Author Topic: Another Wiring ?  (Read 2112 times)

Online luvrbus

Another Wiring ?
« on: April 26, 2016, 05:46:39 PM »
My jumper cables for the parallel on the batteries will be 8 inches long ea,is 2/0 heavy enough, the cable from the bank to the inverters will be 4/0 two feet long this a 24volt system.
 Sorry to be pain but I would like to do this 1 time only.If you want sticker shock price cable, terminal ends and a Huskie crimper that friggn HF hyd crimper lasted 1 crimp  ???  
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 05:50:50 PM by luvrbus »
Life is short drink the good wine first

Online chessie4905

Re: Another Wiring ?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 05:52:21 PM »
I don't know if this is any help
http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Online luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 06:05:06 PM »
I found a solar place that sold solid cooper jumper bars but I was afraid of the vibration they would have been a dream just bolt on 

Offline biff

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 06:18:21 PM »
I only use welding cable. sometimes you can find the terminal ends on ebay cheaper. gust stay a way from  hong con foie crap. :D

Offline bottomacher

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 04:46:51 AM »
I believe the wire size is fine, since I have that as well for five years now without incident. Call a local electrical contractor and ask him to crimp the terminals for you with a real hydraulic crimper. A case of beer will probably help the process. You'll be much happier with good terminals correctly applied. A bit of dielectric paste on the wire ends is a good idea too.

Offline doublee

• Osgood, IN
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 07:07:24 AM »
 I use welding cable also (Mcmaster-carr) and solder all my battery ends and cover them with Moisture Seal Heat-Shrink Tubing.
  You can also buy the ends with flux and solder all ready in them, just stick your wire in and heat.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#battery-cable-ends/=125x50i

Online luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 07:29:53 AM »
I decided to go with all fusion type lugs on 1 cable for ea run and not use the short jumper cable on each battery but I may have a crimp style for the center batteries I can't find the fusion type to use there.
 The good Huskie crimper price wasn't worth going with the crimp style lol don't waste your money on the H/F 10 ton crimper your are just a well off using a hammer style   

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 08:47:40 AM »
Try pricing the tinned marine cable in 4/0....

There are many ways to spend your money in a religious manner!

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

Offline scanzel

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 09:48:33 AM »
I went to a local battery supplier for all my battery bank cables. By the time I bought all the black/red cable, cable ends and heat shrink tubing and then the crimper I found it was only a little more expensive to have them do it. They came out great, crimped ends covered with heat shrink black/red cables. Worked out fine. All 20 cables cost me about $500. The reason for so many cables is that I went with all series for 24V/400ah to two copper bus bars one + one - an then I can tap off of these for other needs. I have a Vanner equalizer for the 12v. Has worked out great so far.
Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL

Online luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 10:44:18 AM »
I went to a local battery supplier for all my battery bank cables. By the time I bought all the black/red cable, cable ends and heat shrink tubing and then the crimper I found it was only a little more expensive to have them do it. They came out great, crimped ends covered with heat shrink black/red cables. Worked out fine. All 20 cables cost me about $500. The reason for so many cables is that I went with all series for 24V/400ah to two copper bus bars one + one - an then I can tap off of these for other needs. I have a Vanner equalizer for the 12v. Has worked out great so far.

I wish that was the case but I live in B/F Az and no one makes cables except the small stuff mainly for the boat and the skidoo crowd you say 2/0 or 4/0 they give you the registered bull look at a bastard calf look

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:53:25 AM by luvrbus »

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 11:01:03 AM »
 they give the registered bull look at a bastard calf look  ....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Online chessie4905

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 11:14:37 AM »
I thought B/F was in Egypt!
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Online luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 11:57:23 AM »
We have one here too John lol,now starting today we will be invaded by the Harleys I was out this morning and the Harley people are like flies they are every where in packs

Offline Tnghost

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 12:27:49 PM »
Luvr how's the weather in Panama was gonna ride down for bike rally but I got burned so now recouping
75 mc8 bubba and Marie somewhere camping in tennessee

Offline Dave5Cs

• 1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 12:31:23 PM »
Someone on here( maybe Gumpy not sure) told about and showed in pictures how to make the ends out of 1/2" and 3/4" copper steam pipe pieces. I used welding cable and copper pipe.
Cut pieces 2-1/2 long put flux in pipe, put wire end in pipe leaving 1" hollow or stop pushing the wire to make flat end with hole, smash with hammer until tight around the wire end and flatten end that will be drilled for battery bolt. Now hold horizontal in vice and run solder into joint of pipe top until full. Put die-Electric grease on the whole end and cover connection with shrink wrap.
Thanks to whom ever that was it works great and I spray the ends with the red stuff when done.
Cheap to.
Dave5Cs
"PATHFINDER" (PFBus)
 1998 Jeep TJ (PFTOED)