Author Topic: OT - SNOW here in CO  (Read 4370 times)

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

OT - SNOW here in CO
« on: January 05, 2007, 11:46:40 AM »
I've been snapping pics and blogging about the white stuff that's been slamming us here lately. And it's snowing again today. We're on track to beat our local record that's stood since 1913!

I also hear that there's been NO snow or much cold weather in many parts of the NE USA and even in Europe. Wild!

http://www.brownland.org/blog/category/snow/

So... if you want snow? Come here!  :D
Brian B.
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline BusCrazyTom

Re: OT - SNOW here in CO
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 12:54:39 PM »
This once again confirming why I don't live there, even though I love that part of the country. I'm allergic to all that snow........ 8)

Offline Chariotdriver

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 01:40:03 PM »
Hey,
 I'm here in Winter Park at the moment trying to enjoy some of that, we don't get much of that white stuff in South MS.

Phil Webb
Pass Christian, MS

Offline roadrunnertex

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 03:07:35 PM »
Well,
I bet that you have not had a chance to check your rear wheel seal.
I can not blame you with all of that snow around your old Buffalo you might have to wait until the last day of Spring or the 1st day of summer to do any work.
Thanks for the photos and up date.
jlv ::)

Offline TomC

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 04:33:21 PM »
When I was driving truck, I took Dec 15 through Mar 15 every year, I liked the white stuff so much.  Now work full time in Los Angeles.  I'll gladly put up with the masses of people, traffic, smog, earthquakes, etc for the year round mild weather we have.  Course, house and living is sky high.  Yous gets whats yous pays for.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline akbusguy2000

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 04:58:12 PM »
We're not on par with Colorado this winter, but here's a pic of what I woke up to yesterday morning.

tg

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 05:07:46 PM »
akbusguy2000...wow...

That is an unbelievable picture.
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 05:16:38 PM »
That's a good amount of snow, there, AK! On your roof it really looks deep!

We've enjoyed the stuff so far... sledding, snowball fights, etc. The white Christmas was really neat (and surprisingly rare for here). We even walked to the grocery store today, me and the kiddos, avoiding the driving around with the bozos. The shovelling has been the worst part, between the two houses we own (one's for sale). The aerobic activity is good for me this time of year... helps keep the beer gut off  ;), but my lower back starts hurtin' after awhile.

You're right, jlv, the rear wheel seal is too buried in the white stuff right now. We have a trip planned for March, so I should be OK with getting it done before then. Usually, the snow doesn't stick around here for long... just a few days after most storms, but there's a lot to melt off right now.

Cheers,
Brian B.
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline Stan

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 05:30:35 PM »
For those in the deep snow belt this winter: Are you ready to kill the SOB that is scaring you with global warming? We are getting average  weather for the past month (just a bit above and below freezing) but in November we had one morning of -40 and quite a few of -30. Global warming doesn't scare me!

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 06:00:05 PM »
Hey spaceship

we got it here too in New Mexico

the first picture is during the snowstorm and the second it after it stopped

Not alaska impressive but much more than I wanted.

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 08:24:49 PM »
Hello.

For those who haven't had to deal with this...

Guess where the water ends up when this stuff starts to do a partial melt on a sunny day?

When installing your roof airs on a northern coach, remember that ice dams will raise the level of water above the roof skin and cause all manner of dripping down into the coach that you never dreamed could happen, and just rain water will never expose to you where the coach can let water into the coach.

Those who don't see snow on the roof of their coach, be humbly thankful, and worry where your coach might leak if it ever gets a snow load on the roof.

A tube of fresh bathroom mildew resistant caulking is a handy thing to keep around, and familarity with the removal of your AC covers both in the coach and on the roof comes in handy....

Yes, be sure to attend the house of worship of your choice and thank the god you subscribe to that you aren't living the frozen north.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline jatnip

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 08:56:59 PM »
Buffalo
We are leaving Cody WY next week and to be in Huchinson KS by next friday.  Was planning on going to denver then east on 70.  How is the interstates down there?

what do you recomend?  Besides staying home!
Jim

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 11:36:13 PM »
Jim:

I haven't left our fair city since this whole thing began 12/21... so I can't help you much with first-hand accounts of the Interstate conditions. You might try the following links prior to leaving:

CO: http://www.cotrip.org/rWeather/All_Regions_010607_003825.html
KS: http://www.kanroad.org/kanroadpublic/Ksys/KRDefault.asp
and WY: http://map.wyoroad.info/

HTH, and have a safe trip!
Brian B.
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline akbusguy2000

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 01:26:47 PM »
Buswarrior brings up a good point.  We deal with ice damming all the time with snow-laden roofs.  But it only occurs when the structure beneath it, such as my house, is heated.  That's why my coach sits over the winter without any interior heat.  And it doesn't get started, heated, or moved until spring when the roof is bare.  I have never had water intrusion caused by snow on the roof.

I also know better than to attempt cleaning the snow from the roof of a 4106.  My old S&S had a flat roof that sagged in the middle from the snow load and it had to be shoveled off every winter.  I broke more than one of those plastic vent covers in the process, which were as brittle as glass.

tg   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal