Author Topic: smooth molding sources  (Read 1274 times)

Offline oldfordlover36

smooth molding sources
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:42:38 PM »
Hi I would like to replace the rubber covered side moldings on my 102c3 with a slimmer smooth molding I keep seeing on bus conversions but am wonder where can I get some from.  Also anyone ever use the $300 spray foam kits like sold at menards and Lowes?  Thanks in advance!

Offline Raymond smith

Re: smooth molding sources
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 03:33:45 PM »
I looked into the foam kits. They are for sealing small areas. Would take many kits to do a whole bus. Raymond
1957 4104-3632 & 1989 mci 102c3

If it doesn`t fit properly the first time, Get a bigger hammer

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 09:06:30 PM »
Hi oldfordlover36,

I used aluminum Eagle moldings on my 102c3 when I reskinned it. It's a neat look!

I purchaced the moldings from IBP, (international bus products) out of Alpopka Fl.

Good Luck
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 07:32:52 AM »
  I looked into the foam kits. They are for sealing small areas. Would take many kits to do a whole bus. Raymond 

I don't have a good picture of what the OP is trying to accomplish, but -- for insulation -- if you have access to rectangular, flat areas, one thing that works will in many instances is "high-R-Value" foam insulation board.  Cut it to fit (and, if possible, select a thickness that fairly well fills the depth of the cavity that you're insulating) and "glue" in place with one of the foam spray cans, then fill the voids around the sides or places that the foam can't fit well into with spray.  My bus tends to have the body panels "oil can" -- make rattly noises -- going down the road, so I put a dollop of the spray on the insulation just before I install the body panels; I press them into place to spread out the foam, that is a further glue-in-place step that makes the whole sandwich of frame - insulation - body panel into a more rigid combination. 
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline oldfordlover36

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 11:03:57 PM »
Thanks Nick for the reference to get the molding I looked on your site just what I am looking for.  So what did u use to insulate your bus?  Is the chrome bubble wrap the only insulation?  If so what is it exactly?  Btw    nice bus!

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 08:30:29 AM »
Thanks Nick for the reference to get the molding I looked on your site just what I am looking for.  So what did u use to insulate your bus?  Is the chrome bubble wrap the only insulation?  If so what is it exactly?  Btw    nice bus!

Hey Thanks!

I used 2" fiberglass insulation, then FBBF. (foil, bubble, bubble,foil) insulation.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com