Author Topic: Big Buses and other photos  (Read 16400 times)

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
Big Buses and other photos
« on: January 08, 2007, 05:05:28 AM »
I just love big buses, and just came across a Dutch website with some good photos I thought I'd share.  I've never seen a 4-axle coach in Britain, but  the European maximum permitted length for an unarticulated vehicle is now 15m (50 feet), so they would be legal. We have a lot of of double-deck coaches here, due I guess to our high fuel prices. British towns are of course famous for double deck buses (ie. of the 'London Bus' type), so I guess bridges etc have been built to accomodate them over the years, so double-deck inter-city coaches don't cause the problems they might in other countries. Anyway, a few pics:

An row of fifty footers:

Convertible coach as city-centre tour bus:

An old Setra for BK. Love that glass roof!

Gerry Anderson designs a motorhome for Lady Penelope:

Shortwheelbase:

Ouch:

Neoplan Megaliner:

Nice styling, horrible paint:

Love those mirrors!:

Whoops:

And finally, the real Biggest Bus in the World (I think) - the Neoplan Jumbocruiser - 18m (60 feet), 144 passengers, V12 Mercedes engine. The've been building these since 1976 in various configurations (note different axle layouts etc), but it's now been replaced by the non-articulated Megaliner. The white one at the bottom has actually just been rebuilt by a British operator using all the latest Neoplan panels to look like a brand new 2007 bus, but is actually a few years old:

For a better photo of this last bus, go this this page: (image is too big to appear in post)

http://lh4.google.com/image/jumbocruiser/RUJnfFPpABI/AAAAAAAAACQ/suNPhXOu3Bk/IMG_0441.JPG

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
Re: Big Buses and other photos
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 06:17:41 AM »
Oh Man................. Thanx a BUNCH!!!!!!!!!!! I love the shots!! And the creativity!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are some pretty cool lookin buses out there!!  Thanx!

Feelin creative,
     Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 07:27:37 AM »
Jeremy,

Very Kool..

The first pic up top are scale models.. or that women is a 20ft tall. Lol...

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 07:34:32 AM »

Nick-

Yes, you're right - I hadn't noticed that. The caption of the photo might have said that, but I can't read Dutch!

J
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Lee Bradley

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 10:05:26 AM »
Looks like that last Neoplan has a factory hitch receiver; must make for a loooong rig.

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 12:15:23 PM »
I think European style buses are amazing. 
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 12:26:37 PM »
Jeremy,

Very Kool..

Nick-

Splain to me. I don't get it.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline edvanland

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 02:00:03 PM »
Richard, I didn't either.  Look in the upper right hand corner and there is a person leaning against a tree.  The tree is real tall.
ED
MCI 7
Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

Offline Lee Bradley

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 03:08:15 PM »
The buses are in the foreground and should be much larger than the woman in the background also look at the grass next to the pavement the buses are on.

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 03:53:10 PM »
That's one of them optikal alusions ::)
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 04:39:12 PM »
Looks like she is on a hill and the perspective makes her look tall. Cabbage grass in the foreground?
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 05:11:31 PM »
My theory regarding the grass in the foreground:

The camera appears to be about level with the upper windows, almost even with the bus roofs.  My guess is that the ground level where the camera sits is 12-15' higher than the lot where the busses are.  The camera is sitting close to the ground, making the grass blades appear large.

I reserve the right to be profoundly wrong on this, but that is how it looks to me.

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 07:20:52 PM »
This ain't the first time a grassy knoll has caused problems... ;D

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 10:42:22 PM »
Well, if those busses aren't scale models then the fence behind them would be 100' tall.  Nick is right, the lady is the dead giveway. Anything that far in the background would be much shorter than what's in the foreground due to the laws of perspective... hill or not. Likewise, look at those light poles waaay off in the distance. Move your eye between all of those elements (plus the aforementioned grass) a few times and you'll see that those can't be full-size coaches. They're scale models on a sidewalk, each maybe 2-3' long at the most.

Or were 'ya kiddin'?!  ???

Here's a couple "scale-benders" from my collection:

BTW, nice gallery, Jeremy! Ain't it great how we can go "off-thread" in a hurry.  ;D
Brian B.
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

captain ron

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 11:47:59 PM »
I would love to have one of those little short buses, kinda reminds me of my school days being the window licker on the short bus.  ;D
Actually they wold make cool looking hot rod buses, put those wide tires on the back they make to eliminate duelies, and jack the rear end up a little higher than the front, custom paint. It would look like one of those Zingers from a long time ago.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal