Author Topic: Well, so far, this trip suck!  (Read 13993 times)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Well, so far, this trip suck!
« on: December 23, 2006, 06:48:09 PM »
We left home yesterday about noon. Waited a bit so the roads would clear off from the previous days storm across the midwest.

Somewhere down around the southern part of MN, I noticed my camera had become covered with spray. Thought it kind of odd, since the roads had been mostly dry. Didn't think much about it, though.

Around Sioux City, I noticed my fuel gauge was down close to half. Thought that was kind of odd, since I'd only driven 300 miles on that tank, so far. Thought the MPG seemed a bit low.

Then down around Winnebago, NE, I noticed the gauge was well below 1/2.  Ok, time to check the engine compartment. I pulled into a small place along the road and walked back. Horrors! I was dumping liquid gold onto the ground by the buckets full!!  Fuel was pouring out of the new fuel manifold I had just installed! The gauge I had put on had eaten itself. It literally disintegrated and fuel was coming out of the gauge body!

I shut off the bus and assessed the situation. It's 8:30 pm in a small Indian town in the middle of nowhere. Obviously I'm not going to get much help here. The engine compartment, back of the bus, and the toad are covered in diesel. I pull the gauge off the mainifold, and search for a 1/4" plug I was sure I had put in the bus. Nope. Can't find it. So, I look around at what I have with me, and see a drain plug in my little Harbor Freight air compressor. It's a perfect fit. A little teflon tape to cure the small leak, 15 minutes and I'm back on the road.

I figure I dumped 50 gallons on the road.

So, I go fill up and head on down the road.

Not 30 miles down the road, I look down at my gps map for an instant. When I look up, there are two deer walking across my lane, not 50 feet in front of me.  I didn't even have time to cuss. My foot hit the break, but there wasn't time for the air to even get to the diaphram. I got them both! 60 miles per hour!  One took out the left side headlight assembly. Dented in the corner panel. The other one must have just grazed it's head. Teri was following me in the pickup, and said it got up and ran off. I'm pretty sure the one didn't run off cause there's deer hair in my bumper.

The High Beam bulb is still in, and works, but shines down on the ground right in front of me. I lost the low beam bulb and the ring is gone. I might be able to salvage the can, but the corner panel is creased. So, now, I need a left corner panel and headlight assembly. Anyone have one left over from smooth siding their bus?  Maybe someone coming to Arcadia?

Found a wash today and cleaned up all the diesel fuel. Bought a bulb. Going to try to put it in place of the high beam, so at least there will be a light on that side and I won't get stopped.

If my luck don't change soon, I'm going home!

I'll try to post photo of the damage tomorrow. I spent today trying to get this piece of crap computer to work. Finally found the right magic and the hotel has wireless.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Christyhicks

• 1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL
Re: Well, so far, this trip suck!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 07:01:45 PM »
So, are you trying to steal our thunder?  ??? 

Usually that kind of crap happens only us!  ha ha.  ;D

Boy, I sure hope that I've passed our mantle of "you're not going to believe what just happened" to you and our trip will be totally uneventful! ;)

Sure sorry to hear that you're chasing down innocent deer like that!  Poor thing is probably sitting around the campfire talking to his other deer friends, comparing wounds.  Yep, I can just hear him now, "See this here?  This missing patch of hair?  Got me an MCI today!"  ;D

Hopefully, this is the end of your excitement and the rest of your trip is boring and lacking in any excitement at all.   I, of all people, am keeping my fingers crossed for you! Christy Hicks
If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 07:03:45 PM »
gumpy, sorry you are having such a bad go of it. Remember the deer had a worse day ;D

Hope things turn around and it gets better.

Happy Holidays.

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 07:04:09 PM »
Hey Craig sorry to hear about yer troubles! But hey look at the good side, all the bad things have happened so now you can enjoy the rest of the trip! BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 07:06:33 PM »
Sorry to hear about the bus damage - too bad you didn't get both the deer.  With the increased restrictions on gun ownership and decline in social acceptability of hunting up here deer have become a serious problem.  I call them long-legged ditch rats.  

We hit a bear cub this fall at about 40 mph - just rolled him off into the ditch and took out the curb side driving light.  Bent the bumper ever so slightly - a little strong arm adjustment put it back in place and a replacement seal beam put everything back to rights.

Hope the rest of the trip goes better & that you don't get charged for environmental contamination.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 07:20:17 PM »
I am amazed at your resourcefullness. I do hope your trip gets better 'cause I want to meet you in Arcadia. I'll be there on Fri & Sat.
Sorry, no bus, just me & another 4501 nut.

Bummer about the deer. Looks like motor vehicles are currently the major predators of them.

Are you going to build a bar guard for the front now? (like they require in Australia)

Good luck for the rest of the trip!
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

JerryH

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 07:23:37 PM »
Craig:

I am sorry about the diesel and deer mishaps.
Holy crap ... that sucks.  Thankfully you are resourceful and a very positive and upbeat person.
We WILL see you in Arcadia Craig!!  :D

Jerry H.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 07:25:35 PM »
Hi Craig,

Sorry to hear about your troubles!  It could have been worse... [the bright side of course]

Hope the rest of your journey is uneventful!   Looking forward to meeting you.

We will be waiting for you.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 07:31:36 PM »
Craig, do you have the OEM MC9 headlights?  I'll look at your website and see what your headlights look like.   I just tossed both front corners off my MC9 into the dumpster.  I'll see if I can find them tomorrow.   Dumpster is only half full....still a lot of crap.  The stainless was not the best after removal, but the headlights were complete on one side..I gave the other bezel and headlights to someone two years ago.  Both buckets and one bezel is in the dumpster somewhere.  
Every time I clean up, something is discarded that could have been used!   I'll let you know the outcome thru the day tomorrow.  
We're headed to Arcadia on Wednesday...hope to make the trip in one day...easy to do IF no problems.
Hope your travels become friendlier!  JR
BTW, if anyone has these parts, post soon so that I don't to go "dumpster diving" for no reason.

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 08:21:47 PM »
Craig, do you have the OEM MC9 headlights?  

Yes, oem.  Round headlights and all.

Man, if you could find them, that would be awesome. Hire a local teen to dive for them and I'll send a few bucks back to him for his effort. If the stainless is remotely straight, I'd really like them, also. This one is probably not salvagable, as it's creased. I also need the ring that holds the headlight in place, and the assiciated springs and adjustment screws, if possible. The bezel was crushed, too, and will probably be unusable as well.

If it's too much trouble to dig them out, don't worry about it. I figure I can find them somewhere.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering how they looked just before I hit them.....

They looked like deer in the headlights!  :D

Da dum!!

You know, I been kind of pissy all day cause of this. I finally got the connection up and now, I'm feeling much better after talking to my friends. The family's wondering why I'm in the bus, and not in the hotel room with them.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Chariotdriver

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 08:51:25 PM »
  That  deer backstrap back on the pavement would have softened the day a little as it was already tenderized.
 MMMMMMM good!
Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS

JerryH

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 08:54:02 PM »
The family's wondering why I'm in the bus, and not in the hotel room with them.

Craig,

Why you staying in a hotel??

Here are some deer related ("caught in headlights") comics to hopefully bring a smile...
Clearly they weren't wearin' their deer shades ... nor did they have their physicals.

Jerry H.

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »
Wow Craig :o
2 deer at 60MPH and only lost a headlight and creased a piece of Stainless. And your still going down the road. Glad youwer in the bus!!  That bus may have just saved your life!!!!  It deserves another hug!!

Did you go ahead and road dress the deer! ;D :D  Venison in arcadia??

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

captain ron

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 09:12:23 PM »
Craig, Forgot to warn you about those suicidal deer. Big problem since the DNR has to cut back, no money for therapy or suicide prevention lines  ;D  Good luck on the rest of your trip

Offline Sammy

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 05:17:55 AM »
Craig, sorry to hear of your troubles.
Hope JR has the parts you need to fix the headlight assy.
Just wanted to suggest to check an auto parts store for the headlight adjusters,spring,etc.
They used to sell that small stuff  as a "Help" item. "Help" was the name of the manufacturer.
Sammy  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal