Author Topic: 6v92 Antifreeze coming out of passenger side slobber tube?!  (Read 15922 times)

Offline NJT5047

Re: 6v92 Antifreeze coming out of passenger side slobber tube?!
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 08:14:46 PM »
Not trying to hijack thread but I have a similar question. I've been looking at a 1973 Eagle 8V71 with slight coolant in oil pan. Owner claims it is an injector tube leaking and he has had this happen before on other engines...Is this a possibility or is it more likely to be liner seals?
TIA..

Check the chassis for rust.  A "slight" water leak is a subjective term...means different things to people.   Anyway, the water in the engine may be the least of your concerns if rust in the frame is found.  Get EXPERT help with Eagle rust!  Do not guess at it.    If frame passes inspection, let the owner repair the water leak.. since he knows what it is   :D...then verify that it is fixed. >:(  You may have any number of things leaking...pretty much rule out liners though.   Engine would have to be inframed if water has been leaking into it for any time.   I'd run away.   With a bad engine, a 73 Eagle wouldn't have a lot of value...unless it is unusually nice?  Do you have a place to park the bus and work on it?  Can you pull the engine?  Unless you are very well equipped to repair the engine yourself, or can change it out, my suggestion would be to get accurate estimates of repairs for leaking engines... :o   
Brian's situation is a little different with a known good running engine that has been exercised recently, and apparently has not had water mixed into the running engine.   
Brian, if you pull the heads, may want to have them serviced while they are off.  You may find a crack in one of the heads.   Sammy offers a good idea with pressurizing the cooling system.  Close off the heater cores before you perform this test.  No since in testing the heater cores  tolerance for pressure.
You may see the fizzies...this would be good to note where water isn't, as well as where it is.  Once you pull a bearing, you'll know whether you need to replace or leave the bearings. 
Good luck, JR   8)
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Timkar

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2007, 08:57:29 PM »
Hi JR...I've got an 88 Eagle 15, so know about the rust issues with an Eagle (although mine is not bad) The 73 I am looking at is a  West Coast bus with very little rust (appears to be all surface) I can't push an ice pick in anywhere and the framing sounds metallic when I hit with a hammer. He is selling up and is including all of his stock (new and used parts) from when he operated 4 Eagles. Not sure if I need another Eagle, but the stacks of parts are enticing. (BTW I have lots of room) He will not sell anything separate, so I was just curious as to whether the injector tube leaking was a common thing. Thanks
Cawston, British Columbia

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2007, 06:03:06 AM »
so I was just curious as to whether the injector tube leaking was a common thing. Thanks

I don't think the injector tube leaking is common, though it can happen...
My local service guy told me the easiest way to tell if the injector tube or sleeve is leaking is to remove the airbox covers on the sides of the engine until you find a cylinder with water leaking from it.  If the water is coming out the ports it is likely an injector tube.  If the water is coming from above the ports down from the head then it is most likely a cylinder sleeve leak.

HTH

PS.  Make SURE to not run it with water in the oil.  Make sure to drain out the coolant before trying to run the engine.  Better yet, fix it where it is and then put in new oil. 

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 09:35:07 AM »
Hello Timkar,
Brian offers good ideas on locating the leaks...injector tubes leaking isn't common, but on an old engine that has not been used for a while, anything is possible.  Water may get into a DD 2 cycle if it rains on it ...that water won't be the color of antifreeze.  Injector tubes may be leaking, heads cracked, cylinder head gaskets... 
If I had to pull the injectors out related to water leaks,  believe I'd do a compression test and go ahead and pull the heads and have them serviced, IF the compression was within normal limits.  Also pull the pan to try to evaluate just how much water may have been run thru the engine.  If the bearings are wiping metal, it won't be an easy fix...still fixable.   If you find little droplets of water in the bottom of oil puddles in the head low places, you probably wouldn't want to go to too much trouble with that engine.
Any signs of rust inside the engine is a bad sign. 
Brian, how's your project coming?  Found your leaks?  Post what you find!    ???
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 09:54:37 AM »

Brian, how's your project coming?  Found your leaks?  Post what you find!    ???
Cheers, JR

Hey JR,
I found the leak in the middle cylinder liner on the passenger side of the engine.  I turned over the engine with a wrench last night as well and no water came out of the ports... so no leaks in the injector tube.  I'm now trying to figure out all my options.  I've been doing a lot of calling around on different engines to see what is available and what it might cost.  I'm also trying to find a local DD 2 stroke guy willing to do a little moonlighting with me if I decide to tear down this engine.  Lots to look into yet... The biggest thing I'm trying to figure out is if I can swallow putting money into a engine I'd like to just get rid of all together .... I looking at getting a L10e or an M11 right now.  I finally got some dimensions for the motor and the next step is to figure out what automatic transmission options I have are given the length available to me.  After I figure that out I have to crunch some numbers and see where it leaves me. 
-Brian

Offline Timkar

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 04:46:27 PM »
Thanks for the info Gents
Cawston, British Columbia

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal