Author Topic: I know… I know... I am a rookie  (Read 8145 times)

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
I know… I know... I am a rookie
« on: August 28, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
Ran Prince's bus out of fuel in front of my house. There's a slight chance that I have an algae problem but I thought that I had plenty of time to get it refueled.

So two questions, there are fuel tanks on both sides of the bus and I have no idea if they both run the engine or if one is for the genset. Any clarity out there for me?

Also, is the series 60 any different to re prime? Take off the filter, fill it and start cranking or is there a built in pump on these things for repriming?

94 Prevost Marathon. Be gentle guys I know it was a rookie move.

Rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline belfert

Re: I know… I know... I am a rookie
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »
The primary filter on my Series 60 is a Racor with a built-in priming button.  When I ran out of fuel I refilled the secondary filter and then had my friend prime with the button while I cranked from the rear start switch.  It started up fairly easily.  My friend did have to keep pumping for 15 to 30 seconds to keep it running smooth until the air purged itself out.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 04:55:11 PM »
one tank for both on my 98 XLE 250 gal capacity fills from both sides.  5 Gal not going to budge it. Good luck.  Bob  PS. gen intake is set higher in tank so you still have engine fuel supply when you get low.  Unless someone switched hoses.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 05:12:39 PM »
Just call ole Symbol Man up and ask him. I'm sure he probably knows the answer to all those questions. He seems like a busnut kind of guy to me!   ::)
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline RickB

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 05:13:57 PM »
Talked to Marathon. They recommended ether. I'm going to do my best to avoid that idea. This thing could probably use new filters anyway. I'll reprime the filters and crank it a few times if it doesn't start I'll have to find another solution. There's a lot of gremlins in this old girl. She needs to be taken out and run for a couple days straight. The tech said that I have 12 gallons once the lo fuel light comes on and stays. It blinked a half dozen times but the fuel gauge read almost a quarter tank on certain slopes and as low as an eighth on others. Sure hoping it's not algae or something else serious.

Glad it's not mine.

Has anybody out there driven a mid 90's Marathon conversion? I can't believe how hard this thing is to stop. I don't know if it's a brake issue or a weight issue. The guys at C and J said this thing is 20k lbs heavier than mine. Maybe it's just the extra weight but it sure takes a lot longer to stop than my MCI

Offline RickB

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:15:49 PM »
Be nice Gumpster or I'll talk you into coming and helping me… By the way we're in Plymouth now. Moved back to the cities. The kids were sucking air out in the boonies and we wanted to do what's best for them.

RB

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 05:19:24 PM »
Be nice Gumpster or I'll talk you into coming and helping me… By the way we're in Plymouth now. Moved back to the cities. The kids were sucking air out in the boonies and we wanted to do what's best for them.

RB

Yeah, I know. But you only call when you need something. :-)
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:21:04 PM »
there is a drain on bottom of tank . closer to curb side.  On main tank but it should drain aux also.  Is that coach brake pre disc on tag and steer? Bob

Offline RickB

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 05:23:34 PM »
Bob, what do you do with the drain? Is that to purge the air in the lines when you run it out of fuel?

I'm under the impression that they are all disc's but I haven't looked.

Offline RickB

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 05:24:38 PM »
Craig, that's because of the dude I work for. He's a bit… strange and needy too… lol

RB

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 05:35:34 PM »
You have 2 filters or 1 ? they came with the Fuel/Pro or the secondary and primary filters
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 06:54:21 PM »
plug on bottom drains tank if you want to get crud out. Need a catch pan but suck as much out as you can before hand.  Was thinking if it were near empty now might be good time.  Really don't think your going to get much unless someone has been unlucky getting bad fuel. 

Offline RickB

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 08:57:15 PM »
Clifford, two filters but the folks at Marathon said there should be a clear separator on the bottom of the primary and I don't see that anywhere. Funny you give them the bus number and they can tell you everything about the bus in it's original layout. Pretty cool feed back.

Robert, the bus was sitting for a number of years (4 or 5) so that's why I was wondering about the potential for algae

There is still a fair chance that this is something else. I'm having some voltage surging issues that should've been fixed when Cand J replaced the voltage regulator. The tach, water temp and a couple other gauges are surging pretty bad. I lost power on the way home and it kinda righted itself. It did it a couple more times and I just assumed it was out of fuel but truthfully according to Marathon I should've had plenty of fuel because the fuel light was not even close to staying on. It had just blinked a half dozen times  on the way home. I guess we'll get a better idea tomorrow. Hope it don't rain. Especially "purple" rain. Sorry, couldn't help myself

RB

Offline Scott Crosby

• Bus Grease Monkey Forum
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 04:13:29 AM »
My bus can easily loose prime on the fuel filters due to fuel starvation with anywhere near 1/4 tank of fuel.  My pickup is all the way on the passenger side and if a road banks to the left at a good angle for too long I suck air and loose prime.    For that reason I try to always keep it 1/2 full or more. 
61 GM Fishbowl TDH 4516 102" 35'
1947 GM PD 3751
www.busgreasemonkey.com

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 05:47:57 AM »
Electrical has come into question???  Maybe not fuel?  pump is mounted curd side of engine.  with line coming from tank and going out toward rear of block (discharge)  if you crack that fitting you should have fuel.  Electrical problem ck ign relay in compartment just below ticket window drivers side or ign  switch.  Food for thought.   Bob

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 06:27:51 AM »
Yea a lot people did away with the water separator and just used regular filters

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 07:06:21 AM »
Rick - Craig needs something to do anyway - so I'd just give him a call and request he bring a couple 5 gallon cans of diesel along. 

On the electrical thing - did you check grounds for the dash and the engine computer?

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »
Rick - Craig needs something to do anyway - so I'd just give him a call and request he bring a couple 5 gallon cans of diesel along. 

Wow, friends are getting fewer and farther in between on this board!  :P
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline RickB

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 10:18:14 AM »
Since basically everyone is saying that we need to put at least 100 gallons in to reprise this thing I'm thinking I know what I'm doing the rest of the day. Oh Happy Day!!! Shoot me now.

RB

Offline muldoonman

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »
Rick, holler at a service truck that repairs/services roadside equipment, save a ton of trips. Most have tanks in back of there trucks.  Don't ask me how I know about this little tidbit.

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 12:17:14 PM »
Rick - Pay for coachnet and then call them up to come and service your bus.  tell them you ran out of fuel.  They will send a truck and fuel and prime the engine for you.  Might cost you 200-250$ for a year of service but you'll have it on your bus its transferable to your car and youll get some time back.

-Sean
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 12:42:10 PM »
   Is either one of the filters low on fuel or empty? Many times they will plug up from sitting awhile and then run a distance. Did it start running rough and then died or power went down drastically, or it just wouldn't start (fire up) after a normal run and shutdown?
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 07:38:32 PM »
I don't know on the Prevost, but on our MCI with a S60, we have an electric priming pump. If that ever happens, I just hit the switch for a while. Then it starts right up. Never had more then a cough, when changing filters.

It is at least worth a look.
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline RickB

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 07:02:42 AM »
Got the old girl running again. Bob you may be able to help with this. Did Marathon put a sensor on this thing somewhere that senses water in the fuel? A light came on the dash that seemed to be implying there was water in the fuel.

Never heard of such a thing but it would be a cool warning if it was.

RB

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 07:10:25 AM »
Yea the water separator has a sensor on the base my wife's little Trek has that as most diesel car and trucks do,fwiw that was Prevost not Marathon, and that is a Racor if you need a filter it should have a T handle on top to remove the filter

Offline RickB

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 10:21:25 AM »
I'm not finding the racer anywhere. I have a fuel pro on my bus so I know what I'm looking for. It has a primary (which I replaced) and a secondary both mounted on the passenger side of the block. There must be racer somewhere on this thing but I sure can't find it. Can't believe the power this thing has. Somebody's gonna get a great deal on a bus.

RB

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal