Author Topic: Question for Jake Brake Experts  (Read 4016 times)

Offline scanzel

Question for Jake Brake Experts
« on: January 28, 2015, 10:19:39 AM »
On www.govliquidation.com in Pennsylvania there are several 8V92's used that have complete Jake brake sets in them. The engines look more like recycle than rebuild but they usually go pretty cheap. My question, would it be good to maybe get one in bidding and strip out all the jake parts and reuse them on my 8V92 mechanical. I noticed that some have DDEC units on them would that make a any difference. I live in Connecticut so I could go to Penn and pick one up if won in bidding.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Re: Question for Jake Brake Experts
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 05:34:42 PM »
I'm not one of the experts, but I think that it is a kind of crap shoot.  On the up side, since they are attached to the engine, it is a reasonable chance that it will come with all the parts.  However, there is no way of knowing the condition and whether the Jake would be in need of a rebuild.  These type of deals may be okay for those with the skills and experience to make something of the engine and accessories, but are more risky for people like me that would depend on others to do the more serious work.

I don't remember what I paid for my rebuilt Jakes from Don F., but I think it was reasonable for something I am quite happy with.  I think others here, like Clifford, may have had rebuilts available also.  In short, in something of this nature, I would most prefer to get what I want from someone I trust.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 05:47:59 AM »
Just keeping the thread going, I think the real question might be what are the differences between DDEC jake brake and mechanical jake brake, and I don't know the answer to that.  Jake brakes are easy enough to install, not hard to set up, but you do need to be able to run the rack after, and reset the buffer switch if you add the jake brake buffer switch.  You need the heads, the exhaust valve bridges, the bolts, the buffer switch, the wiring harness and the special seals for the wires going into the heads.  When I say "run the rack", most probably you are just going to have to set the valve clearance on the swapped in exhaust valve bridge and check the rest, probably won't need adjusting much.  You do have to take the valve rocker shaft out to lift up the valve rockers to install and adjust the exhaust valve bridge on each cylinder.

Now, buying a whole engine to get the jake brakes seems a trifle extreme to me, but I've done worse...

brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 06:08:47 AM »
Steve,

If you buy used Jakes plan on purchasing a tune up kit for them (part number 17057).  I paid $292 for the kit from Atlantic Detroit Diesel in Middletown.  Ask to speak with Chuck, the parts manager, and mention I recommend them.  Chuck is a great guy.

I purchased "rebuilt" Jakes from the parts guy at the the local Fleet Pride.  They were in marginal condition and I needed to remove them, install the rebuild kit parts, re-install and run the rack again.  The $500 for the Jakes was a fair price, but they really did need a going through before I installed them.  I will say that for the money I did get a complete set up.  I wasn't missing a single part and all the solenoids worked, but every o-ring was cracked and thusly the oil pressure to the Jakes was close to nothing.
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 06:34:17 AM »
FWIW you can buy the Jake rebuild kit from PacBrake for $125.00 the $292.00 is way too much to pay for the kit, PacBrake kit #P89201 has new control valves,springs and all O-rings
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:01:06 AM »
FWIW you can buy the Jake rebuild kit from PacBrake for $125.00 the $292.00 is way too much to pay for the kit, PacBrake kit #P89201 has new control valves,springs and all O-rings

I also seem to pay list plus 100%.  Plus tax.
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 09:48:37 AM »
Happens to all of us Mark lol I started looking when WW Williams charged me $3.80 each for the oil jumper tube o-rings seals  4 o-rings 23 bucks with shipping
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 11:34:21 AM »
A customer bought two of the military 8V92TA's with Jakes.  They were low milage rebuilt engines from military trucks.  500HP.  I installed the engines for him into a couple of drill rigs, and had to remove the Jakes for clearance, plus you don't need Jakes on a drill rig.  A couple of things on this deal, the Jakes were 24v but were the newer design with a fast idle that worked off the high/low speed governor screw adjuster so you could install the micro-switch in the buffer screw hole.

I kept one set to put in my 24/12v RTS 6V92TA, and offered the other set on the Board's stuff for sale at $800 or best offer.  This included the Jake Valve covers and was a complete set.  I got no offers and the Jakes have been sitting in the customers shed for 6 months so I would have to inventory the parts to see if anything has gone missing.

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal