Author Topic: North to Alaska  (Read 36050 times)

Offline eb99603

• 1994 Setra S215, DD S60 w/HT748
North to Alaska
« on: July 14, 2015, 08:15:39 AM »
The house is sold. The bus is (mostly) packed. I'm collecting a folder with the printed route, customs declaration items, CoachNet numbers, insurance company numbers, etc. By the start of the weekend we'll be well on our way up to Alaska.

The purpose of this drive is relocation, not leisurely travel so we'll be pushing pretty hard. I picked up the bus down in Florida, and drove it 1800 miles home. Now another 3400 miles up to AK. I have 3 drivers so we should make some pretty good time (assuming no breakdowns). Should be a blast!

Offline IMABUSBOY

• 1987 MC9 6V92TA "The Sparrow"
Re: North to Alaska
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:03:02 PM »
The first two words that come to mind...I'm jealous! :P That said, have a great and safe trip!! Good luck and be sure to post! :)
Danny
Happiness is not found at any destination, it can only be found on the journey.
 Keep your eye on the sparrow.

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 06:37:27 PM »
Excellent news - drive safe and try and enjoy the drive!

Offline eb99603

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 05:55:46 AM »
We're on the road! After getting my unloaded, unfueled weight at Precision Frame (32,800 lbs) I started doing a back-of-the-napkin calculation. And then I started getting nervous. A household of belongings weighs a lot, and so does 230 gallons of diesel. Brought it to a CAT scale before embarking and my mind was eased: 4k to spare!

Yesterday we left MN later than anticipated and stopped in Minot, ND. Nothing too eventful other than a pretty nasty rain storm for about 15 miles. Bus is driving well. Inverter and all of the electronics inside are really making for a much more enjoyable experience for the non drivers. We lost a tail light in the rain - apparently water's getting into the housing. Thankfully I have plenty of extras. Much of western MN and ND has had diesel selling less than gasoline. To that I say: booyah.

One thing I did note, however, is that I'm not getting any heat up by the driver. It wasn't a big deal in MN due to the outside temps, but we'll need to get that figured out sooner rather than later or this will become a very uncomfortable drive.

Should be through Canadian customs later today!

Offline eb99603

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 06:41:43 AM »
Other observations from the road...

Smells. The changing smells coming through the HVAC system are fascinating on a road trip. From different crops, to animals, and other vehicles' mechanical issues it's always something new.

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:46:26 AM »
Ed,

I will totally be watching your thread. I love Alaska. Someday, I will be driving the route myself. Please keep this updated as you can. Already loving the thread!

Cheers,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline pvcces

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 08:54:52 AM »
If it was me, I would be trying to figure out how much of the heating system the FL owner removed thinking that he wouldn't be needing. This was a major consideration in our choice. We bought a bus that was converted in MN because it still had heating equipment installed.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 01:03:55 AM »
Ed, do
You have more photos of your journey and updates? This is a dream trip for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 06:44:23 AM »
Scott,

While it's been over 10 years ago, the photos of our 2005 trip are still on my website at http://gumpydog.com/Alaska_2005/Photos/2005_alaska_trip_index.htm

No text. Too many photos to annotate.

Feel free to ask questions.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Scott & Heather

• MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 03:11:10 PM »
Oooh! Thanks Craig! I'm going to click the link right now!!

Scott & Heather

Offline Scott & Heather

• MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 04:19:27 PM »
Lots of great pics! Did the guy in the rollover accident live? Looks like his trucked burned pretty bad

Scott & Heather

Offline eb99603

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 07:20:28 PM »
Man do I feel like a chump for starting this thread and then falling off the face of the planet. The drive was ... eventful ... though nothing we couldn't overcome, and then all of the aspects of moving to a new place got the better of me and I never came back to share my story with you folks. I'll be back this week for sure to continue where I left off in my July post.

UPDATE: Thanks Craig/Scott for reviving this thread. I'd been meaning to collect my notes and pictures from the trip to document it better but it kept getting back burnered until I totally forgot about it. It's been fun collecting everything tonight, and beginning to relive the trip a bit!

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 03:21:13 AM »
Lots of great pics! Did the guy in the rollover accident live? Looks like his trucked burned pretty bad

Yes, he was fine. He had escaped before the fire started. This was before I had purchased my Cold Fire fire extinguishers from Jim Shepherd or I might have tried them out.
I considered pulling up and breaking out the water hose, but decided against it as I only had about 50 feet of hose, and with the toad attached I would not have
been able to back up if needed.
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 03:22:21 AM »
Man do I feel like a chump for starting this thread and then falling off the face of the planet. The drive was ... eventful ... though nothing we couldn't overcome, and then all of the aspects of moving to a new place got the better of me and I never came back to share my story with you folks. I'll be back this week for sure to continue where I left off in my July post.

UPDATE: Thanks Craig/Scott for reviving this thread. I'd been meaning to collect my notes and pictures from the trip to document it better but it kept getting back burnered until I totally forgot about it. It's been fun collecting everything tonight, and beginning to relive the trip a bit!

We'll be looking forward to your writeup. It's a great trip that others should be encouraged to do. Recent information on the conditions is always appreciated.
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 03:56:14 PM »
Really really enjoyed reading this thread. Still going through the photos. Lots of awesome stuff. We're planning on an Alaska road trip this year - probably May through September Florida Alaska Florida. This thread is very rewarding and appreciated. Good stuff, - what bucket lists should be made of! Thanks for sharing. 
Dan & Sandy
North Central Florida
PD4104-129 since 1979
Toads: 2009 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 5.7L Hemi
             2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 4.2L IL Vortec

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal