Author Topic: Need a 6v92 engine or good repair shop near Tucson or Phoenix  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Zeke1

Need a 6v92 engine or good repair shop near Tucson or Phoenix
« on: January 03, 2007, 06:09:34 PM »
Hello, We were on our way from Tucson to Bisbee, AZ in our 1987 MCI 9 conversion, and spun a main bearing near Tombstone. We got towed back to Detroit Diesel in Tucson, rented a class C, and still made it for New Years and had a great time, but the dealer is too expensive for an old bus. I am looking for any ideas anybody might have for finding a good used motor, or a reputable shop in the area. It's a 6V92 DDEC 1 motor. Thanks, Zeke.

Offline NJT 5573

Re: Need a 6v92 engine or good repair shop near Tucson or Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 07:29:26 PM »
Zeke, there are several huge truck salvage yards in phoenix. Should be one there at a reasonable price. I have a mui that has had recent major work I would sell, but its still in a truck. OH did I say its in seattle. Ive been told you can run the mui with an atec trans with only a throttle sensor but I haven't researched that yet, maybe someone else can help with that one, as I'd like to loose my ddec engine so I can build some power someday.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 08:28:15 PM »
zeke check with the tour operators in Tucson a lot of them run 6v92s they can put you in touch with someone

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 03:44:27 PM »
There was one on e bay under buses
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 06:36:56 PM »
There is a shop in Tucson called something like Engine and Transmission exchange. It is just a few blocks from the Tuscon airport.

Stay away as far as you can from them. They are really bad news. I went in for an estimate which was $8,000. It ended up costing me $25,000 and I still had trouble with the engine a few months later.
Others have reported the same. Sorry I can not remember the exact name of the place.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 11:57:57 PM »
zeke, how about a little more info for future ref. curious about what caused this failure. DD has never had much of a crankshaft problem. Did you have an oil pump failure? Have you changed your oil recently? has your coach sat for an extended time? Was it full of oil? If it sat and didn't have an oil change could it have a liner leak that allowed antifreeze to get in the oil and stuck the main? Did it throw a rod out of the side of the block? Are the rod bearings worn out and not keeping pressure on the main? How many miles on the engine? I'm asking in hopes I can avoid this happening to me. Also since you are going thru this right now do you know if there are major parts change over involved if you use a truck engine other than the acc drive.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

Offline Zeke1

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 07:18:31 PM »
My motor was supposedly rebuilt before I bought the bus. It appears that a new top end was put on over an old worn out bottom end, and the rest is history. We were cruising along with all gauges normal, and no indication at all there was a problem. The oil was recently changed, the anti-freeze was fresh, there was no indication of water in the oil. We lost power quickly, there was no noise or smoke. As soon as I let off the gas, the motor siezed, and we drifted off the side of the road. I might add that Good Sam was called, and they had a truck there within 1 1/2 hours, and towed us 75 miles to Tucson.

belfert

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 11:46:56 PM »
That Ebay rebuilt 6V92 looks pretty rough for a total rebuild.  It looks like the thing has been sitting outside since it was rebuilt or something.  i wonder if it was exposed to salt air as it was owned by a bay area California transit agency.  Of course, the quality of the rebuild is more important than the paint job.  A pretty paint job can hide a bad rebuild.

This engine has the EPA stuff for urban areas so it probably limits fuel to limit emissions.

Brian Elfert

Offline keithshotrodshop

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 07:11:35 AM »
There is a shop in Flagstaff Arizona called Arizona Diesel. When I was bringing my silversides back and had engine problems, I thought their quote for repair was high, but I found out that it was on target. However what impressed me was their willingness to help. To get my PD3751 home would take many gallons of water (since I was loosing it fast) So they gave me every empty container that would hold some water in their shop, let me fill em all up, and wouldn't take a dollar for it. I really liked these guys, ecpessially in retrospect. Might be worth talking to them.

Offline Zeke1

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 09:55:41 AM »
I have heard other horror stories about the shop near the airport on Country Club Rd., so I'm ruling them out. The ebay seller has -1 feedback, so that doesn't look too good either. I have found a motor through an internet search that looks promising. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks, Zeke.

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 10:19:18 AM »
Zeke -

In Tucson, try calling:

Todd Koehler @ Arrow Stage Lines, 520-544-0029

George Nelson @ Auto Safety House, 520-889-9551

Kevin Ryan @ Classic Tour & Transportation, 520-327-3333

Ernie Felix @ W.W. Williams, 520-624-8377

The one Richard (and others) suggest you stay away from is called Arizona Transmission & Engine Exchange

In Phoenix, try calling:

Barry Stevens @ All Coach & Truck Repairs, 602-305-6414

Tony Serritella @ American Fleet Services, 602-257-8919

Chris Weaver @ Desert West Coach Service, 602-340-8287

Shop Foreman @ Tour West America, 480-237-8888

All of the above names were in the latest issue of the Bus Garage Index, something no busnut should be without.  Copies available from www.busride.com

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline NJT 5573

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 08:05:14 PM »
Hey Zeke, how about an update. are you running?

Offline Zeke1

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 01:08:32 PM »
Not running yet, but I bought a remanufactued motor from a truck salvage yard in Denver for a great price. It was a leftover spare from Denver Transit when they sold their older buses. It's being installed now, and I'm upgrading from DDEC I (NJT) to DDEC IV. I'll let you all know the outcome. Zeke.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal