not charging the start batteries, and they have a draw from some items in the bus that is not wired thru your whatever the generator is powering - inverter, house bats, etc.. I think im on the same page with ya.
I need a new one but a digital volt ohm meter " having min - max readings" capability is super and especially walking a 40'bus, and or a helper watching the readings while testing each of the possible gen start wires when in the bus buttons or whatever you might have for remote switches are operated.
Im working another project now but am very interested in your wiring as mine is I think very much the same yet everything was cut.
You say you received a customer wiring pdf, that would show several things like motor items. Some don't put to much other because all bus builders are different or use other brands.
Good Day
1992 MC9
6V92
Allison

Offline AndyG

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 09:08:16 PM »
The manual with my Power Tech has wiring diagrams in it. Get the manual for your generator and use the diagrams to connect it properly.  You can ask robertglines what happens to a coach which is not wired properly.

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »
The manual with my Power Tech has wiring diagrams in it. Get the manual for your generator and use the diagrams to connect it properly.  You can ask robertglines what happens to a coach which is not wired properly.

Thank you, I am trying to get the manual. My generator is wired correctly to run everything in the coach, but doesn't have a alternator, and the remote start wired up.
Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 09:30:41 AM »
I have picked up a C-Gen generator with I believe the same Kubota engine, Not positive but have heard same engines from the same plant some painted yellow?. I have a pile of wires for a future project to sort but anyhow I tried to see the alternator no. but tag is to far gone but did notice a ND stamping and take that as nipondenso, ( possibly call a tractor salvage yard). as 800.00 is gold money in my book and way out of line . Do you have a picture of that Gen.
When the gen is running it is not charging the start batteries, and they have a draw from some items in the bus that is not wired thru your whatever the generator is powering - inverter, house bats, etc.. I think im on the same page with ya.
I need a new one but a digital volt ohm meter " having min - max readings" capability is super and especially walking a 40'bus, and or a helper watching the readings while testing each of the possible gen start wires when in the bus buttons or whatever you might have for remote switches are operated.
Im working another project now but am very interested in your wiring as mine is I think very much the same yet everything was cut.
You say you received a customer wiring pdf, that would show several things like motor items. Some don't put to much other because all bus builders are different or use other brands.
Good Day

My generator has the Caterpillar engine in it. Powertech made generators with both the Catapillar and Kubota engines.
Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal