Author Topic: auto transmission cooler flow direction  (Read 2593 times)

Offline rayshound

auto transmission cooler flow direction
« on: January 04, 2007, 09:48:18 PM »
I had seen some time back a posting about direction of cooling flow vers oil flow. I have a HTB -748 (electronic version of a HT-740 with a retarder). Anyways my cooler is a stand alone heat exchanger. It looks like a 6" pipe about a foot or so long. On each end it has a 3" fitting for water hose to be hooked up in line with water flow from discharge of water pump. (Series 60), on top (exchanger lays down) is two 1&1/4" pipes for the oil flow. No labeling on inlet or outlets. Some ones article mentioned lamater flow, (mispelled) some thing about if water inlet is on left then oil inlet should be on right or something like that. Any ideas, Thanks, Ray

Offline NJT 5573

Re: auto transmission cooler flow direction
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 12:11:38 AM »
Ray,I don'think it would cause a problem either way. The cooler just has tubes in the center of it that flow the oil thru the water.The ability to pick up from either side is probably for plumbing ease.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Sojourner

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 01:02:38 AM »
About heat exchanger:
1)   Horizontal mount position……water or coolant enter the opposite location of oil entering so that cooler oil is exit at cooler water inlet end. Either opening end is same unless one is larger opening for warmer or expanded fluid.
2)   Vertical mount positions……have coolant enter at bottom while oil enters at top side opening.
3)   Whichever mounting position…always have one opening of each passage in up (higher than other) or vertical position to allow air to escape or bleeder.
4)   Best cooling effectiveness is having in vertical mounting position.

Law of physics is warm fluid or air is lighter & more expanded than cooler fluid or air.

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Offline rayshound

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »
Makes sense Jerry, Thanks so much.!  Ray

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal