Author Topic: Myrtle Beach  (Read 7991 times)

Offline Rick 74 MC-8

Myrtle Beach
« on: February 24, 2015, 06:39:37 PM »
We are planning a trip to Myrtle Beach. I'm Looking for suggestions on things to see on the way. The route is flexible to and from Chicago. Somewhat limited to bicycles for side trips. 14 all together from 6 years to 60. Bus is 64' with trailer. Any suggestions.

Thanks
 Rick
About 20 Miles West Of Chicago

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
Re: Myrtle Beach
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:24:46 PM »
The route is flexible to and from Chicago.

Sounds like a blast. My best advice for you, is to turn the bus off, half way between Florida and Chicago. Don't go back to Chicago, and all will be well ;D.

Seriously though, out east is not my energy drink, so others will have to weigh in. Should be a fun trip!

Cheers,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 07:51:33 PM »
Rick,
We have stayed at the Apache CG in North Myrtle Beach, liked it, many seafood places, we enjoyed the music at some of the theaters, think bikes would be OK for most, but I have no experience there with bikes, would contact the Camp Ground to see about the length, might not be an issue IF your used to handling it in tight areas.
Good luck and have some type sun screen.
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:25:49 AM »
What time of year?  I normally stay in the Huntington Beach state park, there are sites that you could back into with that much length, but the official rule is 35' for a state park so you'd need to negotiate.  In the off season, you could drop the trailer in the parking lot, I expect.  It is the kind of place that parents love but children might be bored.  No amusement park, just lots and lots of nature, beach, trails, a neat old mansion/beach house.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:28:46 AM »
Rick,
We have stayed at the Apache CG in North Myrtle Beach, liked it, many seafood places, we enjoyed the music at some of the theaters, think bikes would be OK for most, but I have no experience there with bikes, would contact the Camp Ground to see about the length, might not be an issue IF your used to handling it in tight areas.
Good luck and have some type sun screen.
Dave M  

Good advice, but my experience (having grown up just over the NC line in the '50s and '60s) is that "Myrtle Beach" has spread out so that "it" is about 30-35 miles long along the coast.  Figure what you're going to want to do and see and carefully consider distances on Mapquest or Google Earth.  Some things might not be practical if you don't have a car (or, actually, van for your number of people).  
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 07:33:40 AM »
I had a chuckle when I read the first post.  With 14 people on board it's actually legally a bus again...   ;D

Brian
Allison MT-647

Offline Rick 74 MC-8

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 01:56:05 PM »
we're going in June when the grand kids get out of school. I pretty much have the stay in Myrtle Beach set. we get two sites the trailer sleeps 6.  It's traveling back  I'm looking for suggestions on. we have about 4 days to travel home. I'm not sure if I want to go north up the coast and then back west or stay somewhere in the mountains. just looking for some place interesting.

Thanks
Rick

Offline Charles in SC

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 05:54:39 PM »
If you go north from Myrtle when you get to the outer banks you will have to cross some water on ferries. You might want to check to see if they have a length max. I do not think you will have a problem but I would want to check first because if you have to go around them it is a looong way. If you can fit on the ferries it is a wonderful area to see. I have done that trip in a car and went on up through Williamsburg Va. As far as camp grounds in Myrtle Beach with kids you cannot go wrong with Ocean Lakes. They can probably get you a pull through so you do not need to unhook and the kids will have a lot to do there.
S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000

Offline Lostranger

• Sophia
  • Gillig Low Floor
    • Jim Huskins
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 05:21:08 AM »
Come to the mountains. Visit Western North Carolina and East Tennessee. I'm hesitant to recommend the Blue Ridge Parkway because of the size of your rig, but you could certainly drive I-26 from Asheville to Johnson City. Visit Biltmore House in Asheville. It's America's largest home. Castle, actually. On the Tennessee side, park in Bristol and bike tour the birthplace of country music. If your taste runs to cheesy, go to Sevierville/Gatlinburg. In Maggie Valley, you can hear Raymond Fairchild play banjo. He's a legend who will not be around much longer.

No one has really lived until they've visited the world's oldest mountains.
Jim H.
Marion, NC
1999 Gillig H2000LF
Yes Virginia,
You CAN convert a low floor.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 07:17:33 AM »
I was going to suggest driving up the Shenandoah Valley for a ways on your route north.  It's lovely, very historic, and relatively flat and you do it off the interstates.  I kind of start around Greensboro NC and go north up Hyw 29 aways.  It's kind of out of the direct route to Chicago, though.

Brian
Allison MT-647

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 08:12:25 AM »
I was going to suggest driving up the Shenandoah Valley for a ways on your route north.  It's lovely, very historic, and relatively flat and you do it off the interstates.  I kind of start around Greensboro NC and go north up Hyw 29 aways.  It's kind of out of the direct route to Chicago, though.

Brian

Yes, that's a good route for someone going north-east.  I'd suggest that - since he's going northwest generally - he head for the Greensboro area but then cut over to Pilot Mountain and Mr. Airy, then north into the Valley from there.   It's hard to find a good cross-over for a large vehicle north of Danville VA.  Join US-11 north of Mt. Airy, and head up the Valley as you like.  A good place to tack back west would be I-69 near Hagerstown; it will take you across western MD and the very northern parts of WVa.  Then you can go west from Morgantown WVa into southern Ohio, or cut up toward Pittsburg and take the toll-roads (note: I hate toll-roads) on west.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline ArtGill

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »
If you were a teenager or college student in the 50's-60's you may have been into beach  music and the Shag.  The mecca then and now is OD which is part of the town of North Myrtle Beach.  Some band's that still survive from the 60's are the Ember's and Entertainers.  You can park once and walk to most of the clubs.  In case you haven't been back recently, North Myrtle Beach came about with the consolidation of Cherry Grove, Ocean Drive, Crescent Beach, and Windy Hill.  I have stayed may times at Myrtle Beach Family Camp ground.  The have new bath houses, ocean front, lazy river, indoor and outdoor pool.  If you are going up the outer banks, let me know and I'll help you.  I live at the south end of the Outerbanks in Morehead City.

Art
Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta

Offline Rick 74 MC-8

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 12:55:12 PM »
Well looking at the map I think we'll head to Pigeon forge for 2 days. Most campgrounds seem to have a trolley service into town. That will help with the logistics of the group. Lol. Any recommendations for that area?

Thanks Rick

Offline TedCalvert

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 03:01:25 PM »
Pigeon Forge is a kid's playground.  Go-Kart tracks, lazer tag, indoor skydiving (1,000HP Cat and a BIG fan), all kinds of fun things.  For the adults, and kids, the shows: Country Tonight, Dixie Stampede, Lumberjack Feud, Comedy Barn.  Parrot Mountain.  And of course, Dollywood.  Pick your dates carefully, as some events such as Rod Run gridlock the town, otherwise it's not bad.  Trollies run up & down the strip frequently.  Check in advance with the campground, some have age (vehicle) limits.  Enjoy.  Oh, nothing much opens til mid-late march.

Offline LowTide

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »
If you go north from Myrtle when you get to the outer banks you will have to cross some water on ferries. You might want to check to see if they have a length max. I do not think you will have a problem but I would want to check first because if you have to go around them it is a looong way. If you can fit on the ferries it is a wonderful area to see. I have done that trip in a car and went on up through Williamsburg Va. As far as camp grounds in Myrtle Beach with kids you cannot go wrong with Ocean Lakes. They can probably get you a pull through so you do not need to unhook and the kids will have a lot to do there.

We traveled via the ferry's on our trip, our coach is 40'.

He may want to check out Myrtle beach state campground it was pretty nice and clean And it is right on the beach.
Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"
"Just Misbehavein' "

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal