Author Topic: I have part # for dipstick and serial # from block do these match?  (Read 3375 times)

Offline RickB

• 81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754
Dipstick # is 5102092V

Front of engine block stamp is:
08FV1622

I'm thinking I may have ran this like two gallons over full since I bought it. Oil pressure at full on dipstick at 65 mph is almost 50lbs while oil pressure at the lowest part of the stick is around 25 at same speed. I have blue smoke after idling and use a lot of oil while driving until it get's a couple gallons low, then no blue smoke and usage seems to go down big time. Anybody share my thought that this thing is just way overfull of oil when I fill it according to this dipstick? The other troubling thing is the 92V as the last numbers and letters on the dipstick part# leading me to believe that I have an 8V71 with a 8V92 dipstick. Thought's? or can any of you cross reference the part #'s and see if this is the dipstick that came with the engine originally?

Thanks

Rick
I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.

Offline Jon

Re: I have part # for dipstick and serial # from block do these match?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 10:48:32 AM »
Allowing for age and unknown changes to the coach, why are you not just using the specified amount of oil at a change and seeing where it comes on the stick?

My guess is the book is going to be more accurate than a stick.
Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 10:58:56 AM »
That is the right oil stick for a 7 gal oil pan it fits the 92 and 71 V series #5102092 but I don't know if the tube is right or not so when you change oil pour 6-1/2 gals or 7 gals with a new filter in and check the stick. Unless you have a military engine 7 gals is the capacity for a V71 or V 8 92   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 11:19:51 AM »
so...do you have the right pan ?
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline RickB

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 11:20:03 AM »
Hey guys,

I did the 1" below the top of the oil pan measurement and according to that my low mark is my full mark. I just did an oil change so I'm really reluctant to spend the money for 7 more gallons to see what that will tell me. At the least this dipstick, according to what I'm reading on the blog discussions, is a gallon off which may confirm that it's the wrong dipstick for my oil pan. For what it's worth in the discussion I have the flat oil pan not the sump type that some of these engines came with. The thing that makes this so unscientific is that pretty much all the websites and different sources say the capacity is 30-32 quarts. That's a half gallon difference. So, I'll run it a gallon low until I need an oil change and deal with it then. I just don't get how my oil pressure changes 25 lbs between full and just off the stick. Seems weird to me that although there's less oil in the crankcase it should still read the same pressure it requires to move it through the engine.

Much thanks for the input everyone...

Rick

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 12:26:05 PM »
That is the oil stick that goes with the serial number on the engine,maybe your pickup tube has a crack we had to change Jim's pickup tube because of a crack.

Both the sump type and the tapered flat oil pans hold 7 gals on a 92 or 71 series, the pickup tubes are different, when they get below the pickup tube screen it will suck air and the oil pressure will drop fwiw.How many gals on your last oil change ? they can hold 32 qts depending on the oil cooler and which filter you are using

Offline RickB

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 01:41:16 PM »
Clifford,

Explain more about a crack in the tube. I/m not following how that would affect this like this.

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 02:37:57 PM »
Clifford,

Explain more about a crack in the tube. I/m not following how that would affect this like this.

the pickup tube on/for your oil pump. inside the pan.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 03:26:29 PM »
Rick,if the oil pressure only drops when it is showing off the stick the pump is sucking air because the pickup is not covered with oil.I would not let it run that low myself but some people run one till the oil pressure drops which is usually at 1.5 to 2 gals low then pour in a couple of gals not me  

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 05:34:52 PM »
Having the top of the full mark one inch below the pan rail is correct, no matter what someone has changed to make it read wrong.    Have you checked your bearings for wear while you had the oil pan off?  Did you make sure the oil pressure relief valves were on the correct side?  Finally, maybe someone put a scored oil pump on the engine.

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 06:28:18 PM »
Lol strange thing is Rick's serial number is for a 8V92 so I don't know what he has,the model number fits a V71

Offline RickB

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 07:46:26 AM »
Clifford,

I'm wondering if I don't have an 8v92 normal in my bus. But why would the cam pulley say 8V71? I'm not the kind of guy who feels comfortable with the oil pump sucking air so I need to figure this out. The weird thing is I remember running my old 6v92 in the 4905 low and it would actually drop oil pressure going around corners and it was obvious by the gauge that I was low on oil, bur this is different it literally goes from 50 lbs on the full mark at 65 mph to 25 lbs just off the end of the dipstick at 65 mph and it is steady as a rock. There's no way that this motor is wore out, I turn the key at 20 degrees and it fires up so fast it's amazing. Broken injector tip? cracked oil ring? Blue smoke after idling or startup for a mile or two at full on the dipstick. Let it get just below the end of the dipstick (2 gallons low) and the blue smoke vanishes. It's a stinking conundrum.

RB

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 08:41:01 AM »
1 way to be sure behind the water pump on the block "92" will be cast in raised letters 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal