Author Topic: Myrtle Beach  (Read 8000 times)

Offline Rick 74 MC-8

Re: Myrtle Beach
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 07:02:07 PM »
We stayed at the State park a few years ago. Very nice. This time we're staying at Lakewood just South of there a they have a few more amenities for the younger folks. I think Pigeon forge will have something for everyone. With never having been there before I'm looking for a nice campground. I know I will need two campsites and I call to make reservations (you should hear that conversation) lol but I always prefer first hand recommendations.

Rick
About 20 Miles West Of Chicago

Offline Lostranger

• Sophia
  • Gillig Low Floor
    • Jim Huskins
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 06:31:18 AM »
I think Pigeon forge will have something for everyone.

So, cheesy it is. Have a grand time, but please don't go home thinking you've experienced the Appalachian South. Pigeon Forge and its environs is a land of huckster driven caricature. Nearby Great Smokies Park, however, is the real deal. Consider a visit to Cade's Cove while you're in the neighborhood. The campground there could easily accommodate your rig. Wherever you camp, leave the trailer for a day and drive through Cade's Cove. It may be the most beautiful place on earth. You cannot drive through on Saturday morning, and whenever you go, expect it to be crowded. That's no problem since you won't want to hurry.
Jim H.
Marion, NC
1999 Gillig H2000LF
Yes Virginia,
You CAN convert a low floor.

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 05:33:50 PM »
I second Huntington Beach state park.  Great Place.  If you can make a day trip an hour north to Wilmington NC check out the downtown area there and see the battleship.  Also some very nice beaches ....Tower 7 at wrightsvile beach is a great place for dinner.  We are driving up that way tomorrow.

-Sean
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 06:00:46 PM »
Speaking of the North Carolina Battle Ship, BB-55, I watched it being stuffed in the slip is has been in since 1961, I was a E2 in USMC @ Camp Lejeune with day off for the event.  Have toured nearly every part of it over the years, most interesting for a mechanical type guy. 
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 07:49:41 PM »
  Speaking of the North Carolina Battle Ship, BB-55, I watched it being stuffed in the slip is has been in since 1961, I was a E2 in USMC @ Camp Lejeune with day off for the event.  Have toured nearly every part of it over the years, most interesting for a mechanical type guy. 
Dave M 

I was there, too, although I was only 12 years old at the time.  As it was being swung into the slip that had been cut in the western bank of the Cape Feat, the stern slewed around and smacked into a river boat that had been converted into an on-the-river restaurant on the east side of the river.  So, the battleship's record of "kills and damaged" includes "carried out nine shore bombardments, sank an enemy troopship, destroyed at least 24 enemy aircraft, and assisted in shooting down many more, and damaged one floating eatery".  Yes, the battleship is a *gem* - lots of good stuff for a gear head!
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline Rick 74 MC-8

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 09:52:07 AM »
Jim

Thanks for the heads up.  Looking at Cade's Cove it looks great. That's what we look for when it's just my wife and I. With this size group we need full hookups. I'm still pondering bringing the Motorcycles. If I do I will definitely check it out and many other back roads. When not pulling the trailer I typically take the back roads but with a group like this it's more the destination not so much the adventure getting there. Although we do have fun.

Rick
About 20 Miles West Of Chicago

Offline Lostranger

• Sophia
  • Gillig Low Floor
    • Jim Huskins
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 07:48:20 AM »
Rick,

Have a grand time in our part of creation. It's hard to go wrong with Appalachian locations given that you can apparently tolerate the tourist traps. I avoid those places when possible. Our favorite time for Myrtle Beach is Thanksgiving (US). Crowds are gone, prices are halved, seafood is great, and they have a fine weekend-long Bluegrass music festival at the convention center. Usually the Atlantic is warm enough for swimming at that time if you're so inclined. I usually am, my wife is not.

I'm not suggesting that you change your plans, just that you think about that possibility the next time you head our way. It's a great break from the frozen north without having to cross the dreaded FL line.

I assume you're planning a day at DollyWood. Not bad as theme parks go, especially if you're a fan of steam locomotion. You'll see skilled crafts people making wonderful things, you'll hear traditional music made on the spot, and of course they will have all the rides and overpriced food your group can handle. Ride lines might be long that time of year.

All the best,

Jim
Jim H.
Marion, NC
1999 Gillig H2000LF
Yes Virginia,
You CAN convert a low floor.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal