Author Topic: Need some help planning my route from Florida to Texas  (Read 13023 times)

HighTechRedneck

Re: Need some help planning my route from Florida to Texas
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 03:25:48 PM »
Scott, as someone who lives in the South and has traveled most parts of the country, including the South, my observation is that it is no more dangerous or less dangerous than any other part of the country.  As long as you follow the same common sense safety precautions as you would elsewhere, you will do just fine.  I have traveled I-10, I-20, I-40, several north/south interstates, and many 2-lane highways in the South and never had a problem.

The South holds many great scenic and historic experiences.  Take your time, enjoy the trip, trust your instincts, and follow the same safety precautions you would anywhere else.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 03:30:27 PM »
Wow really? Ok lets change race to NRA and MSNBC to Fox....I happens everywhere...man.

Scott I'm very sorry about hijacking your post as I said race should have been left out....you seem like nice guy, but you also seem to be aware that race bias is hurtful as you stated. when comes down to it I'm on your side.

Stay on State hiways or the Interstates less clearance issues and bad road conditions as for "people" your on you own....but I got your back. peace!

You need to go back and reread the original post. Nowhere in that post did he mention anything about any particular race, be it white, black, yellow or green. He mentioned some specific southern states that he felt uncomfortable in, though he didn't elaborate on why. It was you who jumped on the race band wagon and accused him of purporting racism. And, just so you know. falsely accusing someone of racism because you want it to be racism is in itself racism.

Maybe you should drop the race thing and get on with the discussion of buses, or go somewhere where there is a legitimate race fight. There isn't one here. Nor is there a 2nd Amendment fight here. Let's keep it that way. This site is about buses.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 03:31:31 PM »
It was back in the late 60's through the early 80's I never had a problem with my shot guns. It"s no big deal if you want a gun in Mexico our DOJ and Holder here in the USA will ship one to you ::)

Clifford, I definitely wouldn't try it now. In recent years they have taken a very hard stance against tourists with guns.  There is a former Marine rotting in a jail cell in Mexico for crossing the border with a gun.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 03:36:46 PM »
As a suggestion to Scott, if you mark your route and publicize it here (the image you posted was less pretty small to be seen and didn't seem to enlarge any), you might find that there are busnuts along the way who would be happy to invite you to stay with them as your travel across the country. I know of a few people along your route that would welcome you if you were in the area.
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 03:50:22 PM »

There isn't one [race fight] here. Nor is there a 2nd Amendment fight here. Let's keep it that way. This site is about buses.

Truer words never said, this forum has members of every ethnicity and social background, and although there have been disagreements on the forum, there has never been an issue of race.  Let's stick to being helpful and friendly.  We are all family here - a bus nut family.

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 04:23:50 PM »
This is good info! I'm logging some of this down because I'm excited to experience the southern culture. Sorry the thread got a little mixed up. I promise I wasn't trying to start anything.  :-\   We are staying for 6 months in Keene btw starting in January. I'm wanting to meet some Texas nuts there.... :)
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 04:56:03 PM »
St.Andrews stare park at Panama City Beech++++  Topsail hill at Destin ++++ Henderson Beach at Destin +++ all state parks in Florida.. Gulf Shores Ala great.  Expect low 30's in Jan (nite) warms nice during day.   Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 07:56:56 PM »
We get in that part of Texas in the late spring,my sister in law still lives in Alvarado after the death of brother and I have a nephew that lives in Eagn so now why are you parking in Keene  ::)are you staying at the RV Ranch there ?
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline shelled

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2014, 12:54:00 AM »
Scott,

A few thoughts from a native...

I35 defines the change from east Texas weather to west Texas weather.  On the west side, weather is much more dramatic from icy blue northers in the winter to tornados in the spring and early summer.  Winter in this part of Texas used to last from mid-January to mid-February but with global warming has been extending a month earlier and later.  If you are here for 6 months, you will miss the serious heat the starts in July and tends to be several degrees F hotter on the west side.

Coming from the east, hitting I35 any farther north than Hillsboro on your way in is a BIG mistake.  This means do not come from the east on I20.  I35 splits just out of Hillsboro and the west branch will take you straight into Keene.  I have not been on this section of 35 recently so hopefully someone else can chime in regarding highway construction on this road.

Welcome to Texas !
Rampside/UltraVan/Excalibur/4104/4107/etc -- Dallas Tx

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 07:13:34 AM »
 I wish I could add my 2 cents worth, but thanks to my buses fuel mileage, I only have a penny ::)
Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal