Author Topic: Dreamscape - Emergency - No Air Pressure, stuck in Palm Springs  (Read 11474 times)

Dreamscape

Dreamscape - Emergency - No Air Pressure, stuck in Palm Springs
« on: December 21, 2006, 09:32:57 AM »
Need help, please!  Please call Paul  on cell 323-559-1497

Heard clicking noise on electrical panel by driver.  Air pressure started to fall. 

Which air tank can I hookup to air up the system with an axilluary air compressor?

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: Dreamscape - Emergency - No Air Pressure, stuck in Palm Springs
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 09:49:45 AM »
Paul,

I wish I knew about Eagles or I'd be on the phone with you now...

Come on Members, Anyone near Palm Springs or know Eagles?

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Stan

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 10:26:24 AM »
Was the bus still at full air pressure when the clicking started or was this the low pressure alarm coming on?

What happens if you run the engine now? Is the clicking noise related to a solenoid valve opening and dumping air?  Can you hear where the air is leaking?

You have to help us to help you.

Offline Charles Seaton

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 10:54:20 AM »
Don't know Eagles, but with one of my old GMs clicking noise and falling air pressure added up to failed compressor.

Dreamscape

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 12:33:04 PM »
Paul does not have computer with him.  This is Becky, posting for him.  He has received a couple helpful phone calls.  We will let you know the outcome.

Thank you!
Becky

Paul,

I wish I knew about Eagles or I'd be on the phone with you now...

Come on Members, Anyone near Palm Springs or know Eagles?

Dreamscape

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 02:37:31 PM »
The solenoid clicking noise meant that I was low on air.  With the help of Pete and Sonny I was able to hook up the auxillary air compressor and aired up the bus and was able to move it out of harms way.  The air compressor on the engine produces absolutely no air.  Sonny was able to help me by pointing out that the governor is probably bad.  Called a truck mobile service and driver is on his way.  I hope he is able to fix it and get me back on the road.  Thank you everyone for your help.  I will keep you informed.

Paul (by Becky)

Offline larryh

• 4905A-893 P8M
  • ready to run with the big dogs
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 03:14:17 PM »
Paul if it's a D2 governor you Need I can remove one from my bus or my truck and bring to you I'm only about 125 miles from you can be there in less than two hours.

LarryH
Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,

Dreamscape

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 04:39:47 PM »
problem not solved, was not the governer.  Does anyone know the part number for the compressor, DD8V71 engine? 
Paul

Offline larryh

• 4905A-893 P8M
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 05:04:48 PM »
air compressor gm number

LarryH
Savvy ponderable:
havin' ta walk,
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,

Offline dickegler

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 05:07:51 PM »
Sorry for your problems   i lost air coming down cascades a few years ago.  not fun

my problem turned out to be the coupler between the engine and compressor.   it was a phenolic material that stripped out.  solution was to replace with steel coupler.   did it in the safeway parking lot

once when moving a bus that wouldn't air up, i used a 20#  co2 bottle for an emergency fix

hope it helps a little

dickegler
dick egler  atlanta, in  92 prevost/beaver conversion, N5333L

Offline larryh

• 4905A-893 P8M
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 05:49:24 PM »
Paul

If you got another air compressor on board can you run it off your generator/inverter anything to run it with hook it into air system where convenient and get on the road.

If your heading East toward Texas on I10 you have no downgrades in front of you toward Phoenix there is a freightliner dealer visable from I10 as your getting into Phoenix real convienent location.

HTH

LarryH
Savvy ponderable:
havin' ta walk,

Quartzsite,

Offline Hartley

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 06:47:12 PM »
Isn't that compressor a Bendix tu-Flow 700 series.

with integrated water cooling jacket and oil feed lines and bolted to back of accessory drive on your 8V71

If it is then there are quite a few out there that fit the detroit accessory mounts.

On the other hand you may have just sheared the drive pin on the compressor shaft.
They can wear out, Just hope the shards didn't fall down the accessory housing.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Dreamscape

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 09:12:10 AM »
UPDATE: 

Paul is still in Palm Springs, but 2 good samaritians (happened to be in truck repair vehicle) stopped this morning to see if they could help.  Paul had already pulled air compressor and it was bad.  They took it back to their shop in Fontana, locate one to replace it and bring it back to him.  He will install it himself and hopes to be on the road by early afternoon.  By the way, the coupling was in excellent condition.  I will post once he is once again on the road!

Paul sends his sincere thanks to all who responded and/or called him!  You guys are THE BEST! 

Thank you,
Becky, on behalf of Paul

Offline larryh

• 4905A-893 P8M
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 07:23:59 PM »
Becky it's Friday evening at 8:25 did Paul get on the road anything I can do to help if he's still stuck??

LarryH
Savvy ponderable:
havin' ta walk,

Quartzsite,

Offline John E. Smith

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 08:21:32 PM »
Becky it's Friday evening at 8:25 did Paul get on the road anything I can do to help if he's still stuck??

LarryH
I just got off the phone with Paul as of 10:15 PM central time.  One of our guys (named Clifford) who lives in Laughlin, Nevada is leaving in the morning with an Eagle compressor for Paul.  Paul is about a half mile away from the Flying J truck stop (on I-10 & Ramon Blvd); I gave him instructions on how to back off the Maxi brakes temporarily in case he absolutely has to move.  He has a small contractor's type air compressor that will give him enough air for brake application, but not enough to keep the maxi's from locking up.  If Clifford's compressor does the trick, Paul should be on the move by tomorrow afternoon sometime.

One point that this brings up that all of you Eagle owners should remember.  There is a difference in compressors between the Eagles and any other bus/ truck.  The intake & discharge ports on the compressor for the Eagle are on the opposite side of the compressor than those spec'ed for trucks.  You can usually make a truck compressor work on an Eagle in a pinch, but you have to re-route your air lines to do it.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that Paul has help on the way.  I told him, though, that if that didn't work out to call me tomorrow and I would get him in touch with Jefferson Truck Parts in OKC.  We do a lot with them, and they are a good source of compressors for Eagles -- and they ship fast when they need to.
John E. Smith

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal