Author Topic: People Can Do Dumb Things  (Read 6861 times)

Online luvrbus

People Can Do Dumb Things
« on: August 23, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »
I got a call about a fellow bus owners wife telling me he was taken to the hospital I asked for what she laughed and said let him tell you.To make a long story short his bus AC had a leak he stopped by to borrow a leak detector.

I ask him what he wanted as I have 2 different types so he took my Halide which is propane and changes colors when freon is present.

I drive down to visit him at the medical center go to room he has 1st degree burns over about 80 percent of his face I thought omg my leak detector blew up, he started laughing and told me the story.

To save money he filled his system with propane 20 lbs of the stuff to find the leak ran the system to get the pressure up then takes my propane leak detector with a flame looking for a leak needless to say the leak found him.I ask where in the hell did you come up with this idea he laughed and said on the internet there is a YouTube video showing a guy using propane for freon looking for a leak .

I said a video of someone filling a system with propane and using a flame to find a leak that is crazy, he told me well I sorta of added looking for the leak with your Halide.

He told me to tell you guys pay the ac man that knows what he is doing and watch the Internet fixes he approved this message with no eye brows,burns and 4 stitches in his head where he banged it on the door. He is ok I drove him home and Shelly his wife meet us at gate shaking her head and laughing  :-X      
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
Re: People Can Do Dumb Things
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 05:15:07 PM »
Was he trying to win the Darwin award?

Glad to hear he wasn't hurt too badly.

We had a guy in our town that tried to unclog his sewer line by pressurizing it with propane.  Didn't work, but it blew the bathroom off the back of the house :o :o

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:52:36 PM »
I am sorry for the guy but that is hilarious!

TOM
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline georgemci102a2

• 1988 MCI
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:10:31 PM »
Glad to hear that he will be ok.I think pumping in some freon, pushing it with nitrogen and using the sniffer to get the general area    and then use soap and water to find the exact spot/leak might be better and possibly safer  ;D...George.
1988 mci 102a2/6v92ta/Grovetown,Ga.

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »
   He must have had a ginormous leak to cause that.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 06:35:08 PM »
   He must have had a ginormous leak to cause that.

Not really, propane is heavy and if he took a while finding it ...
well a little goes a long way.... ::) ??? ::)
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Online luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 07:42:44 PM »
Wasn't that bad of leak it was on a solenoid and it sprayed him in the face like a torch he has a burn on his hand where he smothered the flame to keep from burning his Prevo up he said it was about 70 psi in that area.

He called and said he owed me a hose that burnt plus he had a free 30lb propane bottle for me, he will be miserable for a few days  ::)    

Offline Jriddle

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 09:05:30 PM »
LMAO

I sure he didn't think it was so dumb until he had a problem. Funny how that is  ???

John
John Riddle
Townsend MT
1984 MC9

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 05:31:10 AM »
LMAO

I sure he didn't think it was so dumb until he had a problem. Funny how that is  ???
John

I don't even want to go there! I could write a book on things I've done that were beyond stupid .... but it looked like the right thing to do at the time! After I did it, I would think, "WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!  HOW did I even GET here!!!!"

Some of those situations turned into funny stories later; some of them I'm still trying to block out of my memory!

TOM
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Online luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 05:55:59 AM »
I thought he was yanking my chain about the video till I found one on YouTube a guy filled the system checking for stoppage looks to be shop.

The guy making the video was concern about releasing the propane into the atmosphere so he had a Coleman camping stove by the vehicle burning it as he released the propane, stupid a guy would make a video doing that.I tried to post a link but gave up lol it is out there       

Offline muldoonman

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 06:30:39 AM »
That's a Duh with a capital D. But, I've done stupider things. Hope he's okay.

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 10:53:59 AM »
...But, I've done stupider things. Hope he's okay.

I expect we all have.  How does that go?  --- Good decisions come from experience, and experience mostly comes from bad decisions.

We just hope we get to make enough bad decisions without killing ourselves first so that we can get to the point where we can make good decisions.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Online luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 11:51:48 AM »
One has to try before it becomes dumb ;D,Bob and I reversed the curve on a awning arm I was told it was stupid to even try by the manufacture Bob said we can do this and we did

Offline harleyman_1000

• My bus
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »
 There is always a silver lining to every situation. He won't have to shave his face today  ::)
 Glad he is ok.
Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 02:06:02 PM »
Well now wait a minute. Thinking like a busnut, I'm seeing opportunity here. Think about it. The bus A/C holds 24 lbs of freon. So that's something like 10 gallons of propane.
So, if I were to put a quick disconnect on my A/C line in the bus, I could, in theory, hook up my camping stove and cook breakfast right there next to the bus! No need for
installing those dang tanks. No need for cutting holes in my floor and door for venting. The propane keeps me cool going down the road, and feeds me when I'm hungry!

Hmmm...  :o
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal