Author Topic: So many new Posts  (Read 7057 times)

Offline zimtok

• Eddie Smith, the reason for having the bus
So many new Posts
« on: January 08, 2007, 11:03:09 AM »
WOW!!!!

I'm offline for a short time and the post count just explodes....

Is it just me or could this forum use a little more organization or a better forum format?
Many of the forums I visit for my other vehicles use a format that moves the active topics to the top of the list in order of the most recent replied post. And they also have seperate forums for different topics such as Engines, Drive trains, Chassis, Electrical. Photos, and General Questions.

Don't get me wrong I love this forum, it just seems easy to "loose" a post because it was pushed down the list 4-5 pages....
1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

Re: So many new Posts
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 12:19:11 PM »
WOW!!!!

I'm offline for a short time and the post count just explodes....

Is it just me or could this forum use a little more organization or a better forum format?
Many of the forums I visit for my other vehicles use a format that moves the active topics to the top of the list in order of the most recent replied post. And they also have separate forums for different topics such as Engines, Drive trains, Chassis, Electrical. Photos, and General Questions.

Don't get me wrong I love this forum, it just seems easy to "loose" a post because it was pushed down the list 4-5 pages....

It depends on how you set up your preferences whether the latest post is at the top of page I or not. You set this in your profile.
 If you are down 4 or 5 pages then you have a lot of catching up to do. LOL

There has been a lot of discussion over the past year regarding formats. The consensus of opinion was that most wanted everything together, rather than breaking up in different forums, as most of us like to read everything, regardless of the subject.
Richard
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

belfert

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 12:23:19 PM »
The forum already moves the topics with the most recent replies to the top of the first page right under the sticky topics.

There really are not enough posts to split into multiple forums.  The BBS will quickly die if each forum only has a few posts.

Brian Elfert

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 12:29:15 PM »
Hi zimtok,

Try a few approaches in your Profile as Richard has stated, and see which is good for you.

Sorry for your problems! If you need further assistance, contact me or any of the Moderators.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline pete81eaglefanasty

• smithmotorsports
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 12:32:22 PM »
 It's fine Just the way it is. The K I S S rule"s

Pete & Jean
             Fantasy
WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.

Offline edvanland

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 01:57:12 PM »
I agree with Pete.  This board is great.  It is easy to use for us from the old school.
Thanks to MAK and all of you who put so much work and time in and with it.
ED
MCI 7
Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

captain ron

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 11:38:27 PM »
I felt the same way at first and almost quit, but after learning how it works it's great  ;)

Offline zimtok

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 05:19:16 AM »
Like I said in my post I am grateful for this board and I check it every morning when I get to work. Great people, great information, and I wil continue reading and contributing.

I guess that I'm more used to other forums that have some seperation between topics.

Offline Eagle

• 1985 Eagle
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 07:24:34 AM »
Lately it seems that a few are posting just to be posting.

Offline zimtok

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 07:32:03 AM »

And that's OK to post your thoughts and ideas and experiences..... (I love reading the "road stories")

But it sure would make navigating a little easier if there was a separate forum for those general posts and technical posts.

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 08:23:48 AM »
define techincal.

Then there would be conflicts about where stuff is posted, and its bad enough as it is.

If you manage your "new" posts then its not much of an issue.  Each time you look, if you open all that interest you, then click the button mark as read for the rest, you never really need to have too large a group of posts staring at you.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

belfert

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 08:26:03 AM »

I did some calculations and we are getting maybe 100 posts per day and about a dozen new topics a day.  Split up the forums into more sub forums and that could drop to two or three topics per sub forum per day.  At that point, people quit reading because hardly anything new is posted.

Big forums do have sub forums, but some of them get 5,000 posts per day or more.  Way more in some cases.

Brian Elfert

Offline zimtok

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 09:01:21 AM »

I did some calculations and we are getting maybe 100 posts per day and about a dozen new topics a day.  Split up the forums into more sub forums and that could drop to two or three topics per sub forum per day.  At that point, people quit reading because hardly anything new is posted.

Big forums do have sub forums, but some of them get 5,000 posts per day or more.  Way more in some cases.

Brian Elfert

Do you quit reading because the posts in one forum drop? I don't. I quite reading because it gets boring or it does not interest me.

I belong to a motorcycle forum that only gets 40-60 posts per day. They are spread over about 6-8 main forums. I read every new topic and most topics that have replies to them. The forums that have NEW posts are highlighted for easy navigation. And most of the NEW topics and topics with new replies fit on the first page of the forum.

On this forum a topic gets pushed to the next page or farther very quickly, I tend to not go beyond the first few pages when I am looking for something. Much the same as when I Google something, if it isn't in the first few pages I stop looking.

If your afraid that interest will be lost by splitting the forum then just split it into 2-3 then the number of new topics and new replies per forum will remain high enough to keep our interest.

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 09:06:20 AM »
Depending on how oftern you check, I rarely get over one page when I check the "Show unread topics since last visit" button at the top near my avatar.  Are you using this feature?  If not, it might save you the aggravation and resolve this issue.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

belfert

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 09:25:46 AM »

Brian Elfert

Do you quit reading because the posts in one forum drop? I don't. I quite reading because it gets boring or it does not interest me.

There are lots of Internet forums I have visited once or twice because they have 5 to 10 sub forums and each might get one post a day.  If they had fewer subforums they would probably get more posts and keep folks interested.  I don;t want to click through a bunch of forums just to see one or two posts in each.

Brian Elfert

Offline zimtok

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 10:03:59 AM »
Depending on how oftern you check, I rarely get over one page when I check the "Show unread topics since last visit" button at the top near my avatar.  Are you using this feature?  If not, it might save you the aggravation and resolve this issue.

I'll try that in the future.
I'm certainly not going to stop comming to this forum because of the format.
And I'm probably the exception here in that I am only online during the week when I'm at work. Come monday mornng when I login there has been a surge of posts since the friday before.
I'll deal with it.

As always I greatly appeciate all the coments and I hope I have not offended anyone. I respect this board/forum and it's members. I look forward to reading and posting here every day and will continue to do so.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal