Author Topic: Smoked clutch.  (Read 3315 times)

Offline 5B Steve

Smoked clutch.
« on: March 31, 2015, 01:57:35 PM »
Hello everyone,

It's been over a year since I last posted about my clutch problem.  Last Saturday the wrecker came and towed it to get fixed.  The engine was

removed as well as the transmission to get to the clutch.  The loud sound that I herd in the orginal post was a fork on the pressure plate and a

broken spring. I guess I didn't help the matter trying to move it . She was pretty glazed over after that.  With tax the new clutch was $ 972.00

Tow Bill, $ 450.00  Removel and Install $ 1000.00.   I've learned my lesson not to move it when it was possibly frozen to the ground, LOL!!

On the good side of all of that, I got a trailer hitch in stalled for $ 200.00.  If anyone  needs one let me know and I will forward the name and

phone number.  He said he will make any to fit  a  M.C.I.  For that price plus the shipping from his shop to your zip code.   I have seen them for $

500.00 listed here from other Bus Nuts.    Half price , not bad.

Steve 5B.........

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: Smoked clutch.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:17:07 PM »
I think you got an awesome deal, I wouldn't re&re a clutch on a MC5 for a grand!  It is really easy to smoke the clutch on an MCI with a 4 speed, first gear and reverse are both really high.  I rebuilt my clutch pressure plate with all new springs and such, I had a broken spring or two as well.  Time to get on the road!

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 02:59:26 PM »
Take heed of Steve's frozen to the ground experience.  Way back before my bus days I tried to free a frozen to the ground 4X4 Carryall by popping the clutch in granny gear.  The result was a broken yoke on the differential and a free flying drive shaft :-[. Jack

Offline 5B Steve

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 03:57:26 PM »
I think you got an awesome deal, I wouldn't re&re a clutch on a MC5 for a grand!  It is really easy to smoke the clutch on an MCI with a 4 speed, first gear and reverse are both really high.  I rebuilt my clutch pressure plate with all new springs and such, I had a broken spring or two as well.  Time to get on the road!

Brian

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the response, the place where I purchased the clutch told me there hard to come by because the age of the engine I have and that being a 8-92 natural . Why, I haven't a clue.  The hitch looks just like the pics you posted. If I knew how to post a pic I would so, anyone wanting one could see it.   Looks Great! I think mine has the power to pull what I need.

Steve 5B......

Offline HB of CJ

Broken Drive Train Parts ...
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 12:10:27 AM »
I will not tell you a short story where a rookie Fire Engineer kinda slipped his wet boot off the clutch while just backing a fire engine into the fire station.  Snapped a companion flange right in half.  But what saved the rook from painful death was that 3 of the 8 bolts had already been cracked.  I can imagine a frozen Bus Conversion glued to the ice being much more tough.  Much more damage could have been done.  Yikes!  HB of CJ (old coot)

Edited; If memory serves; the engine had a 8V71N pumped up with N90 injectors.  This was before "the shops" set the HP/TOR ratings and governors back.  Tranny was a T905M Fuller.  Rear axle gears were 4.11.  U joints were 1710.  I think.  Too long ago.  Allisons were known to exist then, but we never saw any.  Seems the master mechanic did not understand them and was very old school.  The MUI governor really did not want that Detroit to stall.  More Yikes!!

Offline TomC

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 07:14:46 AM »
I have a two word solution for you-Allison Automatic! Over the next months, try to find a donor bus that has a 6V-92TA and HT740. Pull your 8V-92NA and 4spd manual out and replace with the turbo 6V-92. You'll have about the same power but better fuel mileage. The drivability of the Allison will amaze you. I have a smile on my face constantly when driving my bus and truck with Allison in it-and this from a truck driver that drove 1.3 million miles with a 13spd. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 07:23:11 AM »
It's so easy to spend someone else's $15K or $20K, isn't it.  To put that combo in a MC-5 you need the unique engine cradle, which means finding a donor MC-5 that came with a 6V-71.  Then you need to figure out how to mount the turbo - do you go fully custom side mount or do you go top mount, and eliminate the mitre box for the fan drive and raise the ceiling of the engine bay.  Oh the complications to that swap...

Brian
Allison MT-647

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »
Brian I have a 6v71 can I please have that engine? Ummmm lol
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 02:10:23 PM »
For you the swap would be a lot easier.  You'd need an MCI configured engine/transmission, take your engine out and put the new engine on the old cradle, slide it back it and figure out how to mount the turbo.  I've seen it done three or four ways.  I've seen a couple with the turbo on the driver's side, which is the way my 8V-071T is done.  I've seen the turbo on top and the "radiator shelf" raised.  I've seen the turbo on top and the radiators driven with a hydraulic motor, from the power steering pump, and the gearbox and fan belt tossed.  I've heard of, but never seen, turbo on top and a side mount radiator.  Do it, and tell us how it went!   8)

Brian
Allison MT-647

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal